SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for a fishing rod & reel from Gander Mountain
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a fishing rod & reel from Gander Mountain Login/Join 
posted
Gander Mountain is going out of business, and has their fishing stuff discounted.
I am, at best, a “casual” fisherman.

I see this as an opportunity to get some decent stuff at a better than usual price. Let’s say I’d like to spend no more than $200.00 on everything. For the sake of argument, let’s say my hard upper limit is $300.00.

I think I use “fishing” as an excuse to be outdoors, and may even be “inconvenienced” if the fish were to strike my line.

My fishing “knowledge” is limited to baiting a hook, putting it in the water, and watching for the bobber to bob.

I’m close to the fishing at KY Lake. I don’t have a boat, so it’s bank fishing for me.

Please suggest rod, reel, and other things I may need to wet a line. Thanks in advance.

Jake

Posts: 271 | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used the Pflueger President spinning combo for years. Multiple rod/reel sizes to choose from. I use a 7 foot medium weight rod. I paired it with the 6940 size reel, and have caught crappie to pike with it.
Have them spool the reel with 8 or 10 lb Suffix Elite mono line and you are good to go.

Tight lines,

Tom

Posts: 88 | Location: North West Illinois | Registered: September 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for a spinning reel imadat's advice seem's solid.

Shimano has some good reels as does Penn these days. I like St. Croix rods.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19709 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I would recommend an ugly stick for a rod. A medium is probably fine for you, perhaps a 6'

Reels, avoid the Gander Mountain ones. I tend to favor Okuma, but Shimano are good too. I have no experience with Pflueger but don't recall hearing any complaints.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38205 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
It really depends on the fish you target, saying you need a fishing rod is like saying I need a gun to hunt. I have several higher end rods made my G loomis along with numerous Shimano reels. little more info and I can steer you in the right direction.

Posts: 5677 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate it when something is on my line, disturbing my tranquil fishing time.
I would second the Pflueger President spinning real and St. Croix rod combo. A longer road should help you cast further, and asset from the bank. 6'6"" or 7'. This reel and rod combo are scaleable for bass, catfish. I use this combo for trout fishing with 2lb line.
Other things would include selection of crappie jigs. Bass lures (crankbaits and rubber bodied worms and such). Get a kit of hooks, sinkers and bobbers for live bait. Maybe a lake map of Ky lake for access points and features. Lastly, I've noticed if I don't bring a stringer, I'll be interrupted more often by the fish. Enjoy the new hobby!!!

Posts: 283 | Location: Outside St. Louis | Registered: June 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
I would recommend an ugly stick for a rod.

This.

Ugly Sticks are great rods.

Posts: 20565 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imadat:
I am, at best, a “casual” fisherman.

I think I use “fishing” as an excuse to be outdoors, and may even be “inconvenienced” if the fish were to strike my line.

My fishing “knowledge” is limited to baiting a hook, putting it in the water, and watching for the bobber to bob.

Jake

get an ugly stik combo with a reel already on it. $40.00 tops. if there is a Wal-Mart on the way op Gander mountain you can save the trip.

for what your needs are $300.00 worth of equipment will not make your experience any better. The same reason I don't have a #5000.00 shotgun for shooting skeet.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3900 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
While ugly sticks are good and preform pretty well if you select the right length and weight, like any other rod. I have consistently had the plastic eye inserts pop out. While WM will replace them, does not make the fishing trip a complete success. So price vs quality is not great on them.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19709 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
ugly stick is known as a flexible 2x4 in the fishing industry, not exactly the most sensitive rod on the market, but hey if you want to slam it in your car door you probably wont break it. Big Grin

Posts: 5677 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all the replies.

I want to buy some sort of all around type rod and reel combo that would last me for a long time. Asked guys at work what they suggeted, and their answer was to get a rod that was ~$70-$100, and a reel that was about the same. That's how I got to the $200.00 line.

Other than saying I'm fishing for whatever strikes my hook, I don't know enough to know enough to tell you what type fishing I'd be doing.

My only other consideration would be that the rod splits into two pieces for transportation.

Thanks, again, for your input. I'll try to go to the store today to see what's available.

Jake

posted Hide Post
Price check them even with their going out of business sale. I went in last week to get a pair of waders. The original price was 119.99, they had marked the price up to 139.99 and had them marked 15% off. I let them keep the waders and the other handful of things I'd planned on purchasing.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sureshot,

Been there. Done that. Didn't buy the shirt that was less expensive on Amazon than the "we're going out of business plus get rid of inventory discount..."
Thanks for the remnder.

Jake

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
There's a good probability a Zebco spincast outfit from Walmart or Bass Pro would do what you want in a trouble-free manner for well under $100. I still have one from my youth (50 years ago) that has been used and abused by numerous nieces and nephews over the years, and caught a lot of fish.

Heck, for that matter, I've seen good useable vintage outfits for next to nothing at yard sales many times.

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
For bank fishing (what I do) I recommend a 6-foot rod. It's easier to maneuver and cast around brush and such to get the bait where you want it. Make sure you get a spinning rod (no finger rest/trigger) and not a casting rod (has the trigger).

You want an open face spinning reel, 25/2500-30/3000 size that will take about 120 yards of 8 or 10-pound monofilament line.

A $20-40 Medium Fast rod and any name brand reel for up to $50 should do the job and is even overkill. Shimano, Abu Garcia, Mitchell, Lews, Okuma, Pflueger.

Last time I checked fishing stuff was discounted 15% off prices that are higher than anywhere else.

With the above you can bank fish for bass, sunfish/bream, perch, catfish, etc. up to about 5-6 pounds in weight.

Update: Fishing stuff is 20% off. Anything worth buying is already gone.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mikeyspizza,

Posts: 4057 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mikey, Thanks. I think I'll go that route. Went there today. There was a rod marked up to $80.00 with a discount to $70.00 and a sticker on it someone forgot to remove for $69.99.

Argh! Some other store.

Thanks,

Jake