SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    City Council meeting, Pitbull ban.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

City Council meeting, Pitbull ban. Login/Join 
posted
Discussion starts at 35 minuets.
If you're interested.
Should the Council member who own's a pit mix have to abstain from the vote?

-----------------
Silenced on the net, Just like Trump

Posts: 578 | Location: SUX | Registered: May 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
Yes, just like legislators who own guns should not be able to vote on gun control legislation.

wait..............Oh, nevermind.

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2448 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Abstain? No. We vote people in to represent us. She represents pitbull owners in this case and there isn't anything wrong with that.

Should council members with children abstain from voting on playgrounds and schools? Should council members with or without cars abstain from voting on road improvements?

First gentleman played the race card.

My take on the former councilman who brought up the conflict of interest question is he was a councilman that voted for the ban in the first place and is looking for anyway possible to keep it in effect. He also threatened to sue the city should the ban be repealed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 11113 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
It's wild to me that Pit Bulls used to be called "Nanny Dogs" for the way in which they protected children. Now, due to scumbags and losers they are bread and trained for destruction.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
It's wild to me that Pit Bulls used to be called "Nanny Dogs" for the way in which they protected children. Now, due to scumbags and losers they are bread and trained for destruction.

Yeah, sad is it not?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25645 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Dogs are dogs. It's not the Poodle's fault if some twatwaffle puts ribbons in its hair.

They would do better to outlaw assholes. They would just switch to Dobermans or Rottweilers, or whatever.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15498 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:... They would just switch to Dobermans or Rottweilers, or whatever.

There is the truth.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43982 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, sad is it not?

'Tis.

Some of the worst bites I've ever seen, and am willing to bet are responsible for more maulings, are from labs and lab mixes.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
This is just a symptom of a real problem: the mindset that government can fix whatever grief people have, real or perceived.

Posts: 8642 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Balaam's Ass
Picture of Vero8
posted Hide Post
My experience in this area is anecdotal, but vast. This is why I support mandatory micro chipping and registration for all dogs. I've seen too many mauled children and elderly persons in my line of work. Not to mention smaller dogs ripped out of their owner's arms and ripped to shreds. Too many owners that attempt to hide the dogs or deny ownership of the dog(s) after the incident. A law requiring the owner be legally bound to the animal and held accountable for it's actions would go a long way to promoting more responsible behavior.

God bless America...and no one else

Posts: 4398 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I've got 2 pit mixes that are the sweetest, goofiest, and most loving dogs I've ever been around.

I've also had to kill a pit mix that was going after anyone who walked down the street one day.

The problem isn't the breed of the dog. The problem is the character of the owner. Pit bull bans are ridiculous. Wave a magic wand and eliminate the breed and the same assholes who currently raise problem pits will raise problem dogs of a different breed.

Posts: 2598 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damn, I was hoping they would ban the artist, not the dog.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have nothing against Pit Bulls but there might be a little more to them than many owners like to admit.

I work at a company of about 300 people and used to constantly hear how everyone's Pit was just a big lovable goof. They got a bad rap from blah blah blah.

Then our owners decided that you can bring your well behaved dogs to work if you like. On any given day there is probably 15-20 dogs there. Guess how many Pits have ever been there.

You guessed wrong there was actually one and the owner only did it two times and kept it restrained under her desk both times.

That tells me a lot. Certainly not the whole story but a lot. You certainly never hear the owners talk about their Pits anymore.

Posts: 3940 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Been said before. There are no bad dogs, just bad owners.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5919 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vero8:
My experience in this area is anecdotal, but vast. This is why I support mandatory micro chipping and registration for all dogs. I've seen too many mauled children and elderly persons in my line of work. Not to mention smaller dogs ripped out of their owner's arms and ripped to shreds. Too many owners that attempt to hide the dogs or deny ownership of the dog(s) after the incident. A law requiring the owner be legally bound to the animal and held accountable for it's actions would go a long way to promoting more responsible behavior.
Can't say I disagree with your approach, but, we don't even hold these owners responsibly for the crimes they commit themselves, so I think its a pipedream to envision they'd ever be held responsible for what their dogs do.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
That tells me a lot. Certainly not the whole story but a lot.
It does tell you a lot, but probably not what you think it does. Dogs in general that are not trained and socialized can behave very poorly in a setting around lots of other dogs/people. That has 'zero' to do with the breed. I take my hound to the park almost every weekend, in an amongst dozens of dogs of all breeds and sizes, and we rarely ever have an issue with anyone....except the dog that's not been socialized and trained appropriately. And interestly, those dogs are usually always ankle biters.

I've owned a number of dogs and worked with a couple dog rescues over the past ten years, as well as fostering some dogs during that time. One thing is clear from my experiences. There are no bad dogs, but there are a whole lotta bad dog owners who are directly responsible for how their dogs behave. That rule is also true when it comes to children.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, we used to save there weren’t bad horses, just horses having “rider problems”. Same thing with dogs. The problem isn’t inherent in the breed, it inherent in many of the losers that choose the breed to look like a badass and have no concept of how to handle a dog, any breed of dog). Sigh...

A powerful dog can be dangerous. I do not support special licensing to be able to have certain breeds. That is the same kind of silliness as requiring a license to own a gun. Pure nonsense. I could certainly get behind holding owners of any breed of dog for their dog’s actions though.

Posts: 6941 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
It does tell you a lot, but probably not what you think it does. Dogs in general that are not trained and socialized can behave very poorly in a setting around lots of other dogs/people. That has 'zero' to do with the breed. I take my hound to the park almost every weekend, in an amongst dozens of dogs of all breeds and sizes, and we rarely ever have an issue with anyone....except the dog that's not been socialized and trained appropriately. And interestly, those dogs are usually always ankle biters.

I've owned a number of dogs and worked with a couple dog rescues over the past ten years, as well as fostering some dogs during that time. One thing is clear from my experiences. There are no bad dogs, but there are a whole lotta bad dog owners who are directly responsible for how their dogs behave. That rule is also true when it comes to children.
That could very well be true but many of the Pit owners bring their other dogs to work. I guess they could have all been socialized differently.

Posts: 3940 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:

That could very well be true but many of the Pit owners bring their other dogs to work. I guess they could have all been socialized differently.
"Differently" is one issue, but the main issue is that they haven't been socialized from an early age at all, nor have they been taught where they fit into the pecking order (i.e. behind or below the owner). That and many of the people who own Pits have no business owning one because they have zero clue how to raise one appropriately.