SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why Every American Should Care That Diesel Prices Are Surging Across The Country
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why Every American Should Care That Diesel Prices Are Surging Across The Country Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Almost $6 a gallon around here for diesel now and like the article states, even if you don't have a diesel vehicle the fact that ships, trains and most importantly tractor trailers all run on the stuff is going to have a really big impact on all of us:

quote:

Why Every American Should Care That Diesel Prices Are Surging Across The Country

Zero Hedge
MONDAY, MAY 02, 2022 - 10:20 PM

Gasoline prices are increasing almost daily, pinching the wallets and pocketbooks of nearly all Americans with cars. However, as bad as that news is, diesel prices are surging even more across the country.

Today’s truckstop retail diesel prices hit a new record of $5.32/gallon. Since February 1st, national truckstop diesel prices have increased by $1.57/gallon. For an owner-operator whose truck gets 6.5 miles per gallon, this equates to a cost increase of $0.24 per mile.

To many Americans (including politicians), diesel prices are so removed from their version of reality that they often dismiss the importance of diesel to the U.S. and global economies. However, diesel is the fuel that drives the economy and leaves major industries vulnerable to cost shocks.

Without diesel fuel, the U.S. economy would collapse in a matter of days. Our supply chains would completely shrivel, almost overnight.

Trucks use it to haul our goods across the country. Of all Class 8 trucks (the big ones), 97% use diesel. No, Elon Musk is not going to save us here. When Tesla announced the Semi in 2017, Musk projected that over 100,000 would be produced by 2022. Today there are less than 20, mostly prototypes.

Trains also depend on diesel to transport products across the country. Almost every train in the country depends on diesel for energy.

Even a large portion of our electricity is indirectly powered by diesel. Over one-fifth (22%) of our electricity in the United States comes from coal. Diesel-powered trains transport coal to power plants across the nation.

Diesel is also critical to our imports and exports, because 80% of the ships that transport products via the ocean are powered by diesel.

A world without diesel would mean that our grocery stores and restaurants would run out of food, retail store shelves would be empty, and hospitals would run out of medical supplies. But that is just scratching the surface.

Farmers use diesel to power most of their machinery. According to the Diesel Technology Forum, diesel is critical to the farming industry:

One reason why U.S. agriculture is among the most productive and economically valuable in the world; producing more yield in less time with fewer inputs, is thanks to the advancements in the machines and equipment that do the planting, harvesting and tending to the land. Today, diesel engines power the majority of agricultural equipment in the U.S. and around the world necessary to plant, cultivate and harvest crops and transport them to markets or for processing and then delivered ultimately to the consumer.

Diesel engines power more than two-thirds of all farm equipment, transport 90% of its product and pump one-fifth of its water in the United States. Ninety-six percent of the large trucks that move agricultural commodities to railheads and warehouses are powered by a diesel engine. One hundred percent of the freight locomotives, marine river grain barges and ocean-going vessels that deliver these products to markets at home and abroad are powered by diesel.

In the agricultural sector, there is no cost-effective substitute for diesel engines with the same combination of energy efficiency, power and performance, durability and reliability. Diesel dominates the entire “farm supply chain” – planting the product, tending the crop (watering, fertilizers, and pesticides), harvesting the product and even bringing the product to market by truck, rail or ship. Farm tractors, combines, irrigation pumps and other equipment are the workhorses in an industry vital to our national economy and quality of life.

Nearly every fishing vessel around the world uses diesel for power. Without diesel, our fishing food supply chain would collapse.

Diesel also powers the construction industry. From the Diesel Technology Forum:

Roughly 850,000 diesel-powered vehicles nationwide are in use bringing supplies, materials and workers to and from U.S. construction sites. Earthmovers, bulldozers, bucket loaders, backhoes, cranes, pavers, excavators and motor graders are all essential to building and expanding our economic infrastructure. For most of these machines, there is simply no substitute for diesel power. No viable alternative has yet emerged for equipment that exceeds 500 horsepower; some construction engines produce several thousand horsepower.

Since diesel powers the industrial economy, the recent surges in prices will put additional inflationary pressures on the U.S. economy – in the sectors that have already experienced unprecedented inflation – transportation, agriculture, and construction.

But this may be less damaging than demand destruction that may come along with price surges, especially in transportation and construction.

Link

Posts: 33862 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Yep, the increased costs to truckers and anyone else using Diesel will be passed on to the consumer, same as always.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Funny, I was just watching a Fox News interview with Mike Rowe who was talking about the effect on trucking.

