SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Inflatable air matress advice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inflatable air matress advice Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
I have been on the fence about purchasing a Air Bed/mattress for inside the house.
It would be nice to have an alternative to guests sleeping on the coaches and I don't feel like setting up a spare bedroom with a fixed bed and mattress.
I would want a mattress that is rugged ( as soon as the Grand kids spot it inflated it will become a trampoline) but still comfortable to sleep on.

Any suggestions?

Posts: 4631 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
I've slept on a lot of thin airbeds and always sank down to the floor.
I would go with a tall one with build in pump like this.

Link

Posts: 1060 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
REI Camp Bed 3.5

Not sure if they are still making them or not, but these are more comfortable than any "air mattress" out there. If you can get past the fact that they are REI, you won't regret sleeping on one.

Posts: 20118 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I used to camp a lot. I never had an air mattress last more than a seasons or two of use. Cheap ones. Fancy ones. All the same story.

So my advice is to buy a cheap one, use it until it wears out, then buy another cheap one to replace it. Rinse and repeat.

Posts: 32524 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I'm looking primarily for a thick mattress (about 24"+) that inflates with an air pump. Queen size.
I have always liked Coleman for reliable products.

Posts: 4631 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I bought one from Costco. It works well enough for adults. It has an automatic motor that maintains pressure. and it does fold away neatly.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19676 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
It has been my experience that over time they stretch. Then you fill. They stretch some more. You fill some more. Repeat until one day you are on the floor or the frame supporting.

If you are cool with this knowing there isn't a way to change it and you will need to replace at a future time then get one.

By the way, grand kids jumping on it will increase the replacement frequency. Wink

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
We have 2 Coleman mattresses. Both have survived multiple grandchildren *sleeping* on them for the past 5 years.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
We have 2 Coleman mattresses. Both have survived multiple grandchildren *sleeping* on them for the past 5 years.

LOL Smile

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7102 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
We gought one for pretty much the exact same reasons as expressed in the OP maybe ten years ago or so. I don't recall that it has ever supported a human overnight, but maybe a dog or two. It seems my relatives would much rather occupy the couch than an air mattress, it isn't that nice a couch.

Posts: 6487 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Search on the inter-webs for 'roll-up mattresses'.

We have two of them which are similar to this. . .

https://www.amazon.com/Milliar...8-22#customerReviews

. . .which we use primarily for when my daughter has sleep-over parties.

They are pricier than inflatable mattresses but they are more durable and comfortable.

Rob

Posts: 3483 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
After a fair amount of research, I just bought this one today from Academy for $99:

https://www.academy.com/p/inte...d?sku=queen-mattress

Built in pump, great reviews on Amazon, and something I hadn’t seen before- it has a built in “headboard”, so pillows don’t fall off the head of the bed.

I inflated it with no issues, and it seems comfortable, but it won’t get used until Sunday, and then for a week. I’ll be happy to report back after a week of use.

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We’ve had inflatables but the indestructibility of these were a better choice for us (and may be for you) and easily handle adult and grandkids alike. Essentially the same mattress used in Navy ship berthing compartments. You can store them easily under existing bed frames. https://militarysupplyhouse.com/sleepus3.htm

Posts: 289 | Location: North Central Florida | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
My wife bought an Aerobed from QVC years ago, for when the bedrooms filled up when family was visiting. We're still using it, and I've used it myself a few times. It's pretty comfortable.

I just looked, and I see they carry Beautyrest now.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
A few weeks ago I bought one from Costco on sale for $99, normally $149. It's a queen size, super thick and has a "headboard". The day after I bought it our Sam's flyer came in the mail. While the brand listed was different, I would bet $100 they both came from the same factory. And the one at Sam's was on sale for $59. So just this week I took back the one to Costco and got the one from Sam's.

This is the one we got; https://www.samsclub.com/p/int...22?xid=plp_product_2

Posts: 2307 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
After a fair amount of research, I just bought this one today from Academy for $99:

https://www.academy.com/p/inte...d?sku=queen-mattress

Built in pump, great reviews on Amazon, and something I hadn’t seen before- it has a built in “headboard”, so pillows don’t fall off the head of the bed.

I inflated it with no issues, and it seems comfortable, but it won’t get used until Sunday, and then for a week. I’ll be happy to report back after a week of use.

Please keep me informed as to your experience with this mattress.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Aerobed.

A roommate used my aerobed as her primary sleeping surface for a whole year. I still have it and it still works.

Posts: 13049 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Costco and Sam's usually has inflatables on promotion this time of year. With a built-in pump, easy release, storage bag and at least 12-18" off the floor, very suitable for guests staying over. Aerobed was pretty popular for awhile, I'm sure there's other brands, shouldn't have to pay more than $100 for a queen-sized bed.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
Amazon Sleeplux $73

Soft, built in pillow, easily inflates and deflates, and not low to the ground.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14011 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post