SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2020 dog days of summer thread
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2020 dog days of summer thread Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Here we find ourselves in the dog days of summer. Hot, dry, fire danger, grasshoppers eating everything and anything, just a horrible time or year Wink imho. Bright side is in the next 7 days we loose approx. 16 mins of daylight. So there is light and the end of the tunnel. I am wishing for and early end to summer and a quick rollover to fall..

And please do not bring the virus in to this thread

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19219 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bright side is in the next 7 days we loose approx. 16 mins of daylight. So there is light and the end of the tunnel.

Bright side? Light at the end of the tunnel?
That's a funny way of saying it's getting darker. Razz Big Grin

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24150 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Here we find ourselves in the dog days of summer. Hot, dry, fire danger, grasshoppers eating everything and anything, just a horrible time or year Wink imho. Bright side is in the next 7 days we loose approx. 16 mins of daylight. So there is light and the end of the tunnel. I am wishing for and early end to summer and a quick rollover to fall..

I hate summer, too. We've had plenty of rain, so no major fire danger. It's just humid as hell all the time. Last year our summer weather continued into October. I would love an early fall.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
The remnants of Tropical Storm Whatever rolled through last night. Some wind, half an inch of rain. Big Whoop.

Thought it would be drier and cooler this morning so I tackled the job of replacing the trim on another garage door. Taking off 25 year old pine trim that won't hold a coat of paint for more than 2 years and replacing it with PVC.

Turns out I was wrong. Cooler at 68° but so damned humid I was literally soaked to the skin in half an hour. Sweat running in my eyes, terminal swamp-ass, the works. I powered through and finished but I bet I lost 3 pounds in the process.

C'moooooooooonnnnnn OCTOBER!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15256 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
We've had monsoon season here most of the summer. Not all that hot, just 101% humidity most days.
Wishing for a good drought right now so I don't have to mow the moss so often.

Posts: 9530 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Monsoon storms (usually starting in July) have pretty much skipped AZ this year but not the heat. To many fires w/o the rains to help. We need the rain and snow fall, especially in northern AZ to refill the reservoirs and ground water.

I too am looking forward to fall.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Speaking of dog days, I found these furry miscreants around noonish, in the wild. Well, the floor used to be oak trees, the leathers bovine and the walls were never there until 1945 ... and I don't mean 5:45 P.M. Besides, 100 degree lower Alabama weather demands a siesta.

Posts: 4719 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My weeds REALLY need some rain.....they are dying!!! Plenty hot and dry, but it is the Az. desert after all.

Posts: 6628 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Good grief Ive been trying for months to kill the weeds in my lawn spraying weed killer (which is a great way to get it to rain; leaving car windows down also works wonders) but all it does is turn the lawn yellow for a week...weeds are thriving. Going to just have to go old school and dig them up...

quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
My weeds REALLY need some rain.....they are dying!!! Plenty hot and dry, but it is the Az. desert after all.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Weather is unbelievably perfect in Louisville right now. Nothing like a typical August. Low of 58 and 80 high with light breeze and blue skies. Supposed to be a couple more days of this.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
I'll take summer over dark cold anytime. And I'm out in it.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4620 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
quote:
The remnants of Tropical Storm Whatever rolled through last night. Some wind, half an inch of rain. Big Whoop.

We had a lot more damage in NH than you did, especially the closer you lived to the VT border. Some people are still w/o power. I hate the heat! If I could have temps in the 65-70 degree range, it would be heaven.

Unfortunately, I have to wear body armor in 80+ degree heat for 10 hours a day, and it sucks! Time to retire, I think!!!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Although I like it here year-round, the best thing about living in the mountains is the summer; nothing “doggie” about it. As I mentioned to my siblings, two of whom live in Florida, we are probably only six weeks away from the first snow, so I’m enjoying it while the mid-70s heat continues.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
We had a lot more damage in NH than you did,

It must have changed course significantly to the west. All I had here in Epping was some wind but nowhere near what they were warning and not much in the way of rain which we would have welcomed. I woke up to a bunch of leaves and some small branch tips on the lawn.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I agree...my least favorite time of the year.

What was green, now mostly brown. Cheat grass seeds in all the dogs and cats. Afternoon thunderstorm with more damaging wind or hail than rain. Fires and SMOKE. Grasshopper everywhere. Cloudless skies with a relentless sun.

Come on Fall.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
Glad you guys in NH & ME made out OK in this last storm action.
More than 1/2 million of my NJ neighbors are still without power, more than 24 hrs after Isaias came through.

Dog days indeed.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3142 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Monsoon storms (usually starting in July) have pretty much skipped AZ this year but not the heat.

Right about that. The dew point temp has been in monsoon range a few times, but no storms yet. We have been over 100 degrees for a couple of months (a few days near 110, but mostly 102-105. In the valley (Phoenix area), they run about 5-7 degrees hotter than out here at 1,000 ft higher elevation.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10789 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post