SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Getting real tired of shortages...
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting real tired of shortages... Login/Join 
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted
Been trying to find a new graphics card to do a new PC build for a year now....

Anyone having luck? Anyone know of any waiting lists out there.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
This has been a problem for 2 years now. I had to trade up 4 times to get my 3070ti. Your best bet is waiting at a store like Best Buy when they have a drop. I tried for 2 years to get a card online and the bots beat me out every time.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7083 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It’s my understanding that high end graphics cards are scarce due to bitcoin mining?

Have you tried eBay or even maybe a WTB ad here?

Posts: 33884 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Good. Fed up is good. Shortages are the friends of the people who love this country. The more shortages we have, and of longer duration, the more people will get fed up. The more people get fed up, the sooner well get back to normal.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107742 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Shortages happen to the unprepared.

/s/Grandpappy//s//

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14041 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

/s/Grandpappy//s//

With some things... but I'm unsure of how I could have possibly prepared for a shortage of something that didn't even exist before this pandemic nonsense.... The graphics card I'm trying to buy hadn't even been developed yet and wasn't available for sale....

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Good. Fed up is good. Shortages are the friends of the people who love this country. The more shortages we have, and of longer duration, the more people will get fed up. The more people get fed up, the sooner well get back to normal.

Sure, but I was fed up way before that. I'm not exactly in the group of people who need to START being outraged.

Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
What card are you looking for specifically? What's your budget?

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7083 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
What card are you looking for specifically? What's your budget?

I'd take pretty much any 30 series GeForce card... The ones i see online are 2 to 3 times the price... Ebay has 3060's for about 800 bucks for a 329.99 card.

I'm not going to reward a scalper.

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
quote:

/s/Grandpappy//s//

With some things... but I'm unsure of how I could have possibly prepared for a shortage of something that didn't even exist before this pandemic nonsense.... The graphics card I'm trying to buy hadn't even been developed yet and wasn't available for sale....

Can’t have a shortage then. Wink

Remember Cabbage Patch Kids?

Demand is currently exceeding supply for a short (less than 7 years) demand item.

By the time supply can get to your level of consumerisem, demand will be focused on the next item.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Posts: 14041 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

/s/Grandpappy//s//

Demand is currently exceeding supply for a short (less than 7 years) demand item.

By the time supply can get to your level of consumerisem, demand will be focused on the next item.

Sure... but how could I have prepared for it?

Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Newegg does a lottery just about every day for their limited supply of cards. Grab the app.

Posts: 3666 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'm sick of this shit too, other than unforeseen purchases, I have back up everything and manage to get lucky most of the time, the times I don't I go to Amazon, even though they are one of my last choices.

Luckily outside of work I've not faced any shortage I couldn't substitute or shop harder for. I'd be really pissed if my graphics card shit the bed right now or if I needed to buy a car.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20844 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

/s/Grandpappy//s//

Sure... but how could I have prepared for it?

How are you currently prepared fir that item not presented for sale yet?

Buy yesterday’s fir .25%. Wink

Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
The liquor store was out of the big bottles of Maker's Mark the other day. Schit it getting real now.

Posts: 3559 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
There are still truck tires (semi truck) available but selection is diminishing. If that gets bad you have a compounding problem.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5690 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Yeah, shitty timing, largely unrelated to Covid. This is amongst the worst times in history to be shopping for higher end PC graphics card. Crypto has wrecked that entire scene.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
...I'd be really pissed...or if I needed to buy a car.

^^^^
My two oldest kids were both rear-ended late spring. We were able to repair one vehicle but the other was totaled. We've looked for a new car but I'm not paying what dealers are asking for right now. And, obviously, you can't have another car in storage. One Toyota dealer wanted 15k above MSRP. Right, I'm all over that. What I do know is when I buy, if it's a Toyota, it won't be you.

Posts: 12475 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
The liquor store was out of the big bottles of Maker's Mark the other day. Schit it getting real now.

I'm going to chalk that one up to the holidays and everyone buying booze. My local store was completely out of Knob Creek. Plenty of Maker's though. Hopefully the Knob Creek eill be restocked when I go back tomorrow.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Balzé Halzé,

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30433 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
I got on the EVGA waiting list Sept of 2020 for an RTX 3080 (10G-P5-3897-KR) and was able to get it at the original retail price around February 2021. I still see the same part number on Ebay selling double what I paid (used) and sometimes 2.5 times what I paid for a used one. It's nuts. There is no end in sight for the GPU shortage, unless you want to pay the jacked up price for one.

I think if you have a Microcenter near you, that is your best bet. They have some kind of voucher system. Newegg has a lottery of sorts too.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2272 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post