SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How come none of these super dooper ICE FOR DAYS cooler folks make these??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How come none of these super dooper ICE FOR DAYS cooler folks make these?? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Igloo 5 Gallon Seat Top Beverage Jug with spigot https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000..._api_i_39WyBb9363F34

I would love one of these that would keep watered down powdered Gatorade cold for 5 days.
I’d buy one in a heartbeat and mount it next to the garage. These dang neighborhood kids are in and out of the kitchen like a bazillion times a day.

In my experience one is lucky to get a few hours out of the igloos and that is staying with ICE to the brim.

One fill up of Ice for the week or even two would sure beat the daily fill up. Especially since some days my ice maker does not seem up to the task.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25703 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Just install a water fountain in the garage like my dad did for us kids back in the day.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2282 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
They’re like ants. They go in your kitchen because there’s sugar water there for them. Everybody else probably has plain water.

Posts: 27180 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Back in my day we just drank water from the garden hose. Big Grin

Posts: 13314 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Cut a few gallon jugs in half just below the bottom of the handle to make large ice trays. Fill with water and freeze to make your own half gallon blocks of ice. This will last a lot longer than small ice cubes.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Cut a few gallon jugs in half just below the bottom of the handle to make large ice trays. Fill with water and freeze to make your own half gallon blocks of ice. This will last a lot longer than small ice cubes.

Similarly, we take a case of water bottles and just freeze them. They stay frozen much longer. Also, the big water bottles like liter bottles of Aquafina from the gas station, those freeze great.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5182 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would love one of these that would keep watered down powdered Gatorade cold for 5 days.
Ewww!!!

The first two ingredients in powdered Gatorade are sugar and dextrose, and the first ingredient in powdered G2 (low calorie version) is sugar.

Sugar + heat + time = breeding ground for some strains of bacteria, some strains of molds, and some strains of fungii.

That is likely the reason nobody has made a 5 to 7 day dispenser cooler. Needing to be refilled at least gets people to dump out the contents and hopefully they'll wash it too.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23690 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Ewww!!!

The first two ingredients in powdered Gatorade are sugar and dextrose, and the first ingredient in powdered G2 (low calorie version) is sugar.

Sugar + heat + time = breeding ground for some strains of bacteria, some strains of molds, and some strains of fungii.

That is likely the reason nobody has made a 5 to 7 day dispenser cooler. Needing to be refilled at least gets people to dump out the contents and hopefully they'll wash it too.

Hence the reason I want one that actually keeps the contents cold Razz

The chest type do it when not opened.

Not sure why one using the same stuff with a spout at the bottom that was not opened at the lid would not keep it cold.

————————————————

Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
They make a smaller 2 gallon version, I used to use one of those on deployments. Used Ice, Powdered Gatorade and water. It seemed to at least keep things cold for the day and might be a better solution than trying to keep it going for a week at a time.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6528 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Water fountain is a great idea! For the gatorade powder, you could get one of those powdered soap dispensers.

quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
Just install a water fountain in the garage like my dad did for us kids back in the day.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4364 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Here you go, super dooper ice for days (Yeti) water cooler:

https://www.yeti.com/silo-6g/YS6G.html

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Those igloos did pretty well for our construction crew, especially if kept out of the sun, but not with ice cubes. We use big chunks of ice, biggest we could fit in it. Running by the local ice plant they would fill it up for cheap on the way to the job site.
Freezing your own ice in Tupperware or milk jugs etc might work.

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not sure how I missed that.
Though currently unavailable.

————————————————

Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

Not sure how I missed that.
Though currently unavailable.

It's a brand new product release, due out soon.

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Buy a large freezer.
Install piping from 5-gallon Igloo going through door to an outside tap.
Install in garage.
Fill cooler in freezer.
Provide one cup.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32053 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
Here is another option.

Already mentioned but yeah block ice will last much longer.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1916 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
The YETI® Silo™ 6G is what a water cooler should be: a hardworking hydration station that keeps water cold for hours,

For hours? Hell, I've got a cheapo Coleman that I bought in 1982 for about $12 that'll do that. Roll Eyes

Not a chance in hell I'd drop $300 for the Yeti. You could buy a mini fridge for less than that and fill it up with water bottles.

"But it's a Yeti!"

Get a Yeti sticker and put it on the front of the fridge.

Posts: 20608 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

quote:
The YETI® Silo™ 6G is what a water cooler should be: a hardworking hydration station that keeps water cold for hours,

For hours? Hell, I've got a cheapo Coleman that I bought in 1982 for about $12 that'll do that. Roll Eyes

Not a chance in hell I'd drop $300 for the Yeti. You could buy a mini fridge for less than that and fill it up with water bottles.

"But it's a Yeti!"

Get a Yeti sticker and put it on the front of the fridge.

Mini fridges ar electric hogs.
I already have 2 deep freezes and a dehumidifier that are hogs.

That frostbite does not look too bad.
May have to give it a shot.

————————————————

SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hold out for next summer when the Wal-Mart version comes out for the same thing only cheaper.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post