SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Zaxby trademark infringement case. Who is right?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zaxby trademark infringement case. Who is right? Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
YOu have to protect your trademark

Harley has done that for years, many uniformed responses giving HD crap for suing some small bike shop with a HD logo in orange and black, or someone making HD logo shirts, etc.

HD has to protect the logo, trademark, colors, and local dealers, as does this company, if they have franchise stores they have to protect the business.

Joellas should have trademarked it, or had a smarter marketing designer, should have made it the shape of a stop sign.

Posts: 24231 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Joellas should have trademarked it, or had a smarter marketing designer, should have made it the shape of a stop sign.

Here's the problem as I see it. I understand defending your trademark from those who are clearly ripping it off. I don't see that as the case here.

Ok, so you make the logo the shape of a stop sign. How many chicken restaurants are in the US? How many shapes are there?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15846 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
Not confusing at all. Another reason not to eat at Zaxby’s.
I did, once. Wasn't impressed enough to do it again.

Neither logo is very distinctive, but I wouldn't confuse them.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
“They got the golden arches. Mine is the golden arcs. They got the Big Mac. I got the Big Mick. They use a sesame seed bun. My buns have no seeds”

Posts: 8881 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
The difference between the logos is so great that if Zaxby's wins this suit, then any logo with a chicken on it is an infringement. Unless it was used before Zaxby's logo, in which case the Zaxby's logo is an infringement on it.

Which is exactly why I fully expect Zaxby's to lose this suit.

Posts: 27302 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
You cannot trademark an animal, only your version. Zaxby's has a version that really doesn't look a lot like a real chicken; in fact, it looks more like Woody Woodpecker mated with a duck. Joella's has a silhouette of a real chicken.

Joella's would probably win, but also probably cannot afford the $400-500k it would take to find out. Zaxby's will win with might, not with the law.

Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
one is a rooster while the other is a hen.
This.

"Ahm not uh chicken, Ahm uh rooster; no meat on the bone. Thar's uh chicken. Go git 'im, boy."

Doo dah, doo dah. Smile

Posts: 4822 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can read I do not need a logo to ID a restaurant. I guess if you are an illiterate, pics are helpful. I have never paid attention to restaurant logos.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Who was around first using that logo?

I recall eating at Zaxby's in Mississippi while at USAF tech school but always thought it strange they served what were basically frozen Ore-
Ida french fries baked in an oven.

Posts: 34536 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
You can do a lookup on US Trademarks using the UP Patent Office TESS system:

Here is a link to Zaxby's trademarks:
http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/..._search=Submit+Query

And the one in question:

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/...tate=4805:d5tph7.2.8

The official/legal description of the logo:
quote:
The color(s) Blue, red, and white is/are claimed as a feature of the mark. The mark consists of "ZAXBY'S" written in blue above a red circle with a white silhouette of a chicken in the red circle.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:

Which shows that Joella's also has a trademark on their chicken logo. Big Grin

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15846 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Uh oh.

Posts: 16169 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
As an impartial observer, who has never heard of either company...Those logos look nothing like each other. Can't we all just get along?

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member of FPC, GOA, 2AF & Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2872 | Location: Tucson Sector | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
...The company alleges that Joella's Hot Chicken logo is "confusingly similar" to Zaxby's trademarked logos...

It sure does, but only if your IQ is room temperature - Celsius.

I wouldn't expect anything but this kind of thing from the Zaxby's franchise given their history over the years.

Their food reminds me of IHOP. If they spent half as much effort putting flavor and taste back into their food as they do the signs...

Posts: 9404 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ergoproxy
posted Hide Post
So there more to than just KFC, CFA, Canes, and Popeyes? I want to try that Joella's

Posts: 1158 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

Yep - I would think that would help Joella's defense. The Zaxby's trademark was granted in 2015 and the Joella's in March of 2019.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Both logos are garbage.

Fine them both a million dollars and force them to come up with something appealing.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34390 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

The fact that both are trademarked means the examiners don't see enough points of similarity(if any) to have prevented Louella's from registering theirs. That will go a long way to resolving this in favor of Louella's. Hopefully they can and will defend their rights. And hopefully this blows back on Zaxby's in a big way.

Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post