SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Torn about going to my kids' end of year ceremony
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Torn about going to my kids' end of year ceremony Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
I'm supposed to work the day of, but looked at the roster today and we have plenty of bodies. It's my daughter's kindergarten graduation and my son's award ceremony for the end of 3rd grade.

Current plan is for my wife to meet my ex that night to exchange. We're doing dentist visit for some fillings for my 9yo that can't manage to floss the next day, then taking the kids to the beach for the weekend.

But I don't like missing things that are important to them, and my son said he wanted me to be there.

The conflict: it is over an hour away, and it will require the usage of 10 hours of vacation that will take away from a day I would have with them over the summer, that would keep them from a day of childcare. Plus leaving the house by 7am after working til 11 the night before.

Mostly, it means I'll have to spend the morning (2 different ceremonies separated by 2 hours) at a school where the only people I will know are my ex mother in law, whom I truly despise, my ex wife, her boyfriend, and probably some other ex inlaws. I guess that's the part I dread. But the prior paragraph's are legitimate conflicts, too. 10 hours of vacation is a big deal, seeing as how I only have 6 days worth saved up at the moment for the summer, and it takes me a month to earn one day off. I lost hundreds of hours saved when I left my old dept to come here.

The part that makes it hard for me to decide is because my father never came to crap for me. Hell, he didn't even come to my wedding last month. Or my brother's, for that matter. I never want my kids to feel like that.

Then again, he never took a day off to spend with me, in my entire life, that I remember. I guess I'm ahead already. Every day I'm off and can, those kids are with me. I usually don't hesitate to burn vacation to be with them, either.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11463 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Tough call.

Everyone's knee jerk reaction is "be there for the kids".
Mostly these folks also rarely have any idea how these situations feel.

My knee jerk would be to skip it.

1) you do have legitimate time issues.
2) you have some fun time already planned with the kids.

Also if you would be surrounded by exes and there are some bad feelings there, the kids are likely to pick up on it (no matter how well you think you are faking it). That could dampen THEIR moods and make the day less enjoyable for them.

I say let the ex side have this day and enjoy your time with them later.
Talk to your son about and explain things regarding the time/leave issues (not the "get along" stuff, obviously). You might be surprised how much he understands about such things.

Posts: 6345 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
Tough call.

Everyone's knee jerk reaction is "be there for the kids".
Mostly these folks also rarely have any idea how these situations feel.

My knee jerk would be to skip it.

I'm in the same boat. Skip it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30881 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I say it would be a no go for me, but then many folks think I am in inconsiderate asshole...

Kindergarten and third grade "ceremonies" aren't exactly milestones in my book. High school and college graduations? Absolutely.

I would however explain it to the kids and make a date for a special day that works for your schedule and visitation as well for a phone call that evening so they can tell you all about their special day..

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11210 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Skip it.

It's either these things now, which aren't going to be big deals to anyone once they're over, or an extra day of true quality time with them over the summer.

No contest.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16310 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Tough call but I also lean toward skipping in favor of higher quality time with them later.

Graduations, including college, were never cause for celebration - one was expected to graduate from college just like thousands upon thousands of others that day.

The cause for celebration was upon receiving employment at a respectable firm upon which the first month's pay would be given to parents in symbolic gratitude.

The challenge is in making your son understand and accept why you won't be there when he wants you to be. For that I haven't a clue. Smile

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13081 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bent but not broken
Picture of maddy345
posted Hide Post
If your son said he wanted you there and you can make it than go. Put your discomfort aside.

Better to be there for them on a day that is special and miss a regular day during the summer.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

God bless the Motor Life Boat and the men & women that run them!

Posts: 3955 | Location: Just out of reach | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would go. The joy of them seeing you supporting them will out weigh the vac time. They will become what see in you.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1140 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maddy345:
If your son said he wanted you there and you can make it than go. Put your discomfort aside.

Better to be there for them on a day that is special and miss a regular day during the summer.

That would be a different story, but as he posted, it sounded to me like nobody expects that he will be there.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16310 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Not going can also be a teaching moment...

Showing that what seems like a big deal (but really isn't) now and wanting the instant gratification of a minor occasion sacrifices a bigger payoff in the long run and reinforces that we all have choices to make and can't always get everything we want.

Pick and choose wisely to make the most of the time available.

They are excited for these "graduations" because they have been conditioned to be. Like so many things, once everything is "special" then nothing really is anymore.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11210 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
As a parent of now 14-year-olds, there are plenty of opportunities for you to "be there" when necessary. Trust me, there will be much bigger things in the future that you ere going to want to sacrifice for, this is not one of them.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12400 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
Go, you'll regret it if you don't. It will mean a lot to your kids to see you there (this stuff is a big deal to them even though it seems silly) and I bet you'll see that on their faces when you walk in. I know I always do with my little guy. I've done some things that made no sense at all to be there for him and the look on his face always made me glad I did.

As for the ex in laws, been there too. No reason for you to sit with them or feel like you have to force conversation. I'm always civil, say hello and smile and then find my own space even a few seats away so that nobody feels they have to make conversation.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I’m not a parent, but I was a child and I remember many times when my parents weren’t “there for” me as I was growing up, and I managed to survived with my psyche intact.

And I’m also amazed at all the ceremonies that I must believe the children really don’t think themselves are very important, and if they do it’s an artificially-induced peer pressure thing: “Billy’s dad was there, why weren’t you?” Time was that the last day of the school year was just the last day of the school year. We finished whatever admin requirements there were such as turning in books, goofed off until it was time to get on the bus, and went home. The fact it was over was enough for us to be happy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47674 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Skip it. You will feel bad, but everyone will get over it. Just have one of the in laws record it, and watch it with him when you see him next. Explain you have to work and instead of coming to this you will have a special day, the whole day together this summer. Trust me, by the end of that day he won't remember or care you couldn't make it, he will remember and love the whole day of fun he had with you.

We can't make every event, every time. Your guilt over your dad is because he came to nothing, didn't even make the effort. That's not you or what your doing. No parent can come to every single event, it happens, your son will be OK and won't even remember it after your next visit.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10752 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Can you use a "mental health day" Wink Wink

Posts: 846 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Your nine year old can process this. Tell him what you are thinking and give him the choice of the extra whole day with you, or the ceremony. You will be glad you you talked with him about it. He will be glad too.

Posts: 8873 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Skip it, but explain why you couldn't attend. I think your kid will understand, and it's a good life lesson for a youngster to see an adult being responsible.

Posts: 27159 | Location: Murphyville Tx | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
There is no question here IMO. Your children are only young once and before you know it they are all grown up. Enjoy these times while you can and support them as much as possible.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I'm in the skip it category.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
I agree about talking to them. a couple hours today or an entire day of fun in the summer.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post