SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Enough with the hail
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Enough with the hail Login/Join 
posted
A large hail core just scooted south of us by about 1 mile (Plano, TX). Tennis ball sized hail reported on Dallas news. Only heard reports of golf ball sized on ham radio. That's enough of this crap.

Two new roofs, garage doors, gutters and 3 cars damaged in 5 years is enough for me. Just got my wife's FJ out of the shop two weeks ago from storms this time last year.

I don't remember the hail being so bad in the past. Maybe I just got lucky.

Insurance takes care of it all but getting your stuff beat to hell takes it toll on your nerves.

Still, we are luckier than many. A bunch of folks died this time of the season last year.

Posts: 3974 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm with you on this. I live in McKinney. Had the quarter size hail downtown. Dinged up the truck again from the last run few weeks ago.

Put on new roof out of my pocket 2 years ago because of age. Need to get it checked out just for my own satisfaction. In the 12 years I have lived in my house here, I have never had hail bigger than pea size. I thought I lived in an anomaly void of damaging hail that hits all around. Guess my luck has run out.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1141 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
Hail can sure do the damage and take a lot of time to repair. Good luck and hope you don't get pounded this year.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
The DFW area has seen grapefruit sized hail in the past.

I was on the phone one time from my duty station across the country, and my girlfriend was panicking on the other end in Arlington, Texas. She said there was hail the size of large grapefruit. I knew she was exaggerating.

Several months later, I was there and went into the freezer to get some ice. I saw several softball sized balls of ice, obviously aged and frozen quite solid. I asked her what those were.

They were souvenirs from our day on the phone. It was apparent they were much larger when they were 'captured'.

Texas hail will kill you in the open.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apparently Memphis, TN isn't having much fun either.

FedEx Express National Service Disruption

Last updated: April 22, 2017
FedEx Express experienced substantial flight and sort disruptions at the Memphis hub last night due to severe thunderstorms. Potential delays are possible for package deliveries across the U.S. with a delivery commitment of April 22, 2017. FedEx is committed to provide service to the best of our ability. Please continue to check fedex.com for updates.
Continue to check the status of your shipments on fedex.com or go to fedex.com for updates to FedEx Service Alerts. You can also contact FedEx Customer Service at 1.800.GoFedEx 1.800.463.3339 or stay up to date by subscribing to service disruption email notifications at the FedEx Email Subscription Center.
Operational impacts to other FedEx operating companies may vary due to local weather conditions.
Consistent with the provisions of the FedEx Service Guide, FedEx Express money-back guarantee is suspended for U.S. packages and shipments inbound into the U.S. from international locations with a delivery commitment of April 22, 2017.

http://www.fedex.com/us/servicealerts/

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post