SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Moving to Alaska?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moving to Alaska? Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
We're in Wasilla, once we close. Renting in Anchorage until then.

We're abandoning most of the bulky stuff. The essentials are going in U-boxes.

If the closing on the Vegas house goes smoothly, I will drive the Alcan. If not, and the winter is closing in, I will put the car on a ship and fly up.

Bruce

Congrats to you and the family on the move, house and jobs. Hoping you get to drive the ALCAN, I'm jonesing for some TimBits. Smile

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Update:

Move to Anchorage complete! I'm still waiting for all of my gear to catch up and for the house to close but the family is all here and that's what matters!

Impressions so far:

Anchorage: Blech! I happen to be renting in a very spiffy neighborhood (off Westchester Lagoon) so I am surrounded by pampered Patagonia poseurs. Liberals as far as the eye can see! Hipster beer boutiques, masks, "Hate has no home here" signs on lawns, the whole shebang. Gag me with a spoon.

Wasilla: Now, that's more like it! No masks. "Let's Go Brandon!" stickers on cars. Guns for sale in the local grocery store. Sled dog teams pulling ATVs while they wait for the snow to come (the Iditarod practically runs through my backyard).

Weather: Gorgeous. Chilly but very clean air. Even the gloomy days are pretty.

I love it but will love it more when I have my own things around me in my own house.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Understand where you are. Always Carry.
I’m mostly talking about two legged critters; a surprising number/majority are running from the law.

A former client of mine up there was kidnapped at an ATM. Taken out in the woods to be shot. Had to do the right thing and lived.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I’ve been reading about your adventure with excitement.
Be sure to post some pictures when you get settled. Especially the first big snowstorm!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Color me jealous. Congrats on your adventure sir.

I always wondered how I'd get tons of ammo up there.

Also, seems like I'd want my own small plane. Gotta learn to fly it first. And pay for it I guess.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6963 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your progress! I'm sure you'll soon be fully established and happy.

I visited Alaska for the 3rd time this past August and yes, Anchorage is pretty Liberal. Lots of masking, some of which was federally mandated. Commercial tours required masks and proof of vaccination with recent negative tests. I still had fun.

Alaska is a dangerous place, with risks not usually found in the lower 48. Be careful--we don't want to lose you.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Los Anchorage is a mixture of slums, neglected diversity, and yuppie libtards ignoring the world around them in favor of their own utopia.
Mixed in there are a few conservatives who believe the end justifies the means, they're on a mission to make money and get out.

Eagle River is in serious talks of breaking away. We'll see, they've tried before.

Wasilla is a frontier town that has growing pains. It's not-so-frontier anymore, and most of the conservatives that couldn't accept the idiocy of los anchorage, or have families they don't want abducted, raped, or brainwashed in the libtard schools...all moved to Wasilla.

The traditional valley folks are all moving further out if they can. Too many Los Anchorage types changing the politics of Wasilla and Palmer now. Palmer is fighting back, they've got a conservative majority in their governance again.

I'm glad you made it safe. The shooting range in palmer used to be really good (I was an RSO there back prior to our move in 2008), might still be. I never like birchwood shooting range, too many rules, and too much of a "good ole boy" club that likes to change the rules. I've been pretty impressed with the AMMO store in the 1st floor of my Wasilla satellite office. 4900 E. Palmer-Wasilla Hwy

I'm headed to Point MacKenzie for a job sometime middle of the second week of November. I'd buy lunch or coffee if we can make the timing work. If I pick up this second job at Birchwood airport, then I'll spend the night in the valley and have a more flexible schedule.

Email in profile

Also, I'd host the shooting if you get to my neck of the woods in Kenai. I've got a heated shoot house at my range...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Congrats, Bruce, on the move! I’ve always wanted to go to Alaska. I hope you’ll post some pics when you can. Be safe!

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Congrats on making it up here.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Just reading through, congratulations on the big move. I go up once in a while, now a relative has vacant property on the Kenai, off water. He just went to hospice, not sure what’s next, for property.

Even if not a fisherman, I’d venture out next Spring. Yeah, there’s ice fishing, for the hardy.

It’s great your wife is gang-Ho on the move. Now make sure your armory reflects AK utility.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some great moving tips here, even if it is just within the lesser 48 as someone called above called it.

After spending 20+ years there, 66-88, living almost the entire time in Anchorage, I was surprised and dismayed about the egregious turn to the the liberal (dark) side of Anchorage and the Valley. Of course in my time there there were always the liberals / hippies to the outright communists, but they were for the most part fringe minorities. Back then, Alaska had some hard men, it certainly shaped my life in so many ways. It seems as if the California, Washington, and Portland liberals fouled their own living area and now want to do the same for the great State of Alaska.

I do miss Alaska; it was an exciting period of my life, but I probably won't go back.

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post