SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can we talk about cholesterol, cardiovascular health, and longevity .
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can we talk about cholesterol, cardiovascular health, and longevity . Login/Join 
posted
After watching this video I think statins only benefit people who have diabetes and metabolic syndrome. Many of these issues could probably be resolved with lifestyle changes if caught early enough. In fact statins may lead to all cause mortality rising in many people. This applies to more than just people on a low carb diet.

And please do not comment unless you watch the entire video which is easy to do since it is so informative.

Posts: 12695 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Wait, the presenter is a psychologist?

wcb6092, what are your qualifications to hold opinions on this subject?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

If you had watched the video you would know why he researched the subject.

posted Hide Post
He's a psychologist, NOT AN MD. While I appreciate your thought I do believe that listening to my Cardiologist is actually the best course of action for me. Because he is an MD in addition to being a board certified Cardiologist. My lipid panel is near ideal, the problem is that doesn't stop the accumulation of plaques in my circulatory system. I have a form of HDL that just isn't very good at housekeeping so I need a Statin as an assist.

BTW I have Heart Disease and it's a familial trait. My older brother who never smoked and was a livelong jogger died of a heart attack at age 59. Sadly he thought his good habits would keep him healthy and chose to not mention some cardiac symptoms to his Doctor. So when his LAD got to be 80% blocked he went into VTAC and While he was in a hospital the code team was not able to save him. BTW, he was in the hospital for a minor correction to an umbilical hernia repair. Note that is another familial trait.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5650 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
He's a psychologist, NOT AN MD. While I appreciate your thought I do believe that listening to my Cardiologist is actually the best course of action for me. Because he is an MD in addition to being a board certified Cardiologist. My lipid panel is near ideal, the problem is that doesn't stop the accumulation of plaques in my circulatory system. I have a form of HDL that just isn't very good at housekeeping so I need a Statin as an assist.

BTW I have Heart Disease and it's a familial trait. My older brother who never smoked and was a livelong jogger died of a heart attack at age 59. Sadly he thought his good habits would keep him healthy and chose to not mention some cardiac symptoms to his Doctor. So when his LAD got to be 80% blocked he went into VTAC and While he was in a hospital the code team was not able to save him. BTW, he was in the hospital for a minor correction to an umbilical hernia repair. Note that is another familial trait.

Did you watch the video? He talked about clotting issues being a big danger for heart attacks. This is sometimes caused by genetic traits. Also calcium build up in the arteries is a big red flag. How many people actually get that test done?

Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
That video is 50 minutes long... fuck that.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
And please do not comment unless you watch the entire video which is easy to do since it is so informative.

quote:

Why are simple directions so hard to follow.

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I watched the whole video. Thank you for posting it. This is somewhat timely, as my last blood test showed high LDL, and my cardiologist is thinking of putting me on statins.

I was already aware of these new studies un-demonizing LDL and dietary cholesterol in general. It does make sense that drug companies misused statistics, for example claiming that Lipitor reduces heart disease by 36% when it is barely above 1% for the general population. Gotta sell them drugs!

I'm going to ask my cardio about this next time I see her.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16362 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Newsflash!!!---- WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!

Some sooner than others.

Posts: 20111 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
quote:

I am not watching an hour-long video about this subject put together by a psychologist without a compelling reason to do it. And, with all possible belief in your good faith, I don't know what your credentials on this are, either.

Why do you think we are going to watch this on your say-so?

I do note that Diamond asks for a donation. Hmmm.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
At least one forum member here is a highly experienced cardiologist, and he has repeatedly and loudly sung the praises of statins in numerous threads over the years.

I'll take his expert opinion (or the expert opinion of my own cardiologist if I had one) over a non-medical-doctor/non-cardiologist psychologist.

Posts: 32521 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

Some sooner than others.

Are you just trying to be an asshole?

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I am not watching an hour-long video about this subject put together by a psychologist without a compelling reason to do it. And, with all possible belief in your good faith, I don't know what your credentials on this are, either.

Are you just trying to be an asshole? I specifically asked that people who did not view the information not to comment.

posted Hide Post
Hmmm. So if you're not an MD, you can't research health info, read journal articles on pubmed, etc., and have an opinion? Sure, vetting credentials makes sense, but we have seen the editor of journals like the New England Journal of Medicine say most published results are fake or just wrong.

Seems like a variation of you can't say that's a woman or man because you're not a biologist?

Posts: 2368 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

Some sooner than others.

Are you just trying to be an asshole?

Hey, everybody has to be good at something, right? Wink

I recently unblocked you. Now I wonder why. Adios.

Posts: 20111 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
That video is 50 minutes long... fuck that.

Mega Dittos

Posts: 5327 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Perhaps there is something to take from this video, but as jhe888 said, that's a lot of time to devote to someone posting a video on the internet which IME usually ends with them asking for your credit card. (I didn't watch it, so I'm going on past experience) I checked out when I saw the little image of the guy superimposed on the screen talking away. Like those where the guy draws cartoons and talks over them.

I could drop dead tomorrow from heart related issues, who knows. Still, I take my advice from my cardiologist. Some how I feel more confident about that.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
… And please do not comment unless you watch the entire video which is easy to do since it is so informative.
I’m 20 minutes in but I’m going to comment anyway. Big Grin

• I don’t think one must have a qualification to do research.
  • I wish someone would listen and refute rather than dismiss.
  • Do I think people are overmedicated? Yes.
  • Do I think doctors are purposely doing wrong? No.
  • Do I think doctors are too busy? Absolutely.
  • Do I think statistics are manipulated to sell pharmaceuticals? Uh huh.
  • Do I think most of our health issues are diet related? Yes.
  • Do I think the government recommendations (food pyramid) is wrong? I do.
  • Do I think the food pyramid was created by lobbyists rather than doctors? Yep.
  • Do I think people should watch this video? Yeah.
  • Do I think we are often lied to concerning health? Follow the money.

Thanks for the video. I am finding it informative.

Posts: 45377 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Are you just trying to be an asshole? I specifically asked that people who did not view the information not to comment.

No, you are being the asshole by insisting that we watch a hour long video by a person of no obvious expertise, based on your say-so, when you also have no obvious expertise. Then to try to impose an arbitrary and unrealistic condition on further comment. And then you insult those who won't comply with your unilateral rule-making.

Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
I specifically asked that people who did not view the information not to comment.

You have been on this forum for going 16 years and YOU ask a stupid question like that?

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4136 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post