SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Considering an over / under and need advice please...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Considering an over / under and need advice please... Login/Join 
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted
Thinking of getting into shooting trap / skeet. I realize they are two somewhat different sports with specialized shotguns for both. I’m just looking for a do it all 12g O/U. I guess I’m leaning towards 30” barrels with interchangeable chokes. I realize I’m probably better off finding a used “better quality” gun than a new “lower quality, entry level” ie. Stoeger, piece. That being said I guess I’m looking for suggestions with a budget of maybe 5-600. Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: apf383,

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7517 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apf383:
Thinking of getting into shooting trap / skeet. I realize they are two somewhat different sports with specialized shotguns for both. I’m just looking for a do it all 12g O/U. I guess I’m leaning towards 30” barrels with interchangeable chokes. I realize I’m probably better off finding a clean “better quality” gun than a new “lower quality, entry level” piece. That being said I guess I’m looking for suggestions with a budget of maybe 5-600. Thanks.

Good luck with that.

I bought a used 12 ga Browning Citori 35 years ago for 500 and at the time any Citori that came in used got sold before it got put on the shelf. In fact, I happened into the Sporting goods store over lunch and asked my usual question, "any used Citori's come in" and the store manager I dealt with said, "yes, came in this morning we haven't had time to put it out". I said, "go get it, it's sold". I got a 20 ga Lightning in better shape and paid 750 for it, same timeframe. Last year I added a 28 ga to the fleet, new in box and paid about 2,200 for it.

I love my Citori's!

Son has a Browning Cynergy which is similar to the Citori that I got him for a gift many years ago, loves the gun.

I don't shoot anything but O/U's. Saves bullets as that third shot at the duck with an auto is rarely productive and wasteful. ;-) If I can't double with two barrels, what's the point.

Hope you find something that you can use but double guns aren't cheap.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3796 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
I am a Trap shooter mostly. I have played the game for a good while and shot some friends guns over the years. Later in life I purchased beretta, ljutic, singles, double and unsingles. I had a breakdown in a state shoot and a friend allowed me to borrow a Browning Ultra XT trap. If not for the breakdown I would have finished in the top 5. The only Trap gun I currently own is the Browning. Price does not determine how good you shoot FIT and PRACTICE Do! If there is a range you are using? Go there and talk to any of the shooter's there, I am sure you will see guys shooting 500 hundred dollar guns alongside guy's shooting 10,000 dollar guns. If you show an interest people will offer to let you shoot their gun. Trap shooter's are really nice people and love to share the sport. Good luck.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An O/U for these sports will run 3500-5000 dollars. There are no cheap O/U guns.

Posts: 17261 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
For someone just feeling out the sport I’m not going big money just to check it out. I’ve got good money tied up in other projects. Just checking GB I’m certain if I go 7-800 or so I can get something plenty suitable for my purposes. I can even trade a handgun I don’t use to sweeten up a private sale.

Posts: 7517 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Savage made or still makes a affordable stack barrel. Weatherbys Orion is in your ball park price wise. You could scout your local Gun Shops too as every once in a blue moon comes a Ruger Red Label or Remington 3200 for a respectable price, deal. Just my thoughts. I played skeet with a auto loader built for the game. Its a hoot and a tad faster shooting than trap.

Posts: 17987 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
apf, go on Guns International and search over/under. There is a good variaty of affordable models.

Posts: 17987 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Weatherby Orion or ATA sporter are probably the best over/ unders you'll find in that price range. Most cheaper over/ unders have alloy receivers and while they're great for walking around the field, the recoil can be pretty stout. They're no fun for a round of sporting clays. The aforementioned guns have steel receivers.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3634 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting trap and skeet for more than 50 years and have owned a lot of shotguns ranging from Mossberg to Krieghoff. You will not find a quality O/U in today's market within your price range, especially with changeable chokes. My recommendation with that budget is to find a used Remington 1100 or 11-87 with Remchokes. They fit into your budget range, have great resale value, and plenty of tournaments have been won with them. Then if you decide to get more serious after shooting for a bit and want to spend the money move up to an O/U.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4373 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
I was going to say something Similar to what Pickle Rick Said .
I would like to add with this Story Several Years Ago I went to The Indiana State Trap Shoot and was Just hanging around watching technique and drooling about some of the guns . Started a conversation with a guy And to shorten the story He offered to let me shoot a round on the practice field with his Perazzi and this was the first time i had even seen the man

Posts: 1627 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
First, it will be difficult to find a good O/U at your price point.

