SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Apple Mac Pro
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Apple Mac Pro Login/Join 
posted
I am a huge Apple product fan. I have at least one of just about everything they sell. I am not sure if I can justify the latest Mac Pro!!

The new Mac Pro fully configured costs $50,000 but wait, there is still the option to add casters for an additional $400.

That seemed like a lot for wheels until I realized that if I bought the Apple Pro Display XDR for $5,000 if would cost me an additional $1,000 for the stand.

Hmmm, maybe next Christmas.

Edit: I just read that there is an optional nano screen coating for the monitor for $1,000.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: straightshooter01,

Posts: 2007 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
50k? Does it cook, clean, and sing for you? Eek

Q

Posts: 27513 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
I am not a Apple/Mac person, but the prices (while high) are not completely outrageous. The very expensive $50K type options include things like the very high core count Intel processors which are definitely not cheap (Like $7k-9K for a processor all by itself). I think the base systems are more poorly priced than the upper end systems (in a what you get inside for your money manner). Being Apple, the outside looks/construction is going to always cost more, but it's more out of whack on the lower end base-price side. I do think they kind of painted themselves into a corner by taking so long to come out with it and only having Intel Skylake derivative Xeons, and not having cheaper and better AMD Threadripper multi-core systems as the per-core IPC performance and feature king (i.e PCIe Gen 4, which none of the Intel processor's support) is currently AMD for high end, high number multi-core processors.

As for the monitor, while it too seems too expensive, that level of super professional monitors used in the high end video/graphics industry are normally even more expensive, so $5K for the professional level monitor itself is not out of line. No most people don't need or want to pay for the features that monitor supports. Yes the stand is a rip off, but most professionals use VESA setups and will not buy the stand anyway. Yeah, there's a $200 Apple tax on just the VESA mount, but that beats the $1000 Apple tax on the fancy monitor stand professionals wont use.

Is it worth it? I don't think so, because I'm not a Apple guy. But for the "small business" (Not giant corporate) professional people who I do know who do use Macs and would consider the <$10K more-basic models, they tend to keep and be productive with the same-model Mac for many years so the higher upfront cost is worth it to them over a Windows system. For example, my professional Graphics designer friend who paid like $9K dollars for a used dual Xeon 6-core Mac Pro with 64GB RAM from 2011-2012-ish and a 30" Apple Cinema Monitor, still uses the same system to this day, so she got her money out of the system. I know, because I helped her spec that system all those years ago, and she has been using it ever since without any problems whatsoever beyond a cheap video card upgrade when the newer OSX versions quit supporting her original video card and Apple HD replacements with cheap SSD's. As her main software is still Adobe Suite (she doesn't do much if any video editing) she hasn't yet needed to up her CPU horsepower. The big thing is that nothing has physically failed, still works with newer add-on cards like the upgraded video card (non-Apple AMD RX580) so I give Apple credit for the long lasting hardware.

Posts: 4366 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. I just looked up that machine. The specs are incredible.

To be honest, I didn't know something like this existed outside educational or .gov super computers.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what would a person do with a machine like that?

Posts: 17253 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

I would have to add a few tasks to the list, but I will not put them in print!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4889 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Probably video editing.

Posts: 4000 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you’re a veteran you can get this maxed out bad boy for a low low price of only $45k. Now THAT’S affordable for sure.

Jesus....I’m an Apple fan but damn these prices are a joke.

Posts: 721 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well it does have a built in cheese grater. Big Grin
Non Mac followers may not get the reference...

SNIP:
Both the ‌Mac Pro‌ and the Pro Display XDR are available for purchase starting today, with pricing on the ‌Mac Pro‌ starting at $5,999 and pricing on the Pro Display XDR starting at $4,999.

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4173 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
By the time I was done paying for it, it'll be discounted in the Apple store as used/refurbished for $499 with free shipping.

Posts: 2045 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
When you are editing a $100 million movie, $50k is a drop in the bucket. This is a video and game rendering system. A lot of that work is done locally on desktops instead of remotely for a combination of business and technical reasons.

It's a little funny to think that people believe this to be a lot of computing power though. Yes, it's a lot for a desktop but a moderately sized cloud compute cluster will be many times that spec. Look at something like an X1 Amazon EC2 instance with 128 cores and 4 TB of RAM that you can spin up and use with your credit card and about 5 minutes. Of course you're billed by the minute and something like that costs around a dollar a minute to operate, or somewhere around $20-$40k a month last time I checked.

And no, that type of computing power isn't reserved for government. More like one rack of 2U boxes at your neighborhood data center.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
But can I dual boot Windows 98SE on it?

Posts: 3678 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I decked it out and decked out the monitor (in the cart, not that I bought it). I was at $60,000!!!!

Posts: 11432 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
The base Mac Pro can be had for a cool $6000.

Lots of options to pump up the computing power of that machine.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16450 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Reminder - Apple now offers 10% off to all Veterans...

www.Help911BossBuyHisNewMac@gofundme.com

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11220 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hack the matrix or be the assistant to “The Accountant”

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12931 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Reminder - Apple now offers 10% off to all Veterans...

And 6% cash back if you buy your new Mac Pro from Apple, using your Apple Pay card (this month only). If I won the lottery, I would have one of these (maxed out) just for the hell of it. In the meantime, I will stick to my 2018 Macmini, with a 32" 4k monitor. Smile

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10876 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sing for you, yes actually it does, but so does a $100 iPod!!!

Posts: 2007 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Keep my To Do List!!

posted Hide Post
Well I just read that there is an optional $1,000 "nano" screen coating for the monitor which would take it to $7000 with the stand. But you have to only use the special Apple cleaning rag to clean it and they have not announced the price of the cleaning rag replacement.