SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Favorite bushcraft fire starter?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite bushcraft fire starter? Login/Join 
posted
Red pine fatwood by Manuel Ortiz, on Flickr

I really like using fatwood. Works great in snow, rainy conditions. Easy to process. Oh yeah, it smells great!

Posts: 21 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: May 20, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Fire starter? White Birch bark... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8919 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
9V battery, steel wool, and dryer lint.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Lighter/waterproof matches
dryer lint
Cotton balls with Vaseline

I like the idea of flint and other older school stuff but when I want a fire especially when backpacking I just want a fire. Collecting tinder and firewood is enough.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16404 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
uh diesel fuel?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11007 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:

I like birch as well. I prefer fatwood, just because it has a longer burn time. Birch is easier to process to catch a spark though.

Posts: 21 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: May 20, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
Lighter/waterproof matches
dryer lint
Cotton balls with Vaseline

I like the idea of flint and other older school stuff but when I want a fire especially when backpacking I just want a fire. Collecting tinder and firewood is enough.

I have cats, so dry lint from my dryer is a no go. Smells terrible to me. Cotton balls are great, but I like just being able to find the stuff instead of carrying it out, but it all depends on what is available in the area.

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Potassium permanganate and glycerine. From a suppository.

They make great portable glycerine containers.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17280 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eLLegitLegit:
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:

I like birch as well. I prefer fatwood, just because it has a longer burn time. Birch is easier to process to catch a spark though.

Birch Bark to 'start' the fire, Fat Wood to 'kindle' the fire... Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8919 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Orion Fire Pit Pro. Actually a mini road flare.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16101 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ust Blastmatch with vaseline impregnated cottonball or lint in water resistant Rx bottles or similar

Posts: 912 | Location: Tucker, Ga. | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
I finally gave in and purchased a Lighting Strike. It's the Cadillac of fire starters. The GobSpark is great as well.

Tinder in no particular order:
-Fire cubes
-Fat rope
-Fatwood
-TinderQuik
-Vaseline and beauty cotton (round/flat makeup remover)

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Whatever you have, practice with it. There's nothing worse than not being able to get a fire going when you need one. A BlastMatch (for example) might seem fool-proof...until you're cold, wet, hungry, and have frozen fingers, and you're trying to get the damned thing to throw sparks without pushing your pile of tinder all over the place.

I'd also recommend carrying a back up method (or two), for when (not if) your chosen method fails to work.

Posts: 20118 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like to dunk cotton balls or rounds in wax. This helps waterproof them, and they tearooen for lighting. Take a spark from a ferro rod easily, burn for several minutes.

More recently, I'm experimenting with self lighting ones. Stormproof match, cotton pad wrapped around the stick with the head exposed. Tied with jute twine to hold it while it dries, dipped in melted paraffin and dried. Strike the match to light it, and place it in the fire lay. Got about 9 minutes of good flame from the last one.

For natural, I like fatwood. Lots of pine around here.

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Swedish firesteel I'm a big fan of KISS

Posts: 8151 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like to challenge myself. Learned how to find and use chert combined with a knife and char cloth made using weapon cleaning patches.

I learned how to make and use a bow drill, not fun for me. But do it anyway.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eLLegitLegit:
I like to challenge myself. Learned how to find and use chert combined with a knife and char cloth made using weapon cleaning patches.

I learned how to make and use a bow drill, not fun for me. But do it anyway.

When I build up the skill level I want with flint and steel, bow drill will be next. I have several options in my kit for starting fires. I try to practice with the most difficult, but keep the easier methods as back up plans.

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Potassium permanganate and glycerine.

I remember mixing these in chem lab one day. It's impressive. We also mixed the K with sugar. With some friction, it lights off pretty much the same.

For some reason, I never thought to carry any in a survival type situation. I'll have to change that.

Posts: 20118 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Potassium permanganate and glycerine.

I remember mixing these in chem lab one day. It's impressive. We also mixed the K with sugar. With some friction, it lights off pretty much the same.

For some reason, I never thought to carry any in a survival type situation. I'll have to change that.

Just be sure not to follow the directions on the glycerine suppositories when choosing where to carry them. Wink

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17280 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Usually just use a Swedish Firesteel to get some sparks and if it's winter or rainy season, I carry Trioxane fuel tablets to get a flame started and then start adding to it.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4336 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post