SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Seeking experience in leasing old style Verizon grandfathered unlimited data
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking experience in leasing old style Verizon grandfathered unlimited data Login/Join 
Picture of EasyFire
posted
Does anyone have experience in leasing as lessor or lessee of Verizon old style grandfathered unlimited data?

Specifically with the unlimited WiFi hot-spot function?

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Well, I have a grandfathered Verizon unlimited plan, and some experience in tethering with it, but not with leasing, so I may be able to help with part of your question.

Background: Due to the horrific ISP choices in my area, I am using my Verizon phone hotspot as my personal ISP.

1) Don't buy a phone from Verizon to do this. They cripple them and then make you pay to enable tether. Hotspot functionality is built into Android (and, I believe, also into iPhones) until/unless the phone companies remove it. I got a Moto X Pure from Amazon, and got a sim card to connect it to Verizon via the mail. I did not take it anywhere near their techs (and won't) to make sure they can't add their bloatware and can't cripple the built-in features.

2) I called Verizon tech support on another issue yesterday, and while I had them I confirmed that my grandfathered plan has no limits and is not subject to their new 'unlimited plan' data speed degradations.

3) Tethering with a mobile phone is an interesting exercise, if you haven't done it before. Your fixed-in-place equipment (PCs, Rokus, Chromecasts, Amazon Fire, etc.) get a varying signal strength if you wander around the home with your phone. Need to think about how that affects your setups, etc.

4) In my case, the hotspot is the fastest signal we have....4-8x faster than my Ethernet-to-DSL Modem .... and a slow wired connection at the same time as a fast wireless is not typical. If I have both the WiFi and the Ethernet adapter active at the same time, the geniuses (Windows 7) seem to ignore the WiFi (fast) connection and send all the data to via Ethernet, giving me the iffy DNS service, bad ping and slow speed of ATT DSL. So I have to manually disable adapters depending on whether I need to connect to the local net or get fast Internet.

Good luck, and I hope this helps.

Posts: 15143 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
Joel9507,

Thank you for your response and information. You have given me some information to consider that I had not thought of before. And that is the use of a Droid phone that is unmodified by Verizon.I will think on it.

Now a bit of info for you. I also have Verizon's old true unlimited service and find that I get excellent unlimited WiFi hotspot service up to 150+ gigs per month using an app called FoxFi from PDANet & Junefabrics.com on older Android operating systems of 6.0 or less. This may give you better connection service than you are reporting here. Still available on Play.

Because I am moving to an urban area with good internet service, I must consider dropping 2 lines or leasing them out and was seeking info about that.

You can reach me on my email if you wish to get a little more info about FoxFi. Email on file.

EasyFire

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did this for a little over a year. The only option at our house was 3 MB DSL and Verizon LTE could put out 15 MB here. The account holder had his system down good and he was fair and communicative. And then Verizon torpedoed our line because we were routinely well over 100 GB a month.

Now we have 3 MB DSL...

Posts: 5202 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post