The good news, shotguns last a long time so look for used. This is a good forum, keep looking in the classified: https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/index.php. Check the bulletin boards at your clubs shotgun fields, there are often guns listed for sale.

The advice I give all new shotgunners:
1) There are many good guns however look for a B gun, Beretta or Browning. Both are good guns with readily available parts. Resale value is good too, if you get into the clay games your first gun will not be your last.
2) Try as many guns as you can. Find someone at your gun club that shoots trap, skeet or sporting. Ask if they have a gun you can shoot. Most long time clay shooters have more than one gun and many want to introduce new shooters to the game. Alternatively, some clubs rent guns.
3) Point 2 is important. Remember Point 1 on the B guns? They are both good but different. Beretta "feel" good to some, Browning to others, I am a Browning guy. Shotguns need to fit well for you to shoot well. Shoot as many guns are you can to see what feels good.
4) $500 can buy you a used Semi or pump. Not a bad start. Downside, you need to pick up hulls and it is good to have a knock down device so ejected shells don't hit your squad mates. Remington 1100 (semi) or 870 (pump) are my recommendations for this route.
5) Learn a bit about the games before shooting. Skeet is different from Trap is different than Sporting Clays/Five Stand. Not only in the actual shooting but the etiquette surrounding the game. They are all good games, with Skeet being the best Razz, but shot differently.

Go for it, clay games are seriously fun. Good luck.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 743 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Buy this book or one of their others. Learn about fit etc. https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebo...nt=Ad%20group%20%231

If the gun you buy doesn't fit, then it will be like you are throwing rocks. You will get what you pay for.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10994 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I have many Beretta o/u, semi-autos, and various pump action shotguns in both hunting and sporting configurations. IMO, having just helped my neighbor get into the games of sporting clays, the best entry level o/u shotgun is the Weatherby Orion. They can be found for around $700 and are made in Turkey as are most of the shotguns below $1000. The craftsmanship exceeds the price by quite a bit, and it comes with auto ejectors which is usually not an option found in this price range. It does not have an automatic safety which lends itself well to the sporting clay games. I believe it is available in 28” barrel in the hunting configuration. The sporting model will add another $100-$150, and will give you an adjustable comb as well as longer barrels. If you can save up or stretch your budget just a little you can end up with a quality gun. I would be completely happy and content owning the Orion. Spend a little time watching the YouTube video reviews on the Weatherby, I think you will be impressed by the comments and value.

Posts: 3031 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
Find a used beretta O/U for 1500 and go shoot the crap out of it for a few years and sell it for damn close to what you paid for it.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5182 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input guys. Friend of mine is going to let me use his Mossberg 500 pump just to see if I like it. I’ll decide after that. I can always free up some cash by selling a pistol to give me 1k+ towards an O/U should I take a liking to it. Thanks again...

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Hope it works for you, those are fun games.

The more expensive guns can help you score better, if your experimentation leads you to want to improve your performance, but having fun is all that really matters.

The good ones are built to last, and a used O/U of a good model would be a reasonable next step if you decide you want to, and give you years of fun.

Posts: 15157 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In that price range you will be better looking at a semi auto gun. Try looking fir a Beretta 390, Beretta 3901, or a Remington 11-87.

Posts: 2241 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dan03833
posted Hide Post
I use a Browning Citori with 30 inch barrels. You can use chokes to suit your situation. 5 stand, sporting Clay's, trap and skeet.

Posts: 1545 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used a S&W 1000 for a lot of years.. Got out of the game when I developed shoulder problems. Still have to gun in my safe..My go to gun is a Mossberg 500 in 2o ga.

"All warfare is based on deception" Sun Tzu, The art of War

Posts: 552 | Location: Gulf Coast of SW Florida | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Going to have increase that budget a little bit. Like others have suggested, gets a used Browning or Beretta o/u. With your current budget, you’d do fine with a semi.

Posts: 1368 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post