SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Car or New Bike? Decisions, decisions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Car or New Bike? Decisions, decisions Login/Join 
posted
So I've been looking to add a third bike to the stable which will either be a 2023 Hayabusa or Aprilia Tuono but my 2015 Camry which runs fine, looks good and has just under 146000 miles on the clock. I'm confident I can get another 50000+ miles out of the Camry but no car is going to last forever and while inventories are trending upwards I don't believe prices on new cars will start trending down so now might be the best time to buy instead of waiting another year.

Who knows what 2024 is going to bring with the conflict in Israel and Ukraine ongoing, interest rates are high, inflation is high, the border is wide open and we're allowing an invasion force to freely come across our borders plus it's an election year. Worse case scenario if I wait is I might not be able to buy a new anything if the crap hits the fan in the next 12 months or less.

Another bike is for the fun factor while a new car is more practical and a necessity but you only live once and as I get older there's going to come a day I can't ride a Hayabusa or Tuono because of the sporty riding position. In a perfect world I'd be able to afford both but I'm retired so it's either one or the other.

Need to hear some voices of reason to help me decide.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a gun forum, so you know:

1. Guns
2. Ammunition
3. Car (tactical, if possible)
4. Motorcycle
5. Something for your wife

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9163 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ I think #5 should be #1. Lol.

Q

Posts: 26436 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

I don't have a wife so just the first four apply to me :-)

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

A creative thinker can make ALL desired items “Something for my wife”

1. Guns - With which to defend our house and protect MY WIFE
2. Ammunition - To properly train with and keep loaded in the gun(s) I use to protect MY WIFE.
3. Car (tactical, if possible) - So I can drive MY WIFE around in a manner that comports with her position.
4. Motorcycle - So the aforementioned car is available to MY WIFE to use when she does not desire my company.
5. Something for your wife - I got a girlfriend to reduce the duties and chores MY WIFE finds distasteful or undesirable.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10946 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to think if I were in that situation of having 1 car with 150K, 2 motorcycles, and considering buying either a 3rd bike or new car? I think I'd sell the Camry while it still has value and buy a new car. Then if you want a Hayabusa or Tuono more than one of your current motorcycles, sell it to buy the Hayabusa or Tuono. You end up with a new car and still 2 motorcycles.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7109 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t buy anything right now unless you are going to write a check for the full amount.
The Fed is going to drop their rate in March. They said to 3%. So add a point and change for vehicle loans. There is an auto loan crisis you can read about. It’s well documented. But smart money is March through September is looking real good for a used/new vehicle purchase with financing. At least the % rates will get somewhat sane.

I’m at the point I want another bike to add to my stable as well. My primary 2 are still relatively low mileage for their age, and I always look at this like buying that third ice cream cone in economic terms. Law of diminishing returns. I have 3 total, but 1 is a 125cc scooter which is my pit bike for the track and for when I’m bored and want to just run around the neighborhood. For me it’s V4s Pan vs. RSVR4 factory. I’m going to wait until I move rural to buy either.

A reliable, dead nuts reliable, DD, is more important IMO. I’d knock that out first. But if it’s going to just be a daily driver you could spend a whole lot less than new Camry money to get a solid DD. A low mileage used Honda Fit Sport comes to mind. Then maybe you can get both, new DD and a new bike. But the Fit is just an example. MSRP’s on cars have gotten a bit insane so yeah getting one now before it gets worse is a good decision. Especially if you want 100% ICE. Everything is going to be a hybrid in coming years.

My DD is 10 years old next month. Mileage is relatively low. But after buying a new performance car this year, it’s not going to get replaced right now. It is my next vehicle to focus on though. So 24 months then I upgrade the DD. Once that is done, looking at the bikes again.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12648 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Drool, V4S & RSV4 both sound like a great choice.
Different animals, I'm sure, to your other race replica.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15359 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Inventory on Honda and Toyota are still low compared to the others. They will be less likely to deal. My DD is 21 year old Camry. Not sure a new one will be more reliable.

