SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2010 Subaru Forester question.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2010 Subaru Forester question. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Dealership salesmen and service writers prey on women customers.

IMO, take the Forester to a Subaru technician you can trust.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
There’s a reason it’s called the “stealership”.

Posts: 26922 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
In February 2019 I took my ex-wife's '08 Impreza into a Subaru shop (Not Camelback Subaru, I used Subiworx this time). After four years of no safety inspections. I wanted an oil change and maybe drain/fill the transmission.

In no time at all they were showing me front brake pads worn to a whisper and control arm bushings rather missing. After d/f of engine & transmission oil, front pads & rotor surfacing, brake fluid flush, and (rear?) control arm bushings, the car handled like it was brand new. I could not believe how tight the front end now felt.

At 72k, it was the first "major" service since new (other than tires & battery twice, and front brake pads at 35k). $740. Added new Michelin tires and TPMS sensors. It's a styling beater go-cart with 80k and no trouble lights.

Sorry I'll be to see it go in six months to my S-I-L. A promise is a promise, especially to family. If I want another one (new), the torque and HP are down to 150 from 170, and the 4-speed transmission is a thing of the past.

Who knows what will be found during her first PA safety and emissions inspection in March 2020 (yearly mandate here; it currently retains its AZ plates, a state with smog testing only). A lot can happen in six months, though.

A shop monkey once showed me oil on my new truck's steering rack. 18 months old, 24k, under warranty, and this kid shows me fresh oil on the rack. Unknown what that was about. I sprayed it with degreaser, rinsed, and monitored. Nothing. The dealership was scratching their heads as well. Completely unconcerned, as that was the one component which nearly never failed.

In your case, a second opinion (your own) might square things away. But if it is a dealership making the assertion, there is probably evidence of a leak. Severity, that is another matter. Heck, there is evidence my truck's rear seal passed a tiny bit of oil at one time. Maybe when it was brand new, and the seal was settling itself in place. Wink

This brings to mind my doctor's response one day. "Doctor, I threw up some blood". How much blood?. A mouthful of blood did not bother him if it did not happen again. A drop of oil on the rack, with no oil dripping onto your driveway?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Power steering fluid levels are fine. Underneath I did see the passenger side boot looks like something has leaked on it or from within.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goose5,

Posts: 7532 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Dealership salesmen and service writers prey on women customers.

Absolutely. But when I offer to accompany them to the garage they say, “no thank you”. Women say I act like an asshole. They think I ask too many questions and make too many demands on service. Roll Eyes

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Took it to my guy. The passenger side boot looks like something has leaked on it or from within. He got into the boot and nothing leaked out. He said I like to make money too, but I'd watch it or course, but at this time I wouldn't do anything. He checked the ball joints and there fine as well. I asked about price when it was time to do the work. Significantly south of what the dealership quoted. Thanks all for your help.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put 150K on my 2013 Forester (same as 2010 basically) and I never touched the suspension or steering once. It was religiously maintained every 5K, including diff fluid swaps and plugs at the prescribed intervals.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 973 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonDaddy82:
Put 150K on my 2013 Forester (same as 2010 basically) and I never touched the suspension or steering once. It was religiously maintained every 5K, including diff fluid swaps and plugs at the prescribed intervals.

Body style is the same but 2010 is the last year for the EJ253 in the Forester. It was replaced by the FB25B. Similar displacement but the FB series have the oil filter on the top.

Posts: 1060 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
Took it to my guy. The passenger side boot looks like something has leaked on it or from within. He got into the boot and nothing leaked out. He said I like to make money too, but I'd watch it or course, but at this time I wouldn't do anything. He checked the ball joints and there fine as well. I asked about price when it was time to do the work. Significantly south of what the dealership quoted. Thanks all for your help.

Good to hear. If you decide to drain/fill power steering and trans fluid, I'd recommend using Subaru fluid. It's about $7 a quart and you'll need 4 quarts for transmission and less than a quart for power steering.

Posts: 1060 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
The leaking is almost certain to be the head gaskets weaping oil. They can go many thousands of miles like that and all of them in that year do it with enough time. It only becomes a concern when its either too much or leaks coolant.

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post