SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Policewoman shot dead playing 'fastest to draw' in Paris
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Policewoman shot dead playing 'fastest to draw' in Paris Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Words fail. So stupid.

“A French policewoman has been shot dead by her own colleague after they played a game of Wild West-style 'fast draw' with their firearms.

The 27-year-old woman and her 28-year-old colleague were standing guard at the entrance of the Paris police force's headquarters in the capital on Sunday.

The pair reportedly decided to start playing with their weapons and drew their guns on one another, at which point one went off by accident…”

https://mol.im/a/6794727

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9009 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Almost as dumb as the guy who killed that gal playing Russian Roulette in St. Louis.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/r...uty-internal-report/

quote:
at which point one went off by accident

Hardly an accident.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10941 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
"Fast draw, also known as quick draw, is best known to the public as a staple of old school Western films, however it is also a recognised sport.

The current World Fast Draw Association (WFDA) record for popping a balloon target 8ft away is 0.208 seconds."

I know it's the Daily Mail, but what the hell is this even in the article for?

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15632 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
"Fast draw, also known as quick draw, is best known to the public as a staple of old school Western films, however it is also a recognised sport.

The current World Fast Draw Association (WFDA) record for popping a balloon target 8ft away is 0.208 seconds."

Yeah, we had a fast draw league here, but there was only one guy left at the end of the season, so it fell apart.

The biggest pain about the league were all the funerals. There were 3 or 4 every week.

Fun sport though.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10941 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
I know it's the Daily Mail, but what the hell is this even in the article for?

Even though it’s a British publication, perhaps it’s to demonstrate that despite incidents like this, “fast draw” is a legitimate sport and such incidents shouldn’t stigmatize people who practice drawing and shooting quickly for legitimate purposes. Although it’s been a long time since I’ve seen it mentioned, at one time “playing quickdraw” was a pejorative expression used to caution shooters against trying to develop the skill of drawing and shooting their handguns quickly. It was especially directed at law enforcement officers as one of the things such as “horseplay” or spinning a revolver on one’s finger like a TV cowboy that was a dangerous safety violation.
More than once long ago when we heard of an unintentional discharge with a handgun, someone would say, “I’ll bet he was playing quickdraw.”

Now, of course, that attitude is as outdated as cautions to keep one’s powder dry. Drawing and engaging the target as fast as possible is a vital skill, especially for LEOs. When I urge my students to practice their draws I tell them, “You can’t miss fast enough to win, but you can shoot slowly enough to lose.”

It seems to me that the Daily Mail is willing to present a more balanced view of guns and shooting than the American BS media, so that may have been their motive for including a somewhat unrelated tidbit of information.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47420 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
The stupid was strong that night. How many rules of safe firearm handling were violated?

Bad enough an officer was shot but imagine if the idiot officer had shot a civilian or tourist (or kid) walking along enjoying the sights?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38006 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
Had a guy who shot the clock in the office playing fast draw.

Hmm ....
So maybe we can still criticize people for “playing fast draw” after all. Thanks for the update.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47420 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Sometimes stupid just hangs over people like a cloud. Must have been REALLY overcast that day.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
She was no daisy, poor soul. Just too highly strung.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15911 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
The 27-year-old woman and her 28-year-old colleague were standing guard at the entrance of the Paris police force's headquarters in the capital on Sunday.

It was THOSE guys, who got THAT detail Wink

Posts: 14699 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
The first thing that came to my mind when I read the subject line:

"This ain't Dodge City. And you ain't Bill Hickok."

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 892 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30741 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Chief says he doesn't see anything wrong with it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20846 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
quote:
at which point one went off by accident…”

No, it went off as designed when the trigger was pulled.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
The quick and the dead. Well, we now know who is which. Stupidity.

Posts: 4820 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Zero sympathy for dumbass like this.

Q

Posts: 26512 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Je suis le seul dans cette salle assez professionnel, que je sache, à porter ce Glock 40

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15733 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
One of my coworkers related his story with attempting a quick draw after inheriting a single action army from his father. He practiced and practiced, and when he attempted it for real, he blew a hole in the ground about 2” in front of his big toe.
Said that was the first and last time for that.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Je suis le seul dans cette salle assez professionnel, que je sache, à porter ce Glock 40

Tiens ma bière et regards ça!

Posts: 18094 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Knew a guy who had a similar experience, with a 4" Python, with full power .357 mags. The bullet entered his right knee, down the long bones ,with an exit through his heel.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post