Posts: 1407 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
I think you might be on the cusp of getting a crazy deal on a motorcycle…as demand is at an all time low. I’d keep an eye there.

Posts: 1353 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
I wouldn’t buy anything right now unless you are going to write a check for the full amount.
The Fed is going to drop their rate in March. They said to 3%. So add a point and change for vehicle loans. There is an auto loan crisis you can read about. It’s well documented. But smart money is March through September is looking real good for a used/new vehicle purchase with financing. At least the % rates will get somewhat sane.

I’m at the point I want another bike to add to my stable as well. My primary 2 are still relatively low mileage for their age, and I always look at this like buying that third ice cream cone in economic terms. Law of diminishing returns. I have 3 total, but 1 is a 125cc scooter which is my pit bike for the track and for when I’m bored and want to just run around the neighborhood. For me it’s V4s Pan vs. RSVR4 factory. I’m going to wait until I move rural to buy either.

A reliable, dead nuts reliable, DD, is more important IMO. I’d knock that out first. But if it’s going to just be a daily driver you could spend a whole lot less than new Camry money to get a solid DD. A low mileage used Honda Fit Sport comes to mind. Then maybe you can get both, new DD and a new bike. But the Fit is just an example. MSRP’s on cars have gotten a bit insane so yeah getting one now before it gets worse is a good decision. Especially if you want 100% ICE. Everything is going to be a hybrid in coming years.

My DD is 10 years old next month. Mileage is relatively low. But after buying a new performance car this year, it’s not going to get replaced right now. It is my next vehicle to focus on though. So 24 months then I upgrade the DD. Once that is done, looking at the bikes again.

Really good info, the local Toyota dealership is being really aggressive with their pricing, they knocked off about 3 grand off MSRP. Came down from about 33000 to around 29000. Not sure how aggressive they'll be with pricing in March

To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not sure how aggressive they'll be with pricing in March

Yep with tax returns coming in around that time frame. Many people get tax return money for down payment on new vehicles. Not usually best time to buy a vehicle in my experience.

Not sure how old you are but I just can't ride a super sport these days. This retired guy wrists just say no more after about 30 minutes on a super sport. Otherwise there would be a new R1 in my collection.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
quote:
Not sure how aggressive they'll be with pricing in March

Yep with tax returns coming in around that time frame. Many people get tax return money for down payment on new vehicles. Not usually best time to buy a vehicle in my experience.

Not sure how old you are but I just can't ride a super sport these days. This retired guy wrists just say no more after about 30 minutes on a super sport. Otherwise there would be a new R1 in my collection.

The Tuono riding position isn't as aggressive as a ZX10R and you can add bar risers to provide a more relaxed riding position. The Hayabusa isn't bad either and you can also add bar risers for a more upright riding position so I think I can manage today but another couple of years maybe not.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:

Really good info, the local Toyota dealership is being really aggressive with their pricing, they knocked off about 3 grand off MSRP. Came down from about 33000 to around 29000. Not sure how aggressive they'll be with pricing in March

Toyota, especially, is still punch drunk on Covid sales. They’d have every inbound model already spoken for and sold when the 18 wheeler with the trailer was dropping them off from the port, at the dealer. That’s gone away, so now 3k off is the best I’m seeing on their lineup. 29k for a new car is a damn good deal today. Anything under 35k, is a great deal. I wouldn’t worry about the current rates either. You can grab it, then refinance 3rd quarter this year when rates are low. I bought my Toyota this past October. I did put a lot down to make my payments very low but as soon as I see the rates decrease a few times, I’ll refinance it. I think in your situation, you’ve already nailed it. People don’t understand how expensive cars have already gotten, and how much worse it’s going to be. I got all my shit knocked out in preparation for what is about to become. Steal it while you can. The next gen that comes out, what is called FMC, full model change, they jack the price and add a bunch of bullshit you don’t even want.

