SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need help from my Dodge diesel brothers.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help from my Dodge diesel brothers. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
So my saga on my 2002 2500 is not over yet. As I mentioned the truck runs great.

This where I need some help. About 15k miles ago the front ball joints were replaced. When my brother drove it there were still issues with the front end. This shop said it needed a new track bar and a new steering box. So both were done. When test driving the truck after all the work had been completed the steering was better but not back to snuff. So back it went. The mechanic test drove with my brother and agreed it was not fixed. A week went by and the shop called to say the Red Head steering box was defective and so they were going to replace with a new one NC. Fast forward another week and they said the new unit leaked. They indicated that in their reseach that Red head had been sold recently and they are thinking their quality may be at issue. They indicated that Red head has been the unit they had been installing with out issue prior to mine.

Looking for advice on where I should go from here. They are listening so I am not at odds with the shop, yet.

What do you guys think is the story and how should I proceed?

Thanks guys.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Red Head steering box

https://www.dieselpowerproduct...oxes-whats-the-hype/

This was in 2019 but they gave RedHead a glowing review... They are a USA company, at least its not from Guangzhou.

Other than that you could try and find NOS factory box.. Imagine that will be more.

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I installed a Redhead on my diesel but that was a few years ago. They used to be the one to use.

Posts: 4101 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Red Head steering box

Found this, haven't used them, but another source

Blue Top Box

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
We are not going to put another Red Head unit in. I am assuming the shop was using a new, not a remaned unit. Don't know that for sure. I was paying for new though.

Looks like PSC might be the best unit currently, Blue Top and maybe Borgeson after that. Let me know if I have that wrong. Thanks guys.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
You didn't specify what those issues are so it's hard to tell.
Lets start with the often overlooked basics. With the engine off but the key on so it's not locked, have someone slowly turn the steering wheel back and forth while you watch the steering shaft under the hood.
Be sure all of the u-joints and splines they fit to are tight. If that's OK, go under the front while doing the steering movement again and watch all the parts to look for issues.
Next jack the suspension on each side as far outboard as possible until the tire is just off the ground and try to move the tire in each direction.
Keep moving and prying on parts like linkages carefully until you find something loose.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
The steering box is shot. Had two reputable shops make that determination. Just trying to get the best steering box I can to complete the repairs and get the steering back to 100%

I do appreciate the effort to help diagnose the issue.

Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
When I owned my '99 and then a '03, I bought most of my parts thru Genos Garage. I replaced the steering box on my '99 with a Borgeson, and also purchased a steering box stabilizer and brace at the same time. These two items helped. The thing you have to realize, the front end, and mainly the steering of Dodge trucks are a poor design at best. Once you get a functioning steering box you should be all set.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 2011 Ram 3500 dually had a couple of inches slack in the wheel when I bought it with 36k on it , I eventually bought a new OEm from rockauto and it took care of the problem along with new Moog balljoints and steering brace. The same truck also developed a bad oil leak that turned out to be leaking under the timing cover which involves pulling the camshaft to fix correctly, a very labor intensive fix.

Posts: 449 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
We decided on a PSC steering box. It is in the process of being installed. I hope it lives up to the hype. Will report back once it is installed.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Did redhead/shop reimburse you for the defective box?

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
There were two. The first was defective. The second one leaked upon installation. Surely the shop will be compensated for the those. I would assume they will also recoup some labor from them for the two installs. I paid for the steering box replacement as part of my overall bill to the shop. I am thinking that the PSC box and install is covered by my original payment.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
OK so you bought it through the shop, was thinking you bought it direct.

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Yep, through the shop.