SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Torn about going to my kids' end of year ceremony
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Torn about going to my kids' end of year ceremony Login/Join 
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
But I don't like missing things that are important to them, and my son said he wanted me to be there.

Depends on your kids. With my kids, I'd lay it out for them what it was going to cost (leaving aside the ex-in-law issues) and letting them know that it is a choice between going to that event or having another whole day with them to use when they are out of school to do whatever we want for the whole day. If they still preferred that I come to the event, I'd go and suck it up as far as the ex-in-laws. Knowing my kids though, they'd be unlikely to make that choice. YMMV.

Posts: 7058 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I'd go. On top of the other points folks in this camp made, I also think little kids want to show off their parents to their friends, too (look how cool my dad is) and I think that attitude fades as they grow.
I don't know how many times just this year I've been stopped on my way out of the preschool with my son by another child who wanted to introduce him to their grands or a friend of their folks who stopped in, etc, just on a whim.. now imagine if the kids have been prepped for this event by their teachers and have been told all the parents, caregivers, etc would be there.. and you weren't.
It does depend on your kid's perspective, though, so I'd ask, and try to be as careful as I could not to color things better one way or the other, so I'd get an accurate read on what they really want.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5496 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post