SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for decent dependable light bulbs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for decent dependable light bulbs Login/Join 
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted
What does everyone like for standard A19 light bulbs? I'm looking for something that's 2700k to 3000k, 40w to 60w equivalent, preferably made in USA. LED would be great if it's high CRI.

The closest I can find are made/assembled in USA by Sylvania but I only see them available in daylight/5000k.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
For a couple of years now I have been patronizing 1000bulbs.com for their wide selection and availability of certain hard-to-find sizes. The bulb inventory at the brick and mortars seems to be shrinking, a trip there feels painful and worthless.

Posts: 6789 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I’ve been using Philips led with satisfaction.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13112 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
ALL of the LED modules are made in China. I am unaware of a single made in America LED module. At best, they might be assembled here.

Posts: 6705 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Maybe someday Nichia will make lightbulbs. I know their LEDs are made in Japan.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The closest to the Nichia LED in an indoor lightbulb that I have found is one that Jason Hui from Prometheus Lights designed and has made: LED Lightbulb (ultra-high cri)

I have used Jason's products for over a decade and he really stands behind the products he designs and builds. Check out the background tab on the page above for the process Jason followed when developing this bulb.

As bubbatime says, all of LED modules are made in China and if you look at the specifications on Jason's products, he is clear about where his products are made.

I have enjoyed purchasing Jason's products and count on them for my go to products.

Good luck on your quest to find the light! :-)

Kevin

Posts: 131 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
ALL of the LED modules are made in China. I am unaware of a single made in America LED module. At best, they might be assembled here.

CREE is US based in NC and is building a $1b factory in NY.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21141 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I’ve been using Philips led with satisfaction.

I use Philis warm glow ones. When you dim them they act similar to real lamps and warm in color temp the more it dims.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21141 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

CREE used to be but they were bought by Smart Global Holdings recently

blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I've got some Philips HUE bulbs that have been in constant use since 2014. I just keep buying more, I've yet to have any fail.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13988 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
This reminds me. I’ve been intending to put a dusk to dawn light on my garage. Are there any LED equivalents to the old mercury lights (the kind that buzz in that maddening way that you can hear through the walls, all night long).

I’m also interested in color changing lights that I can set to go less blue as we approach bed time.

Posts: 45565 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

CREE used to be but they were bought by Smart Global Holdings recently

Hopefully keeping US plants?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
CREE = SHIT.

Bought quite a few of these. The first one went dark after two weeks. A few lasted around six months. The rest went to Goodwill.

Hopefully Smart Global Holdings has better QC?

Posts: 9423 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
CREE = SHIT.

Bought quite a few of these. The first one went dark after two weeks. A few lasted around six months. The rest went to Goodwill.

Hopefully Smart Global Holdings has better QC?

I had a similar experience. Purchased based on their reputation, but failed very shortly after first use.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10362 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post