SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Elon Musk Tweets that He Wants to Take Tesla Private
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elon Musk Tweets that He Wants to Take Tesla Private Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I got a buddy who just left Amazon to go work for Tesla, doesn't seem like a good move now.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Elon likes publicity so have at it.

quote:
Tesla Faces Deepening Criminal Probe Over Whether It Misstated Production Figures

https://www.wsj.com/articles/t...n-figures-1540576636

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Elon hasn't been in the news lately except for the burning Tesla. Speaking of burning Tesla:

quote:
Elon Musk Faces U.S. Contempt Claim for Violating SEC Accord

https://www.bloomberg.com/news...violating-sec-accord

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
ly

IMO this Obama financed mess of a car company is worth staying away from. Wouldn't invest in or buy a Tesla.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
There was a special on 60 minutes about Chinese electric cars the other day. Chinese companies are looking to build more than 1 million cars this year alone. There were parallels made to the fact that the Chinese government was the main driver behind the incredible expansion.

After all the government money pumped into Tesla, why are they so far behind the curve again? Sales of Tesla cars exceeded 2 billion dollars in China in 2017. They broke ground on a factory in China in January. But it is still rare to see one in the US.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
There was a special on 60 minutes about Chinese electric cars the other day. Chinese companies are looking to build more than 1 million cars this year alone. There were parallels made to the fact that the Chinese government was the main driver behind the incredible expansion.

After all the government money pumped into Tesla, why are they so far behind the curve again? Sales of Tesla cars exceeded 2 billion dollars in China in 2017. They broke ground on a factory in China in January. But it is still rare to see one in the US.

They are so far behind the curve because no matter how much money the government pumps into them they are still not feasible for most folks driving practices in the US and they are still crazy expensive and not practical over gasoline vehicles.
As to popularity that is kind of relative.
We are over 2 hours from the nearest dealer and I see at least 5 a day. One of our grocery stores even has about 5 Tesla Superchargers in their lot and the Whole Foods have the standard EV chargers.

I am not knocking Tesla and the technology if I had the coin I would have one but strictly for the fun aspect and nothing to do with practicality.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

When I can buy a used Tesla for $5,000, I'll buy a Tesla. They don't really have any value for me, and that's my limit for most vehicles. I have to really, really like something to pay more than that for it.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I’m 15 min from two dealers and see several Tesla’s per day.

The big sedan (Model S) is $15k more than a comparably equipped BMW. Same goes for the SUV (Model X).

Never seen their “budget” Model 3 around.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23259 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
They are so far behind the curve because no matter how much money the government pumps into them they are still not feasible for most folks driving practices in the US and they are still crazy expensive and not practical over gasoline vehicles.

My question was completely rhetorical and pointed towards the fact that during the reign of Barry the Red, untold millions of taxpayer monies were pumped into the technology that was in no way ready for use in the US.

And as Perception points out, they are out of range price wise in addition to no “fueling up” infrastructure.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Tesla is back in the news today with this Forbes article: Tesla's Huge Sales Miss Exposes Its Negative Cash Flow

Big takeaways:
  • Tesla's credit default swaps reached 22 cents on the dollar in morning trading, an extremely elevated level
  • Bernstein analyst Toni Sacconaghi is now estimating negative cash flow for Tesla of $1.1 billion in the first quarter, but, even more importantly, negative free cash flow of $200 million in both the second and third quarters
  • Their chief douche, Elon Musk, is due in court today in Manhattan

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23259 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of bigdeal
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    Tesla is back in the news today with this Forbes article: Tesla's Huge Sales Miss Exposes Its Negative Cash Flow

Big takeaways:
  • Tesla's credit default swaps reached 22 cents on the dollar in morning trading, an extremely elevated level
  • Bernstein analyst Toni Sacconaghi is now estimating negative cash flow for Tesla of $1.1 billion in the first quarter, but, even more importantly, negative free cash flow of $200 million in both the second and third quarters
  • Their chief douche, Elon Musk, is due in court today in Manhattan
  • I've read three stories so far today regarding Tesla's 'issues' and they are a bit more dire than some in the media are letting onto. Apparently sales volumes for their Model S and X vehicles have cratered. The company's cash flow situation prevents them from reacting to market conditions, and Model 3 production is way behind. The best article I read so far was entitled..."What do you call a growth company that isn't growing anymore?". Tesla reports earnings around the end of April, which should also be telling.

-----------------------------
    Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Tesla reports earnings around the end of April, which should also be telling.
    I don't trust Musk, I think it should be audited.

The guy behind the guy
    Picture of esdunbar
    posted Hide Post
    Public companies are required by law to have audited financials.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    I should have been clearer on what I meant by audit. Every one of the Big 4 accounting firms also sell other consulting services to the same companies they audit, and every year there are big headlines of conflicts of interest for the Big 4 audits finding a company is going to fail before it fails.

I meant an independent audit w/o any conflicts of interest and looking out for shareholders not the BOD and executives.

Picture of bigdeal
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    quote:
    Tesla reports earnings around the end of April, which should also be telling.
    I don't trust Musk, I think it should be audited.
    Oh there will be some game playing (like in the past) bringing over some of his other companies credits and funding to offset Tesla losses. If you ran financials only on Tesla, without using any of the bene's fro his other companies, Tesla would plummet in value when trading opened the next morning. Tesla is not a healthy company, and no matter how much corporate and investor hype they offer up, it doesn't change reality.

-----------------------------
    Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post