SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    3 Year old keeps getting out of bed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3 Year old keeps getting out of bed Login/Join 
posted
Any tips for handling a 3 year old that keeps getting out of bed?

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Keep feeding him/her. In another 10-12 years, you will likely have the opposite problem. Big Grin

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
My 2 year old was getting out of bed and coming into our room. Her "bedroom" was actually the original homeowner's office with french doors that have the spring loaded ball detent at the top which holds them closed. When closed she doesn't have enough ass to open them.

Only took her a few nights to figure out that with the doors closed she couldn't escape. We still shut the doors but she no longer gets out of bed.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scares the bejesus out of you when you wake up with a "Chucky" doll a foot from your face silently staring at you don't it?

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Limit naps

Posts: 5323 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Remind said 3 year old about the monsters under the bed that are only dangerous when its dark, and an adult isn't in the room. As soon as 3 year old feet touch the floor, the monsters wake up.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37965 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I've had this problem before and it's usually one of three things.

1) You put on the handcuffs too loose.
2) You did no use enough Ketamine.
3) You improperly used your duct tape.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Luckily mine mostly stayed in bed and when she didn’t she just grabbed her pillow and trudged like a Clydesdale horse to our room. I am a light sleeper so I always heard her coming. She would just climb in bed with us, usually pushing my ass out of the way, without a word.

I would usually let her hang for 20-60 min unless I fell deep asleep and the tell her it’s time to go back to her bed and would walk her back. Fairly rare for her to get up now.

If it was early morning 0430-0500ish I would just let her stay.

All I can offer is some truth given to me........

Long nights give way to far too short years.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
No ceremony, no arguing, just straight back to bed, and be consistent.

Mine knows she can get up for the potty or to get a drink of water (she gets a water bottle in her room each night so that eliminates one of her excuses), or if there's truly something she needs.

Most nights, she still will get up once or twice before she finally falls to sleep. The biggest thing has been not to make it fun for her or reward her with attention. We're still working through it. The reaction is basically, "Oh, you're up? And it's not for a good reason? I'm not happy about that. Back to bed."

It's a delicate balance. If she's scared or needs something, though, I want her to come and get me. Lately, it's been middle of the night, and she's hungry, while she ate a good dinner earlier at supper time. I won't make her go back to bed hungry, then. She's in a growth spurt, I think. So, we head to the kitchen, and I make her a sandwich, or get her a bowl of cheerios, whatever. Then, I tuck her in back to bed. On the 4th of July, fireworks woke her up and she was scared, so I did my fatherly best to comfort her and make her feel safe. But, out of bed just to be silly and play? Nope - not having that after bedtime!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Either my wife or I lay with our son, now 5 at bed time, until he falls asleep. I was not in favor at first, but it works. He goes to bed quickly, vs a lot of other kids his age we know where they stay up and fool around by themselves in bed. It calms him down.

If he gets up at night, one of us will lay with him in his bed. usually a few minute only until he falls back asleep. We'll then return to our room.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
I've had this problem before and it's usually one of three things.

1) You put on the handcuffs too loose.
2) You did no use enough Ketamine.
3) You improperly used your duct tape.

H&K-Guy
Big Grin

Problem with that is, Ketamine only lasts for 15-20 minutes. A healthy dose of Benadryl will give you a good couple of hours, especially when coupled with the proper application of duct tape.

Posts: 20105 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
If you have a child who cannot get out of duct tape or handcuffs they need to be checked to see if they have developmental difficulties. Smile

I mean I was opening the child proof caps for my parents since like 8. Smile

1 benedryl in ME is like a license to sleep for like 24 hours and I am fat and a ..... well let’s just say a very low maintenance drunk. I can hold my liquor.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Watch YouTube clips of Supernanny related to bedtime and getting out of bed. She usually uses the sleep-separation technique. Patience and persistence for a few nights should resolve the problem.

Here’s an example:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/so6cfZGRgbs

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post