SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hated taking down this cherry tree.....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hated taking down this cherry tree..... Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted
.... but at least it's getting put to use.
I selected this spindly but straight and healthy cherry tree, that was struggling to grow in the stand of pine, to save when we cleared for our home site 20 years ago. Since then it really started filling out. A few days back lightning struck it (the noise sounded like a rifle was shot right beside me and simultaneously a flash illuminated the bedroom). When I got up and looked at it the strike split in almost in half most of the way so after breakfast I took it down, pacing it on the ground it was 75-80 feet and as typical loaded with cherries.
The split made it not worth trying to sell the logs so they and larger limbs will be firewood, and even the leaves and cherries are going to use, this morning 4 doe and 3 fawns were nibbling away at them. I hated loosing it but at least the house wasn't hit.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7102 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Heck of a hit, we see trees hit like that in FL often, mostly pine trees, the lightening rod of the south..

You could cut some of it up and use to smoke meat as well as fire wood.

Posts: 23492 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

I tried this a couple times but it didn't work very well, all I have is a Weber kettle grill.

Posts: 7102 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
Little tricky, but I use three different Weber kettle grills to smoke various meats. And I love using cherry wood. Can see why not everyone would be interested in bothering with this.

Posts: 2784 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
LOL glad to hear it's "a little tricky", I don't feel so bad now.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
quote:

I tried this a couple times but it didn't work very well, all I have is a Weber kettle grill.

That’s all you need! Are you doing the charcoal snake method? That’s how you can turn a $150 Weber into a smoker that would rival a $1,050 BGE

Posts: 33829 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Just save the chips and shavings from when you cut it up, dry them out, and then a smoke tube will do the work.

Smokin hot link

Posts: 23492 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

.... Are you doing the charcoal snake method? That’s how you can turn a $150 Weber into a smoker that would rival a $1,050 BGE

No, honestly I never heard of that.

Hmm I could use the saw shavings, of course there'd be a little bar oil on them though.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hmm I could use the saw shavings, of course there'd be a little bar oil on them though.

The flavorizer! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Wilted Cherry tree leaves produce cyanide and is deadly to animals who eat them.

Posts: 232 | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Uh oh, I can run them off but I have no idea how to keep them away all day and night!

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15901 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Uh oh, I can run them off but I have no idea how to keep them away all day and night!

Yeah, you might have a whole pile of 'em to skin and BBQ...LOL

Posts: 2784 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post