Agree on clip-ons. Clip-ons, new seat, and rearsets, I can take any bike there is, and make it comfortable. Haven’t used a stock riding position on anything in almost 25 years. Anyway, bikes are gonna be there. Not even a concern. I’m ready for Yamaha to release a new R1. Current one dates back to 2015. Honda needs to bring a V4 performance bike as well. I’m buying a little more time before I go Italian.

Posts: 12648 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
You don't mention where you are, if in the mild weather areas, SoCal, AZ, Florida, then chancing keeping an older car is not a bad thing, as a new bike can always be ridden 365.

Up North, where it gets nasty and bikes get garaged, well, you'll want a reliable car.

Interest rates and dealers making deals, well you just have to find something with a factory backed interest rate or rebates.

Jeeps/Dodge are not Toyotas, but they have big discounts and low rates right now. Even Toyota has 2.9% for 36 months right now on some vehicles, and some decent lease deals.

Posts: 23512 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So common sense prevailed along with a great price on a new 2024 Camry SE caused me to make the decision to go with a new car instead of a third motorcycle. Dealership came down about two grand off MSRP, would have been 3 grand if I took a LE that was on the lot, but I wanted the sportier suspension and slightly aggressive looks of the SE but the SE won't be delivered until the end of the month. I already have two bikes and while a third would have been nice it made more sense to trade-in my 2015 Camry with 145000 miles for something new.

Plus there's so much crazy crap going on in the world you never know what's going to happen so now seemed a good time to buy. Plus there was a billed passed that requires all cars sold after 2026 include a kill switch that some unknown entity can throw that shuts your car down.

Now the challenge becomes how to afford both :_)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
You don't mention where you are, if in the mild weather areas, SoCal, AZ, Florida, then chancing keeping an older car is not a bad thing, as a new bike can always be ridden 365.

Up North, where it gets nasty and bikes get garaged, well, you'll want a reliable car.

Interest rates and dealers making deals, well you just have to find something with a factory backed interest rate or rebates.

Jeeps/Dodge are not Toyotas, but they have big discounts and low rates right now. Even Toyota has 2.9% for 36 months right now on some vehicles, and some decent lease deals.

I'm in PA and our riding season goes from about April through late October and maybe into November so about 6 months to enjoy wind therapy. I'm strictly a Toyota buyer because I've always had success with longevity and reliability so I didn't consider any other brand despite lower interest rates and deals off MSRP.

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
So common sense prevailed along with a great price on a new 2024 Camry SE caused me to make the decision to go with a new car instead of a third motorcycle.....

I think you made a wise decision because now you'll have a car that should last you 8 years, even longer if you take good care of it. What bikes do you currently have?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7109 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
quote:
So common sense prevailed along with a great price on a new 2024 Camry SE caused me to make the decision to go with a new car instead of a third motorcycle.....

I think you made a wise decision because now you'll have a car that should last you 8 years, even longer if you take good care of it. What bikes do you currently have?

I always take good care of my vehicles, I always make sure I get maintenance completed on time, I keep my car clean and I don't abuse my vehicles so hopefully this is the last car I buy for the next 8 to 10 years.

I currently own a 2020 BMW R1250GSA and 2022 S1000XR.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
So common sense prevailed along with a great price on a new 2024 Camry SE caused me to make the decision to go with a new car instead of a third motorcycle. Dealership came down about two grand off MSRP, would have been 3 grand if I took a LE that was on the lot, but I wanted the sportier suspension and slightly aggressive looks of the SE but the SE won't be delivered until the end of the month. I already have two bikes and while a third would have been nice it made more sense to trade-in my 2015 Camry with 145000 miles for something new.

Plus there's so much crazy crap going on in the world you never know what's going to happen so now seemed a good time to buy. Plus there was a billed passed that requires all cars sold after 2026 include a kill switch that some unknown entity can throw that shuts your car down.

Solid call.