SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Cat Making a Mess
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Cat Making a Mess Login/Join 
Picture of BrianC
posted
I moved recently and I don't think the cat is adapting well. By that I mean she's taking dumps on the floor rather than in the litter box (which is clean, no excuses). I try to clean up right away, but I discovered some that have dried. Does anyone know how to clean a hardwood floor without scraping the wood?

"Television is called a medium because nothing on it is well done." -- Fred Allen

Posts: 11139 | Location: Here. Now. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianC:
I moved recently and I don't think the cat is adapting well. By that I mean she's taking dumps on the floor rather than in the litter box (which is clean, no excuses). I try to clean up right away, but I discovered some that have dried. Does anyone know how to clean a hardwood floor without scraping the wood?

Our one cat actually started doing this. No idea why. She’s about 5 and is the stupider of the two cats, and does shit like this. Luckily, the litter boxes are in the basement. She was shitting behind boxes of stuff. Just found 6 piles.

I solved the problem by putting new litter in the boxes (maybe she decided she didn’t like the smell or texture), removing anything she could shit behind, and covering the entire basement floor, especially the spots where she pooped before in crinkled aluminum foil. Seems to have fixed the problem.

In regards to your wood floor poop, I’ve come back after long weekends to find dried puke and hair balls in our wood floors...wet rag soaking on it to loosening the dried crap should work. Shouldn’t damage the floors. I’ve even soaked simple green on dried puke for a few hours to get it up.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Simple Green is most definitely your friend.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
It might not be lack of adjustment as cats also have to communicate medical problems by pooping and peeing outside the litter.

I have an 18 year old cat and she has moved extensively (born upper midwest and lived there 2 years, 3 years SoCal, 4 years Houston, 5 years Anchorage, 2 years Calgary, and 2 years in current location). She has had a couple bouts of this over the years and when I didn’t figure out the problem she escalated to peeing outside the litter. This communicating medical issues by poop and pee has cost me 1 mattress (lesson learned is I now have waterproof mattress pad) and many thousand dollars in vet bills. One of the bouts was an abscessed tooth and last year’s bout was constipation and arthritis pain.

Also, I’ve learned quite a bit about litter box mgmt from the vet and reading. Cats like:
  • feeling safe when using the litter. Being next to something loud (eg clothes dryer) doesn’t make them feel safe. If there is another pet ambushing them when they get out of the litter switching from covered to uncovered litter is good.
  • it being too much effort to get to the litter. When I moved to Anchorage it was a large 2 story and nights were spent upstairs and days spent downstairs. Climbing a flight of stairs to use litter was no bueno so I put a downstairs litter box in. Also, the top entry litter boxes look cool to reduce litter tracking but as a cat ages they’ll quit using it as it’s too much effort or just plain hurts. In my current house, it’s one story but I have 2 different litter box styles side by side and she alternates between them.
  • don’t like it to hurt when getting in litter. With Splash’s arthritis, I had to get her a lower height front entry litter box. She uses it more than her old front entry litter box but still uses the old litter box.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23346 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    It's not you,
    it's me.
    Picture of RAMIUS
    posted Hide Post
    Whatever the cause, try to solve it quick before it becomes a habit for the cat.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of BrianC
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks for the advice, everyone!

"Television is called a medium because nothing on it is well done." -- Fred Allen

Posts: 11139 | Location: Here. Now. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Poopin all over the place is cuz kitty is pissed at you. I'm not much help with that one. Smile

But do take note of peeing anywhere other than the box (other than males with unadjusted differentials). Apparently that's a very clear and only indication of UTI that you'll get from fuzzy.

I just had a good kitty have one accident and yup, urinary infection.

poor fuzzball was even happy to be taking his antibiotics.

Posts: 231 | Location: Reidville, SC | Registered: October 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Love my fur babies big time! Your cat is telling you something is wrong. I have 3 male babies abd have spent 4200 on bladder surgeries to remove stones.

Posts: 389 | Registered: February 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Try washing litter box and new litter. Even though the litter looks clean the scent on old urine will keep them out of the box.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of BrianC
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by duke762:
    Love my fur babies big time! Your cat is telling you something is wrong. I have 3 male babies abd have spent 4200 on bladder surgeries to remove stones.

Wow! I'll look into that!

You're going to feel
    a little pressure...
    posted Hide Post
    It might be stress from the move. My vet recommended a cat pheromone diffuser. It calms them. Amazon has several options. I think we went with Comfort Zone. Buy a multiple pack so you can cover all areas of the house. They work.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of BrianC
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by RNshooter:
    It might be stress from the move. My vet recommended a cat pheromone diffuser. It calms them. Amazon has several options. I think we went with Comfort Zone. Buy a multiple pack so you can cover all areas of the house. They work.

Bruce

I had to take her to the vet. The had just that in the examining room. I'll look into it.