SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    looking for recommendation for ear buds for shooting
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

looking for recommendation for ear buds for shooting Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
OTTO NoizeBarrier Micro in-ear earpro

Tried mine out earlier (with the Comply tips).

I shot my G21 and 351PD (22 Mag and probably the loudest of all my pistols). It seemed to do a better job muffling the 45. As ensigmatic stated, the sound was still loud, but it didn't hurt.

I'm not quite sure what to make of these things. It's a good idea, but I'm not convinced that they are "there" yet. They'd likely be good while out hunting to protect you against that one shot which would otherwise go unprotected, while enhancing your hearing while on high mode. Otherwise, I'll stick with my Sordin muffs.

Considering returning them.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Got my Otto's late last week and had a chance to try them out yesterday.

I was looking for some type of electronic ear buds for the IDPA pistol matches both inside and outside that I participate in. Got to my main indoor range right when they were closing. Was just needing to do a quick check my red dot zero, work on some weak hand only shooting and to try the Ottos out. There was only one other guy on the line several bays down also shooting a smaller bore semi auto hand gun. So far I am more than please with this product, used them on their low setting and had installed the foam inserts that they came with. Previous trips to this indoor range I have needed my over the ear Sordins with foam plugs if folks are shooting rifle/carbine while right next to me.

I will be giving the Ottos a good workout this week while at the IDPA Nationals here in Colorado and will give a up date when I get back.

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I'm not quite sure what to make of these things. It's a good idea, but I'm not convinced that they are "there" yet. They'd likely be good while out hunting to protect you against that one shot which would otherwise go unprotected, while enhancing your hearing while on high mode. Otherwise, I'll stick with my Sordin muffs.

Can you wear muffs while shooting rifle or shotgun? I can't. They interfere with my cheek weld. I'll test the NoizeBarrier Micros at an indoor range to see how they fare compared to my Peltor Tac Pros, but, otherwise, I expect I'll use them only when shooting long guns--which is the sole purpose for which I acquired them.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I still wear muffs over my ear buds while being an RO or shooting. The buds are just for chatting/bird hunting/use with a suppressed hunting rifle.

Posts: 5738 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:

Can you wear muffs while shooting rifle or shotgun? I can't. They interfere with my cheek weld.

I can wear some brands and models with a rifle, but can't do it at all with a shotgun on moving targets, so I need amplified buds.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Received the Comply Professional ear tips just now (medium).

Night and day difference between these and the included foam tips!

The included tips were much more difficult to get seated well and, with the ears turned off, I could still barely hear sound. E.g.: With my wife talking directly in front of me I couldn't make out what she was saying, but I could, barely, hear that she was speaking. If I rapped my knuckles hard on a table or counter top I could just barely hear it.

The Comply Professional tips are much easier to insert and seat well. Once they're in and expanded I can't hear a thing. My wife speaking right in front of me? Her mouth moves and I might as well be watching TV with the sound muted. I rapped a table top with my knuckles so hard it was painful and didn't hear a thing.

Bottom line: At $17 for a set of three, the Comply Professional tips are expensive, but they were worth it to me.

Side note: Regardless of which ear tips I use, I cannot get these to seat properly with the buds pointed down, as everything shows. I get much easier insertion and seating, and a much better ear tip seal, with the buds pointed up.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Update on my OTTO NoizeBarrier in-ear earpro.

I haven't been out shooting long guns since I bought mine--nor since I bought the Comply foam earphone tips for them. Relatives visiting from Europe had one "must do" item on their list: Go shooting. So yesterday we did.

Brought along the S&W M&P 15-22, the AR I built, my Kimber Rimfire Target 1911, and my Staccato R 9mm 2011.

We were at the range for about three hours. I wore my NoizeBarrier earpro the entire time--both rifle and pistol. Worked beautifully. After they were in for a bit I completely forgot they were even there.

Even with shooting from inside covered positions with barriers...

... I never once felt the least bit uncomfortable around gunfire--even when the guy next to us lit-off a short-barreled 12 ga. slug gun.

Never once had any problems with conversation.

Btw: My relatives enjoyed the experience Smile

would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
Depends on the setting, but to make a long story short my go-to are custom ear molds that I had made by an audiologist. You make an appointment, go in and they create the molds sized according to your own ears, go back a week later and they hand you the custom fit ear plugs. Cost me 50 bucks, might be more now. They have a cord to hang around your neck. If indoors, or outdoors in a partial enclosure, I may put on some ear muffs over them.

I always have some of the foam plugs, too, which are incredibly effective given the cost and availability. I use a Howard Leight corded version. The foam expands, essentially creating a custom fit every time you install them, assuming you installed them correctly.

