SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rodents in the crawlspace, tips?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rodents in the crawlspace, tips? Login/Join 
posted
Could use some assistance from the brain trust.

I'm getting my house ready to sell and went into the crawlspace to fix some floor squeaks and noticed rodent feces all over.

I built a deck a few years ago and noticed about a 4" x 4" square hole in the plywood just inside of the base of the hardie siding. It looked like the builder cut it for the backyard hose faucet but then ended up putting it on the other side of the patio. Could they be getting in there? The insulation all around that spot had feces on top of it. I pulled all that down but didn't see any rats, but I was smelling urine.

I went ahead and screwed a piece of treated wood over that hole and set out some traps.

Does anybody have any tips on what to do next, should I just vacuum up all the feces and keep setting traps until I don't catch anything?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One bit of advice I can give you is; do not, repeat do not, plug up a suspected entrance hole until you have the rodents out of the building.

You do not want dead rodents in the attic or the walls.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldRoger:
One bit of advice I can give you is; do not, repeat do not, plug up a suspected entrance hole until you have the rodents out of the building.

You do not want dead rodents in the attic or the walls.

Or worse, they'll eat the living daylights out of stuff trying to get out. Yes set up traps or use the electronic ones, they work great and are easy peasy but would get expensive.....I'd go with A LOT of traps.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
traps inside and bait stations outside around the perimeter of the house should get rid of them. once they are gone shop vac, replacing the damaged insulation, sealing up the entry points and bleach/water mixture spayed around the area should do it.

Posts: 3534 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Get an aggressive kitty or two.

Posts: 2427 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Google "hantavirus" before you start up with the shop vac, particularly if you live in the desert southwest.

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
He is living dangerously just crawling around in that area. You need to spray the feces with a Clorox solution.

Posts: 11892 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
You need to borrow one of these.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21221 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
You need a king snake for your crawlspace. It'll fix your rodent problem, but may not help you sell a house.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23656 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Steel wool in areas you expect rodents to go or be. They hate steel wool.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Google "hantavirus" before you start up with the shop vac, particularly if you live in the desert southwest.

definitely a nasty threat. the only good news is it does not live long outside the host so by the time the mice are gone and the problem is dealt with for good, the threat is as well. ps. i don't work with the cdc so do your own research before cleanup.

Posts: 3534 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
You need a one way excluder.

My daughter used these in her job. She'd then set traps to catch the rest. Poison will kill them but then there's the stink from the bodies.

https://www.amazon.com/Tomahaw...y-Door/dp/B00B9JVD7K

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6065 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
get a chemical bait that makes them very very thirsty - they will then try to get out of the house to find water before they die

yeah, careful of the droppings

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53786 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
There is a product called fresh cab thay will repell them. Has a cedar-pine smell. Put that in wait a week seak the hole. Clean up and reapply. Info here.

Posts: 3580 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post