SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bomb accidentally went off in truck, setting 4 people on fire in Winnipeg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bomb accidentally went off in truck, setting 4 people on fire in Winnipeg Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Two people are in critical condition after a bomb went off inside a pickup truck in Winnipeg on the weekend, setting ablaze the vehicle and four occupants, police said.

A man, 27, and woman, 20, are fighting for their lives in hospital. A man, 22, and a boy, 17, were treated for serious injuries, including severe burns.

The explosion happened around 11:15 p.m. CT Saturday in the city's Brooklands neighbourhood. Immediately afterwards, the truck drove into a fire hydrant at the intersection of Gallagher Avenue West and Midmar Avenue.

The improvised explosive device was in a bag inside the cab of the truck when it accidentally went off, Winnipeg Police Service spokesman Const. Rob Carver said Tuesday.

"The four victims who were injured were not intended victims," he said.

Carver said he was unable to provide specific answers because of the ongoing investigation. He noted, however, the bag was brought to a 7–Eleven parking lot at Gallagher and Keewatin Street by someone not connected to the four people from the truck.

That person left the bag to go inside the store and it was then picked up by the people from the truck, he said.

Nick Chastellaine, whose girlfriend was the one who took the bag, told CBC she intended to turn it over to police.

Chastellaine wasn't in the truck, but his girlfriend, cousin and friend were three of the four occupants. He said he spoke to them afterward, and they told him they opened the bag to see if there was anything inside to identify the owner.

That's when the bag burst into flames, he said.

"The whole truck, inside the cab, just ignited into flames within like seconds," he said. "All of them are saying it was a flash before their eyes, because they all thought they were going to die."

The person who brought the bag to the 7–Eleven was also not an intended victim and might not have known what was inside, Carver said. He wouldn't elaborate further on what police know about the bomb or its intended target.

"We have some sense of that, but it's not something we can release on at this point," he said. "There are just elements I cannot speak on at this point."

The truck had only driven about 50 metres from the 7–Eleven when the bomb detonated.

Initially, emergency crews responded to what was believed to be a crash that caused the truck to go up in flames. The four people were found outside the vehicle suffering from severe burns.

"It's just luck that they [victims] weren't more seriously injured," said Carver. "We've got video of the truck on fire. It's a horrific scene and I can tell you the Winnipeg Police Service has devoted all of the resources that we can to tying this up."

It is "incredibly alarming" that an IED was out there and injured four people, he said.

"It's obvious that it was designed for maximum effect, to create what it did in that vehicle. Was it designed to do that with an intended victim? I simply don't have that information at this point," Carver said.

"It's reasonable to assume that when someone has gone to all the trouble to make an explosive device of this power, that there's some back story. But I don't have the luxury of being able to share it at this point."

He apologized for being vague about what happened, saying he is struggling to balance the needs of transparency with the need to maintain the integrity of this investigation.

"I know it's confusing … but that's the best we can do at this point," Carver said. "I have spent an inordinate amount of time trying to understand the nuances of this particular case as well."

The message he wants to underscore is that police do not feel there is any continued threat to the public.

"We are not looking for any other devices," he said "We do not believe that someone has randomly put an explosive device out in the public with the intention that innocent victims could be injured."

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone surprised with Trudeau in charge?

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I smell a islamic terrorist, they will probably never reveal...

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8400 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
A pity.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPTKILLER:
Anyone surprised with Trudeau in charge?

Oh I don't know that Trudeau is responsible. I've known some Canucks that pre-date him that would pickup such a package and try to take it home. Sucks the Frogs up there used to blow up mailboxes all the time back in the 60's, so it could have been some senile old Frog that left it outside the 7-11.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
...That person left the bag to go inside the store and it was then picked up by the people from the truck, he said.

Its not a very well written article but I can't be the only one getting this from the article:
some people ripped off a bag that someone else left outside a store... and then it blew up in their vehicle.

**looks like jbcummings posted the same thing while I was writing my post.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Headline: Thieving Canadiens in Karma Bake

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17471 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Meh... Canadians. Meh...

This Canadian on Canadian crime has to stop somehow. Next they'll be bringing it deeper into our borders, just watch.

Many a time I have felt the sting of lawlessness administered by this rogue and barbaric regime. Now we are seeing their true nature. It's not a religion, or a political leaning, or ethnicity. No, it's a 'culture of violence', born of centuries of their lust for vehemence and hatred of all that is right and just.

We must not give up on our fight, we must not flicker out and disappear into the night. We will overcome their tyranny, we will overcome their might. Lest all those that take hold of what is free and good, loose the battle for all that is right.

To my dismay, I've only one life to sacrifice on the alter freedom, righteousness and courage, in my battle against this oppressive beast, this onerous power, this totalitarian dystopia, this Canada.

May we rise up like locusts in the summer wind, with the heart of a lion, the soul of an Eagle, and the power of a Bull, and vanquish their foul existence, driving them back to the cold north wasteland they call home.

We will be vindicated.

We will be vinicated!

H&K-Guy -The Minnesotan

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
So if the victims weren't the intended victims, and the guy who brought the bag and left it outside the 7-11 wasn't the intended victim and "might not have known what was inside", then was the guy who brought the bag and left it outside the 7-11 also a thieving slug who just happened to not try to open the bag before it was stolen by the cruds in the pickup truck?

There's got to be a real Elmore Leonard type story behind all this.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
I for one think that they need more common sense explosive control laws. People of Canada shouldn't have to worry about bombs being left on the streets. Will someone please think of the children?

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
So if the victims weren't the intended victims, and the guy who brought the bag and left it outside the 7-11 wasn't the intended victim and "might not have known what was inside", then was the guy who brought the bag and left it outside the 7-11 also a thieving slug who just happened to not try to open the bag before it was stolen by the cruds in the pickup truck?

I think it wasn't stolen. Why leave the bag outside of the store? I'm thinking it was a "Bag Drop".

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

Agree. It'll be interesting to see how this settles out.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9004 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
There is a lot wrong with this story.... a lot. It will be interesting to see what the police investigation reveals.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38006 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greco:
A pity.

Yes, that they didn't get blown to pieces.

Q

Posts: 26506 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Chastellaine wasn't in the truck, but his girlfriend, cousin and friend were three of the four occupants. He said he spoke to them afterward, and they told him, "Somebody set us up the bomb"".

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15911 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post