SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dog breath/teeth cleaning
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dog breath/teeth cleaning Login/Join 
Cummings Custom Refinishing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
Be careful of places that sedate your dog to clean their teeth. Maligators can be tricky to sedate.

Last month I took my son's Beagle mix to have her nails trimmed and the vet sedated her and charged me $145 for a nail trim. Time to find a new vet

Cummings Custom Refinishing offers Quality Craftsmanship at affordable prices. Fully Lic FFL's for over 30 years
OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED
423-639-8924
www.ccrrefinishing.com

Posts: 5208 | Location: Eastern Tn | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:

Last month I took my son's Beagle mix to have her nails trimmed and the vet sedated her and charged me $145 for a nail trim. Time to find a new vet

Indeed.

Either your vet is totally price gouging you, or you had much more done than that (i.e., bloodwork prior to sedation, cost of sedation, nail trim, etc). I could see if you opted to do pre-op bloodwork (maybe $80-100) plus sedation, plus nail trim. Otherwise? Yeah, you got the Beverly Hills option. Some vets just refuse to wrangle with an unruly/biting dog, which is their option, assuming their clients are willing to pay the price.

My clinic? Yeah, we wrangle. If they bite staff, we might tell them next time we will rx some happy meds, and then when that doesn't work, time to go night-night.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cummings Custom Refinishing
posted Hide Post
Never mentioned any blood work all I was told is they were going to give her something to calm her down but the bill showed total sedation and she could not even stand up when they gave her back to me, She was out off it all night

Cummings Custom Refinishing offers Quality Craftsmanship at affordable prices. Fully Lic FFL's for over 30 years
OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED
423-639-8924
www.ccrrefinishing.com

Posts: 5208 | Location: Eastern Tn | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
This is an older pic of my puppy that had a big tooth and part of her gum removed yesterday along with a dental cleaning.

She had some finely shredded salmon for breakfast and seems to be mostly back to herself today aside from a bit of discomfort in how she rests her head and licking trying to find the tooth.

Slabsides was kind enough to provide a lot of good info on the procedure, questions to ask and what to expect after. Thanks again.

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this is common (can be found around the country) or unique to the vets in our area. There is a woman who was a dental hygienist for humans that exclusively does dogs. No sedation or anesthetic and about half the cost ($200 vs $400 in our area). I was skeptical, but our vet swears by her. Our dog (a GSP) isn't the type to sit still and let someone work in her mouth, but amazingly she did it. Uses low lights, soft music and cradles the dog on her lap while sitting on the floor. She cleaned a considerable amount of hair from under the gum line and cleaned off all the tarter. Really worthwhile. The hygienist makes the rounds of all the vets in the area.

Certainly worth it to me to not have to anesthetize an older dog.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1450 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
add a few drops of Frankinsence Oil to the toothpaste. It really gets that bad breath

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Roscoe the BEST Siberian/Malamute we ever had, allowed me to brush his teeth with a toothbrush and Crest. We started with chicken flavored toothpaste from the Vet and he didn't care for it. Then I started bribing him afterwards with a hot dog or similar meaty treat.

Ran out of the Vet supplied toothpaste so tried Crest on him. He seemed to like the taste. Took care of the breath problem.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MtnPlinker
posted Hide Post
We are having initial luck with Tropiclean Fresh.

I’m skeptical as no brushing is required...but our dog, the avatar, is not so different from said Beagle.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Front Range CO | Registered: April 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post