SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question about Delta shower and tub shower faucets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about Delta shower and tub shower faucets Login/Join 
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted
One faucet is tub/shower combo single knob on/off.
One faucet is shower only single knob on/off.

When either is turned on (counter clockwise turn), the water comes on and stays on until the knob is in the middle. When the knob is in the middle the water shuts off. Continuing to turn, water comes back on and stays on until knob stop is reached.

So, the question I have is how to get the water to stay on through the entire sweep of the knob?

Using in the wide open position provides scalding hot water. Using in the position right before the water shuts off in the middle produces an almost tolerable tepid shower. I get there is a mixer issue, but don't know how to search google to resolve the issue. "Shower on off on" gets nothing. Smile

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I don't recall the brand, but we had the opposite problem in our old house (water would not turn off).
Replaced the cartridge behind the handle & the problem went away.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15331 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
There is a rotational stop that may not be set correctly.

It is supposed to be set so max temp prevents scalding.
Do you know the model of your controls?

Or post pics.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43886 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
There is a rotational stop that may not be set correctly.

It is supposed to be set so max temp prevents scalding.
Do you know the model of your controls?

Or post pics.

What he said. I know with a MOEN faucet as you describe you pull off handle and make adjustments so water temp is correct. Sounds like the adjustment piece. Should be able to YouTube your delta faucet cartridge replacement how to. As part of the cartridge replacement you do the adjustments.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonATI
posted Hide Post
The valves that are pressure balanced have a "float" that glides back and forth balancing the temperature.
A piece of sediment might be causing the float to stick, you could take out the cartridge and see if you can shake it and hear it moving back and forth, and also flush it to remove any sediment.

Posts: 429 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: October 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
This is the single shower example. It could be as old as 1997. The first photo is in an off position. Water is on from there to next photo. The second photo shows Second off position. Been showering at position just prior to second off. Knob will rotate until final stop and be off again.

I havent gone crazy trying to reposition stops, but the brass one appears to be adjustable. It seems like other stops might be missing?

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Tub/shower combo faucet set up the same way. Also has same symptom described in post above.

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Adjusted wrong.

I have installed a few of these in new homes back in the day, but older than yours... early 70's through the early 90s.

There are multiple models with slightly different setups but adjustments are similar. When set up correctly you should travel full cold to full hot with no interruption in between. With the stop off, and the stem rotated 360 degrees you will find two full on spots and two full off spots because of there being two waterpaths. If you put the stop on 180° from correct it will reverse the hot and cold inputs... like reversing the pipes, don't ask me how I know this Big Grin

From Delta.
https://www.deltafaucet.com/vi...?videoId=n2_uZ7wgV1I

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Adjusted wrong. Agreed

[Snip]

There are multiple models with slightly different setups but adjustments are similar. When set up correctly you should travel full cold to full hot with no interruption in between.Agreed

With the stop off, and the stem rotated 360 degrees you will find two full on spots and two full off spots because of there being two waterpaths. If you put the stop on 180° from correct it will reverse the hot and cold inputs... like reversing the pipes, don't ask me how I know this Big Grin

From Delta.
https://www.deltafaucet.com/vi...?videoId=n2_uZ7wgV1I Saw that, but it doesn't look like that in my photo.

I agree, something ain't right. Smile Does the white plastic need adjusted or the brass piece or both?

TIA

Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
If you have not messed with anything there is no way the limit stops are out of adjustment. They don't change by themselves.
Pull out the cartridge and replace it. Check for mineral buildup back in the valve where the water comes out to make sure there are no obstructions.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I agree with reels, something is wrong with the valve... probably easiest solution is to replace it/them.... the only thing is is sounds like both do it.. which is strange.... I suspect some kind of build up in the units and a defect probably in the original design...

by the way... you need to shut the water off to the valve (both hot and cold) before you take it apart.....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Adjustment may have been wrong since last time someone fiddled with it. YouTube is your friend here. Figure out the faucet models, search “adjusting Delta .......”.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Well....

Was going to do cartridge replacement myself. Heard the awful snap of CPVC. Emergency trip to Home Depot and it is at least back to sealed (hopefully, pressure check in morning). If not sealed, I have enough new CPVC and sharkbite fittings to get it sealed.

Plan to see about Saturday plumbing service to replace valve. There goes my secret squirrel money. Roll Eyes
Guess if it is sealed up, I can push the plumber out to next week and avoid weekend charges.

On the bright side, I have confirmed this is the original installed unit. It is a Delta 1400 series. It isn't fair that proper access holes aren't installed to allow maintenance on plumbing. I will get to learn how to tape and mud for a sheetrock repair.

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'm not a plumber but I am pretty mechanically inclined... I don't think I've taken on a plumbing job that didn't take at least two if not three trips to the store.....

Heck, it's Winter... you don't need to wash but every 5 or 7 days.....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
My sacrifice to the gods of plumbing must have worked! Woke up and turned on the water and no leaks in past hour.

That means I am back to square one. I will research plumbers and schedule some time with one because while they work, they ain't right and that messes with my equilibrium. Smile