Posts: 5768 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
$6.299 in my little corner of Montco, PA today.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5293 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
On Long Island I’m seeing anywhere from 5.99 to 6.49. Seems it goes up from the time I leave home for work until the time I return. Trying to stay out of the throttle to stretch it as much as possible. It’s 2.30+ more per gallon than regular. It’s bullshit!!!

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7508 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When we lived in Wyoming in the mid-1970's I remember the price for diesel was never higher than that of gasoline, and was usually quite a bit less - if gas was at $0.75 then diesel would be around $0.50.

When did the shift from diesel consistently lower than gas to always more than gas occur, and why?

Posts: 4988 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Just saw another article that said the skyrocketing prices are due to oil producers shipping it out of the Gulf as fast as they can to South America and Europe.

So we are going to get fucked over this summer and eventually face rationing because it's more profitable to ship it elsewhere Roll Eyes

Posts: 33862 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I owned the VW TDI, Diesel fuel was a penny or two more then RUG. And, 55 MPG on Diesel was a great feeling.

I sold the car back to VW when Diesel fuel prices rose to a dollar or so above RUG.

I feel for the independent truckers who have to bear the high fuel prices.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The increase in fuel prices will be passed along as fuel surcharges. Eventually you and I as consumers will pay the price in higher prices on everything transported. The company I work for has been raising our prices steadily for almost two years. This will ultimately be passed along as well to the consumer.

Posts: 189 | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our fuel bill went $25 grand a month to almost 50 grand. Fuel surcharges and price increases are our only way to keep up. Only about a quarter of that is for our semis and dump trucks, the rest is off road fuel for excavators, dozers etc. some jobs we’re burning a thousand gallons a day. We’ve got several big rock trenchers that’ll go thru 250 gal a day if running balls to the wall. We’ve been very fortunate that business has stayed strong so far but with all these rising costs it’s got come to a screeching halt sooner or later. I feel for the independent broker trucks we hire and any OTR hauler, unless you are really established, it’s a hard go with price increases

Posts: 461 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Works to Farm
Picture of Kyjondeere
posted Hide Post
The farmers (as well as the consumers) are really getting screwed. As all these inputs (diesel, fertilizer, etc) skyrocket, the individual farmer has no control over prices they get for their product. The prices continue to go up at the store, however, it’s not trickling down to the growers, at least not for beef producers. The packers are the ones making bank from the cost increases.

Posts: 601 | Location: Western KY | Registered: November 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I was going to run to the Kubota dealer and pick up filters/oil. I figured that at $5.39/gallon it'd cost me almost $75 dollars to drive to and from. I ordered them online for $30 shipping.

Ridiculous.

Posts: 20125 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Poor Rail Service Threatens US Economy, Shippers Tell Federal Regulators

https://www.zerohedge.com/mark...l-federal-regulators

Utilities are worried that the slowdown in coal deliveries could threaten U.S. electricity supply and destabilize the power grid.

Chemical producers say erratic rail service has forced them to curtail production of essentials like chlorine used to treat public drinking water systems and the plastics used in medical products.

And one of the nation’s largest retailers of diesel fuel, renewable diesel, ethanol, and diesel exhaust fluid says Union Pacific’s plan to cut its shipments by 50% will create fuel shortages, bring trucking to a halt, and raise prices at the pump.

Those were among the shipper concerns raised on Wednesday during a second day of hearings on railroad service problems that have been created by a shortage of train crews.

“The nation’s supply chains are in a dire situation today because of this. And it’s not getting better, it’s getting worse. And the longer it goes on, the worse it’s going to get,” Ross Corthell, chair of the National Industrial Transportation League’s rail committee, told the Surface Transportation Board.

He adds: “I don’t want to be doomsday, but it’s critical to our national security at some point in time. We have to be able to move commodities. And it’s becoming more and more challenging every day.”

Shippers complained about how lengthy delays, erratic service, and missed switches forced them to curtail or halt production or shift some shipments to more expensive trucks. Some products, such as chlorine and coal, have no alternative to rail. “We need to move coal and right now it’s just not happening,” says Katie Mills, a lawyer for the National Mining Association.

Shameek Konar, CEO of Pilot Travel Centers, says UP’s plan to restrict traffic as a way to ease congestion will squeeze already tight supplies of diesel fuel nationwide, and particularly of renewable diesel fuel required in California.