Posts: 2766 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Update on my OTTO NoizeBarrier in-ear earpro.

I haven't been out shooting long guns since I bought mine--nor since I bought the Comply foam earphone tips for them. Relatives visiting from Europe had one "must do" item on their list: Go shooting. So yesterday we did.

Brought along the S&W M&P 15-22, the AR I built, my Kimber Rimfire Target 1911, and my Staccato R 9mm 2011.

We were at the range for about three hours. I wore my NoizeBarrier earpro the entire time--both rifle and pistol. Worked beautifully. After they were in for a bit I completely forgot they were even there.

Even with shooting from inside covered positions with barriers...

... I never once felt the least bit uncomfortable around gunfire--even when the guy next to us lit-off a short-barreled 12 ga. slug gun.

Never once had any problems with conversation.

Btw: My relatives enjoyed the experience Smile

I may have the identical muffs worn by the youngster in the picture. They provide minimal protection and are OK for small caliber, outdoor shooting, also upland game hunting, but that would be it.

P.S. I recognize that range.

Posts: 2766 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
These non-electronic muffs were fine for my daughter, the .22 cal just isn't that loud.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Big Ear Inc

I discovered them at a motorcycle rally these are custom made to your ears, fit tight, block out wind noise, engine, your wife/GF/BG/Partner....

They do these with or without BT or wired connections, have a firearms division

https://www.bigearinc.com/best...ection-for-shooting/

There is a good white page there on choosing protection, what all the terms mean, etc

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sse:
I may have the identical muffs worn by the youngster in the picture. They provide minimal protection and are OK for small caliber, outdoor shooting, also upland game hunting, but that would be it.
She was double-plugged.

quote:
Originally posted by sse:
P.S. I recognize that range.
Smile

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Must have been factory defective. I use them twice a week and have for over a year. Both pair work perfectly.

The one that died: Yes. But, as I wrote: They didn't work well for me, anyway. One of them going south simply finalized my decision to return them and allowed me to do so w/o being charged for return shipping (IIRC*) or re-stocking fee.

That product is designed to seal in your ear's concha cavus (aka: "concha bowl"), rather than your ear canal. That's superior to in-canal fitting if they seal well. These did not, for me. I have a larger-than-average "bowl," so the largest of the "cushions" was still way too small to form an adequate seal.

There were a lot of complaints about that when I bought mine. Maybe they've since added an additional, larger set? (Though, when I called Walker at the time they acknowledged the problem but had no plans to do so.) Or maybe the OP has more normally-sized ears and they'll work for him.

All I can relate is what I experienced.

* If I Recall Correctly

Sorry, but I'd completely forgotten about this problem as I've been wearing the walkers for a long time.

Here's the answer:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

replace the factory ear buds with these and your problems will go away.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I've been using a set of "Big Ear" custom molded ear buds for, I'm guessing, 12+ years, They are great, but indoors or even outdoors where I think the noise will be extra loud (rifle range) I supplement with electronic, over the ear muffs. I'm pretty old and my hearing is still good, No need for hearing aids, cranking up the audio on TV or constantly saying "huh". I want to keep it that way.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
quote:
TTBOMK* the only in-ear electronic hearing protection that works is the expensive kind that is custom-molded to your concha cavum (or "concha bowl") by an audiologist.

* To The Best Of My Knowledge

I have custom Westone electronic plugs that were done through an audiologist for myself and my son. They were not cheap but work as advertised and protect the hearing I have left and hopefully keep my son from having similar hearing damage that I let happen over the years. I haven’t seen anything off the shelf that work as good, but some protection is better than none.

Posts: 2959 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find DeciBullz with the percussion filter to be very good for IDPA and USPSA defensive pistol matches which can last several hours in all kinds of weather. They give you the ability to hear discussions and safety officer range commands but protect your ears from percussion caused by gunfire.

Our IDPA matches typically include one course of fire in an indoor range. When shooting indoors, I find it is good to add a pair of ear muffs for additional attenuation and comfort. The DeciBullz are challenged to provide sufficient attenuation when shooting in such close proximity to hard, sound reflective wall and ceiling surfaces.

Posts: 282 | Location: Central PA | Registered: November 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:

Can you wear muffs while shooting rifle or shotgun? I can't. They interfere with my cheek weld.

I can wear some brands and models with a rifle, but can't do it at all with a shotgun on moving targets, so I need amplified buds.

I can wear some brands of muffs (have msa sordins) but others I can't at all with rifle/shotgun. It just depends on the shape of the muff and ear cup. I've found sordins and comtacs to work just fine while other peltors were a no go (wrong shape). Bought a set of Howard leights as a cheap backup or to let someone use at the range. I tried them on and hated them immediately. Haven't tried the ones from safariland yet.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post