SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Restoring some old cast iron skillets **final seasoning and first usage update**
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Restoring some old cast iron skillets **final seasoning and first usage update** Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I bought a stripping wheel from Home Depot and smoothed out all the Wagner's skillets. I also hit them again with a palm sander and a wire wheel.

Here's a before and after comparison...

Getting all of them ready for their first seasoning....

First seasoning all done...

I'm probably going to give them three more seasonings today. They're in the oven right now for their second seasoning.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5416 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I ended up finishing three seasonings on all the skillets. They came out with a burnt bronze look but the surface is very slick. I'm sure the black look come with more usage. I was inspired to use a couple of them right away.

Fried an egg on the small 80+ year old Lodge. I didn't have a small spatula and was clumsy on the flip, so the yolk broke but the egg was still great! With a little butter, the surface was as slick as Teflon Don!

Cooked up some pepper bacon on the larger Wagner's. I hear the bacon fat is really good for new skillets. I'm pretty sure this is the first time the Wagner's have ever been used.

I cleaned out the burnt stuff and drained most of the fat, then made some breakfast potatoes. Yum!

The breakfast potatoes are always a big hit in my house.

Tony.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Nice job on the breakfast. What was this thread about? Big Grin

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19226 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Nice work, Benny! Lookin' good. Smile

Posts: 17195 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I have 2 small Wagner pans. Both measure about 6.5" across the rim. Funny that one weighs 1lb 7oz. The other weighs 2 lbs even. Both are marked WagnerWare Sidney -0-
There is a definite 1053 E on the heavy pan. And there may be a single mark on the other but it is unreadable.

I scraped the crap out of the unreadable. Now it looks like a lone 3

I never use these pans as they are too small for bacon

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6320 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:

I never use these pans as they are too small for bacon

That's a life lesson right there, boys and girls.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Cut the bacon smaller Wink

posted Hide Post
I posted a link to my friend Randy in seattle in the other thread. He does cast iron restoration and refurbishment. He uses electrolisis to strip all the gunk and leach out all the crap in the iron before seasoning. I have a few pieces from him. Fantastic top notch work.

Take a look, ask him a few questions. He loves sharing how to' do it.
https://mewe.com/join/cast_iron_restorations

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Well, after having my flax oil recommendation thoroughly beaten by multiple members and the previous video, I figured I would bow to the wisdom here and season my new skillet with Crisco. Used a random orbit palm sander to smooth the bumps off the new Lodge skillet. Got it nice and smooth except for the deeper pits. Cleaned and put 3 coats of seasoning with Crisco exactly as the guy in the video recommended. Looked good, but not as dark as I would have expected after 3 coats. This morning, took the pan for a spin with some bacon, it did ok, but stuck more than I expected to the pan, that ok as continued cooking will improve. However, when I go to wash the pan (no soap, hot water only), virtually all the seasoning stripped right back off. Very disappointed. Back to flax seed oil for me - I have not experienced any flaking and the process has worked exceptionally well for my other pans.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I used Flax per the recommendation of Finex when I bought mine and experienced flaking after a while. My other skillets always got the prestigious Crisco treatment and never an issue. Not long ago my Finex was giving me fits with flaking and I stripped it all off, started from scratch, the way God intended...Crisco.

I use the shit out of my skillets, and I use them hard, so stripping and starting over isn't a big deal for me, my only complaint is my new range is one of those fakakta energy efficient units without a proper clean cycle so stripping the pans is harder.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9697 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barndg00:
Well, after having my flax oil recommendation thoroughly beaten by multiple members and the previous video, I figured I would bow to the wisdom here and season my new skillet with Crisco. Used a random orbit palm sander to smooth the bumps off the new Lodge skillet. Got it nice and smooth except for the deeper pits. Cleaned and put 3 coats of seasoning with Crisco exactly as the guy in the video recommended. Looked good, but not as dark as I would have expected after 3 coats. This morning, took the pan for a spin with some bacon, it did ok, but stuck more than I expected to the pan, that ok as continued cooking will improve. However, when I go to wash the pan (no soap, hot water only), virtually all the seasoning stripped right back off. Very disappointed. Back to flax seed oil for me - I have not experienced any flaking and the process has worked exceptionally well for my other pans.

Three coats isn't going to be black and non-stick.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Maybe it is the specific flax oil I have, but I've about given up on it because every time I season with it, it fills the house with the smell of nasty burned fish skin.

Flax oil is advertised as very high in omega fatty acids, maybe they are what gives fish skin the smell, too.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
my only complaint is my new range is one of those fakakta energy efficient units without a proper clean cycle so stripping the pans is harder.

Soak them in lye water for a couple days. They'll come out clean as a whistle. Then soak in vinegar for an hour or so, scrub out with an SOS pad, and you're good to go.

quote:
Originally posted by barndg00:
However, when I go to wash the pan (no soap, hot water only), virtually all the seasoning stripped right back off.

You did something wrong.

Over decades of using cast iron I have never had a Crisco seasoning strip off.

1. Preheat oven to 400F
2. Slather on the Crisco until everything is covered.
3. Wipe it all off with a paper towel until it looks dry.
4. Place in the preheated oven and bake at 400F for one hour. Pull it out and wipe it down after the first 15-20 minutes then put it back in to finish up the hour.
5. Turn off oven and let the pan cool down in the oven.
6. Repeat 3-4 times at least.

Posts: 20125 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
3 seasonings with Crisco isn't holding up. It seems to be damaged by just cooking hot dogs in it. I will give it 3 or 4 more cycles through the oven before I try using it again.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Things are going to stick. It ain't Teflon and you can't cook on it like it is.

Cooking with cast iron takes some learnin' and a lot of trial and error. It's a whole different skill set. I have a #9 griddle that is so slick I have to be careful when I fry eggs and try to flip them. The spatula will push them right off the side. But, if I cooked them wrong, they'd stick even on that griddle.

The nonstickiness will develop more and more over time.

After each use, clean it out well and put it on the burner to heat up and dry. Then, wipe it down with more Crisco and heat it up until it starts to smoke and the grease begins to bubble and separate. Turn off the burner, wipe with a paper towel, and let it cool off.

Each time you do this you're building on the existing seasoning.

Posts: 20125 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post