UP initially asked Pilot to curtail its shipments by 26%, but subsequently said it would have to reduce its carloads by 50% or face railroad-imposed embargoes, Konar says. Unlike some shippers, who ordered extra cars as cycle times increased on UP, Pilot’s car fleet has held steady since January. UP gave Pilot a week to voluntarily reduce shipments but has not yet issued an embargo, Konar says. Pilot outlined the situation in a filing to the board last week.

Eric Gehringer, UP’s executive vice president of operations, says the railroad continues to work with customers like Pilot to fully understand their car supply and shipment needs. “We’re still working through those details,” he says. “So we’re not pressuring them, saying you have to be at this level by this date. We’re still in the collaborative phase of ‘How can we do this together?’ ”

More at link

Posts: 12730 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Utilities are worried that the slowdown in coal deliveries could threaten U.S. electricity supply and destabilize the power grid.

Purely anecdotal, but I still see mile long coal filled trains going through town every day. No slow down (yet) in these parts.

That's not to say that it's not a problem, nor the other issues raised in the article. This country is in a world of hurt and we've got two and a half more years to get through.

Posts: 20125 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Fossil fuels are evil; so sayeth the psychotic leftists and globalists who know what is best for us. Only it’s not about what is best for us, it’s about destroying the middle class and creating a two tier wealth chart- a large lower class and a tiny upper. Sadly, the brainwashed left believes that the only way we can save the world is to go electric which as we all know is fueled mainly by fossil fuels (a fact the left ignores like its life depends on it).

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15616 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
When we lived in Wyoming in the mid-1970's I remember the price for diesel was never higher than that of gasoline, and was usually quite a bit less - if gas was at $0.75 then diesel would be around $0.50.

When did the shift from diesel consistently lower than gas to always more than gas occur, and why?
More than a decade ago. My old posts have been pruned but the EPA implemented the ultra low sulfur diesel regulations that matched the European’s regs. In other words, knowingly promulgated regulations that had lowered refinery diesel yields and required lubricity additives (ie constant cost passed onto consumers).

Then, the EPA promulgated the emissions laws for on-road Diesel engines which decreased mpg. On top of that, promulgated the emissions laws for off-road and fixed Diesel engines which increased the amount of diesel burned per hour.

Diesel typically costs the same as premium unleaded.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23308 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Just saw another article that said the skyrocketing prices are due to oil producers shipping it out of the Gulf as fast as they can to South America and Europe.

So we are going to get fucked over this summer and eventually face rationing because it's more profitable to ship it elsewhere Roll Eyes
The gov’t made our diesel fungible when they made US diesel spec match European diesel spec.

The government also constantly (took a pause under Trump admin) moved the needle on refinery emissions which cut refinery yields of diesel. Spend hundreds of millions and improve yields and they move the needle again.

I do take issue with one of your assertions blaming oil producers. Oil producers have nothing to do with diesel as their product is crude oil, condensate, and natural gas. Zero Hedge also got it wrong blaming oil refiners as they have zero control of where it goes after custody transfer meters (ie they’ve sold it to someone else) on the docks. I mentioned the fungible diesel earlier because some of the northeast receives its refined product from barges or ships from the Gulf Coast but since it’s fungible it’s destination is up for bid. In other words, the government manipulated the free market (eg fungible diesel spec and throttling refinery yields in northeast) and now the northeast gets to bid against the Europeans and the southeast (zero refineries outside of Alabama) to cover its refinery capacity shortage.

BTW, Zero Hedges assertion that refining capacity is struggling is different from mine. They’re looking at the last few months and leaving out the fact that refineries are taking planned maintenance (called a turnaround) since it’s the slow time of year and in some places COVID restrictions postponed turnarounds 1 or 2 years. They’ll be out of turnarounds before peak season hits upping US refining capacity.

Why do you think we’ll face rationing? Didn’t happen in 2008 with the last diesel “crisis” or any other global crisis the last 40 years.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23308 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
Yes we should. Breaks my heart for farmers and truck drivers alike. There were some articles I read somewhere about the daily costs of running farm equipment and what it is now with the hike. It was unbelievable. We are being set up for a major failure at every level.

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Yep, the increased costs to truckers and anyone else using Diesel will be passed on to the consumer, same as always.

Because diesel is now ultra low sulpher and refined more than the previous low sulpher diesel and well you can thank the EPA and their taxes on it too.

Sad thing is we have the largest oil reserves in the world and we don't use them. In 40-50 years, our use of oil will be much much less as solar and battery technology advances.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post