SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Asheville, NC is slowing falling apart...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Asheville, NC is slowing falling apart... Login/Join 
Picture of Quattro15
posted
Not that I'm surprised though. It's way too Left here to survive on it's own.

When the riots began and the Asheville Police Department quickly realized that the town government wasn't in their corner the police force quickly reduced itself from around 100 LEOs to 40 or so.

We've had a "come get free drugs" program for a while now. That with the vast amount of dumpsters in the area chock full of food from all the restaurants means that food is abundant for homeless.

Stack on top of that Covid...so people that were almost broken have an excuse to give up on trying to make something of themselves.

So now you have a town full of drugged up homeless people that have realized there is a 2 hour response time to a 911 call.

The last time I was in town, which I haven't been since Covid began, was a couple weeks ago. I had to get paint supplies from a shop right in the middle of town. The shop itself was a very good experience. When we left it was a different story.

I pulled up to the intersection of Coxe and Patton Ave. and a man who was not white looked my wife straight in the eye from the street corner and said "ALL WHITE PEOPLE ARE EVIL AND BELONG IN HELL!" as he pointed at her and others around him. Our doors are always locked while in a city so there was no worry of him getting to us. I was poised but nothing happened further than that.

We turned the corner and drove to the town center, where I saw a very drunk man's penis, as he relieved himself into a large flower pot that was bare from the winter cold. I couldn't believe what I was witnessing.

My wife looked out to the other sidewalk, six or so young ladies in their Ugg boots and leggings having ice cream as they walked past this man on the other side of the street. Laughing and totally oblivious as to what was going on mere feet away from them.

I approached Vance Memorial, which is slated for removal by the town. Asheville taxpayers will pay to remove it I'm assuming. It's covered by scaffolding and tarps to cover it's racist hideousness. Therein lies the paradigm.

The Left, so quick to react to something that is deemed offensive by cancel culture, jumped all over that monument, which was just sitting there, not hurting anyone but some fragile humans that need to understand history cannot be rewritten for their narrative. All the while there are actual atrocities occurring at the very foot of that monument, of which are dangerous, hostile, and foreboding to something coming that is much worse than deleting men from the history books because they owned slaves at a time that it was considered normal.

Now I don't live in Asheville, I'm around 15 miles out. But I can assure you that I won't be getting off the Highway as I drive by any more. Not until it starts looking a little safer to visit at least.

I know this is happening all over the country and not just in my area. It's just sad to see the anarchy destroy what was such a beautiful little town.

---------------------------
“Reason, or the ratio of all we have already known, is not the same that it shall be when we know more.”
— William Blake

Posts: 2206 | Location: Black Mountain, NC | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it's a shame. years ago i lived in the Fairview area. absolutely beautiful.

sad the city has become the armpit of Western NC.

but that's inevitably what happens when the libs have control.

-----------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Yup, my parents live in Franklin, and no one they know goes to Asheville anymore unless it’s to the VA due to the homeless.

It started years ago with the occasional hippie wandering around and has been circling the drain for years.

My BIL,SIL, niece and nephew live in Hendersonville and they also avoid the place-and they are liberals...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11476 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Assville is a study in 21st liberalism. My neighbors kid, what used to be a sweet, polite little red head, has gone totally woke & into deep social justice & BLM causes. Momma, don’t let babies go to school in Assville...

Posts: 13861 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man of few words
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have been to Asheville quite a few times. When we started going there was a slight hippie vibe, but nothing over the top. We enjoyed the breweries and restaurants, and never felt unsafe. Over the past few years I've noticed a harder turn to the left and the homeless population that hangs out in Pritchard Park and the surrounding area has grown substantially. What was once a yearly trip for us has turned into somewhere that we'll probably never go back to.

Posts: 1021 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quattro15:
All the while there are actual atrocities occurring at the very foot of that monument

You voiced the disgust and frustration very well. Thank You.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13499 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Left is all destroy and no create

Posts: 1481 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I know I am a broken record. Most liberals will not connect the flash with the bang. They will either not know or not admit that their policies, in the name of improving humanity, are creating such conditions.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
I know I am a broken record. Most liberals will not connect the flash with the bang. They will either not know or not admit that their policies, in the name of improving humanity, are creating such conditions.

Oh, now you're just being a xenophobic misogynist. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14160 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I haven't been to Asheville in years. I don't remember a homeless problem, but it was known as a liberal progressive bastion even then. Any liberal progressive bastion is doomed to failure. They all fail sooner or later.

quote:

so people that were almost broken have an excuse to give up on trying to make something of themselves.

I googled homelessness in Ashville and came up with an article with profiles on some homeless folks. I thought some of them were very telling.

"Paul," who allegedly has turned himself around and is now "pursuing his goals in music and juggling." Music and juggling? Yeah, because there are fortunes to be made in juggling.

"Raven" whose face is covered in tattoos and believes she is "the incarnation of a pagan goddess" and sits by an altar to herself. Hard to believe she's not a CEO of a major corporation.

I understand there is a lot of mental illness among the homeless. But many, many of them are just ridiculous. And much of it is an excuse not to try and make something of themselves.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I almost moved there - so glad I didn't

Posts: 53850 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know this is happening all over the country and not just in my area. It's just sad to see the anarchy destroy what was such a beautiful little town.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
No it is not happening all over the country. Not where I live. If it is that bad consider relocating.

Posts: 17530 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
This makes sense. Ashville kept coming up as one of the best places to retire.

So liberals went and retired there and brought their liberalism with them.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20079 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is this anywhere near Carey?
I have heard that municipality referred to as
Containment area for relocated Yankees

Posts: 3386 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cummings Custom Refinishing
posted Hide Post
I just hope they keep it on that side of the mountain. We are directly on the other side of Asheville in Tennessee

Cummings Custom Refinishing offers Quality Craftsmanship at affordable prices. Fully Lic FFL's for over 30 years
OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED
423-639-8924
www.ccrrefinishing.com

Posts: 5211 | Location: Eastern Tn | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
That is sad, I went there with the wife and kids 10+ years ago. Aside from the lesbian/gay crap all over and some hippies the people were nice. Guess I won't be going back again.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Same thing in Seattle. My father took his brother downtown for a medical procedure. Well the hospital wouldn’t allow my father to wait inside the hospital because of covid. When my dad went to step outside a black woman was walking down the street screaming that she wanted to kill white people. Every blue city is Turing into a little Zimbabwe.

Posts: 10045 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
Is this anywhere near Carey?
I have heard that municipality referred to as
Containment area for relocated Yankees

No, they're not anywhere near each other. Asheville is in Western NC and Cary is 250 miles away in Eastern NC.

Cary is close to the Research Triangle, which is comprised of Raleigh (NC State Univ), Durham (Duke), and Chapel Hill (UNC). Naturally it's a hive of crazy liberalism.

Posts: 2694 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff: . . . When my dad went to step outside a black woman was walking down the street screaming that she wanted to kill white people. Every blue city is Turing into a little Zimbabwe.

And political correctness will say she has the right of free speech for such. But if you raise your eyebrows when hearing such, you are guilty of hate speech.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The wife and I spent our first wedding anniversary in Asheville, in the late 1990s. It was back then what we want it to be today- a quiet, beautiful little town with a storied past. No camps for the homeless, no needles and feces in the streets. No one hassling you for a handout.

There's no fixing this stuff, because those who allowed it to happen in the first place won't listen to reason or even believe their own eyes.

Posts: 109165 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post