SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mortgage refi options?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mortgage refi options? Login/Join 
posted
Can anyone recommend a good mortgage lender? Is Rocket Mortgage (formerly Quicken Loan I believe) reliable and trustworthy?

Are there any other online sources for mortgage refi's that are good to go?

Or is it best to go with a major bank - I know we hate them all.

Thanks!

Posts: 3974 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Loan Depot

The name is cheesy, but there are many reasons they get really good reviews:
  • Competitive rates
  • When I refi'd in Aug '20, never once did I have to resend them something I had previously sent. My employer moves me every few years and not resending stuff was a first for me.
  • Very quick and efficient. When I did mine everybody I knew was 45ish days, but mine was 30 days.
  • Used a mobile notary so "closing" was at my dining room table
  • So far, they haven't sold my mortgage.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23692 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The Unmanned Writer
    Picture of LS1 GTO
    posted Hide Post
    What state are you in?

I just went through a lady (Maureen Martin) in San Diego (i forget who the lender is). (I would strongly recommend avoiding Anthony Lyons BTW).

I know I was not her only client and at the same time, I felt I was her primary concern (VA loan) and things went very well with lots of comms and quick responses when I had questions.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14160 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I did a refi over the summer and after looking at many options I went with Rocket. They were on the ball, sent a notary to my house for closing which took 30 minutes, and their rates matched the best I could get anywhere. Process took less than 30 days from beginning to end. I ended up with a 15 year fixed at 1.9% which will save me about $90k in interest over the life of the loan. Their fees were in line with other lenders.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    I Deal In Lead
    Picture of Flash-LB
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by DaveL:
    I did a refi over the summer and after looking at many options I went with Rocket. They were on the ball, sent a notary to my house for closing which took 30 minutes, and their rates matched the best I could get anywhere. Process took less than 30 days from beginning to end. I ended up with a 15 year fixed at 1.9% which will save me about $90k in interest over the life of the loan. Their fees were in line with other lenders.

Whether you go with Rocket or not, do the 15 year fixed and get out of debt.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Made from a
    different mold
    Picture of mutedblade
    posted Hide Post
    If you are/were military check out Navy Federal Credit Union. Just closed on my refi in November and I can say it was pretty straight forward.

Posts: 2861 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Just because you can,
    doesn't mean you should
    posted Hide Post
    I'd check with a local smaller or community bank near you too.
    My last refi of a commercial building was done that way and since they know the local market they were a fraction of the various fees while still being slightly lower than larger banks.

Posts: 9834 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Caribou gorn
    Picture of YellowJacket
    posted Hide Post
    I ended up using my local connection, but I started out shopping rates using Better.com and LoanDepot.com. I was impressed with both services, actually.

You just go on, fill out your information and they assign you a personal broker who becomes your point of contact. No more dealing with a big faceless website... much more like dealing with your local bank. Their rates were great and actually better, initially, than my local broker who has done about 5 loans for me. She ended up being basically the same as they were with rates and points so we went with her but I was pretty happy with both web services.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10594 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The Unmanned Writer
    Picture of LS1 GTO
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by mutedblade:
    If you are/were military check out Navy Federal Credit Union. Just closed on my refi in November and I can say it was pretty straight forward.

Surprising as this sounds, the lady I noted above was able to get me a VA loan 0.15% lower than NFCU.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14160 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    blame canada
    Picture of AKSuperDually
    posted Hide Post
    Varies state to state.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13988 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Little ray
    of sunshine
    Picture of jhe888
    posted Hide Post
    If you can get a recommendation of a good mortgage broker in your area, he or she can give you good guidance as to what lender is good and can meet your needs.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks everyone.
    While we’re still researching options, including local credit unions, it sounds like the online options are not to be feared

Posts: 3974 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Left-Handed,
    NOT Left-Winged!
    posted Hide Post
    Union Savings Bank in IN, OH, KY, PA.

I just closed yesterday on a 13 year (balance of the 15 year I got 2 years ago) at 2.5%.

Previously I had 3% from January 2020. I probably should have refinanced a little while ago when rates bottomed out, but I'm fine with what I got because rates just went up a quarter point after I locked it in.

Fees were $285, nothing else. No points, no fees baked into the principle. I've used these guys for many years. They didn't even have to send an appraiser. But you do need excellent credit and a fully conforming loan with at least 20% equity.

Posts: 4963 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    blame canada
    Picture of AKSuperDually
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jimineer:
    Thanks everyone.
    While we’re still researching options, including local credit unions, it sounds like the online options are not to be feared

I still say it depends...

I get calls and emails from those online lenders daily. My company, and every company I know in my state won't perform appraisal services for them. Then months later I get calls from the borrowers and have to explain why their online lender can't get an appraisal for their loan. The stories I hear are people who've been told to hold for months, and it takes several months for the lender to admit they can't do the loan.

Just be aware. I know it's common practice in the lower 48, but in non-disclosure states and other areas where appraisals aren't the average 12 hour job for a couple hundred bucks, these lenders can't get an appraiser to work with them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
    "Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13988 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    We initiated a refi with Navy Fed, and they told me to shop around and bring them the best loan sheet I could get so they could match it. I hit a bunch of the online vendors (rocket, etc) and got several decent loan sheets. Navy Fed's initially offered rate wasn't good, but they matched the lower rate and points without issue. And, they were awesome to deal with.

Peter

Posts: 96 | Location: Chesapeake, VA | Registered: September 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    His Royal Hiney
    Picture of Rey HRH
    posted Hide Post
    When I look for mortgage financing or refinancing, I look for simple APR with no origination fees or points. Points and origination fees simply increase the loan interest without most people realizing it. Also, they complicate breakeven period calculations that lets you know how many months you have to stay in the loan just to start realize any savings compared to the old loan. And any loan with origination fees or points can be translated into a simple interest loan.

After that, the other items I remember are: who pays for the appraisal fee and how much, documentation and title fees.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20079 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Not as lean, not as mean,
    Still a Marine
    Picture of Gibb
    posted Hide Post
    My wife is a Loan Processor for Fairway Independent Mortgage.

They don't advertise like Rocket or Guaranteed Rate, instead they rely on local offices to build rapport in the communities. They still can do online/remote lending if preferred though.

Worth checking to see if they are in your area.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3385 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Did a refi with rocket last year. Took about a month. Rate was very good, process was fairly easy.
    Fill out some online forms, submit documentation online. Notary came to my house for closing.

Posts: 1085 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of barndg00
    posted Hide Post
    We closed on a refinance of our mortgage with Better.com just over a year ago. Converted from a 30 to a 15 year loan. I did pay some points, but calculated out the total cost vs previous loan and other options and it was best for us. I did not take any equity out. Process was pretty painless, they sent a notary to the house for closing.
    Of course, the loan was immediately sold to another servicing company, but so far no problems other than almost daily emails suggesting we refi again (when rates are higher)

Posts: 2162 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    As Extraordinary
    as Everyone Else
    Picture of smlsig
    posted Hide Post
    Credit unions are a good option for many depending on your residency.

We’ve used Penfed for several loans and have been impressed with their online speed and pricing.

www.Penfed.org

------------------
    Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6482 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post