SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trucker on my side of road.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trucker on my side of road. Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Wow, nobody here has ever inadvertently crossed the line?

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

And run someone off the road? No. Not ever.

Around here I'm avoiding people crossing the line to the inside of the turns. I don't believe I've seen many crossing the line to the outside. Glad SC saw it and avoided it.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:

No.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34120 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

This is why I bought a dash cam. They're just about mandatory these days with how shitty of a driver people are.
Yup. My opinion, it is foolish to drive without one.

Here's my example: https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/7110048544

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Damn
She just blew through the light

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39757 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's like asking if a pilot has never paid attention and sent another plane diving
Truck drivers are trained then licensed NOT to do stupid shit with a DOT certified vehicle.

Posts: 39757 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Years ago I was hit by a semi while driving home for Thanksgiving on I-15. I was lucky to survive as at one point his rig was pushing my car down the freeway sideways. I can still remember looking out my driver’s side window at his grill and my brain splitting in two - one half screaming I’m going to die and the other half noting all the dead bugs on his grill including a big butterfly.

Later the highway patrol told me the only reason his rig did go up over the top of my car and crush it or start rolling me down the freeway is because of two huge bolts on his bumper that punched two holes in the side of my car. They figured the bolts inside my car along with a lip on his bumper kept me from rolling and/or his rig going over the top of my car.

Posts: 12467 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Damn She just blew through the light
Yup. Videos posted here by you and Marzy were part of what motivated me to get the cameras for my wife and me.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
For years I had a plain handicam in the car sucker cupped to the windshield
Para asked years ago who kept a video camera in their car.
Well I did then and have a dashcam now
Nothing like having a reliable witness

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I bought one, not Garmin but TomTom off Woot, $75 a great price, large screen, continuous recording, includes GPS etc. Works great.

Just one thing, these cameras have the ability to turn off the mic in the setting, might be a good idea if you are prone to colorful language, or cussing out poor drivers, last thing you want in court are 10 historical videos in which the judge is hearing you call everyone a pecker head and you sound like a raving mad man at everyone else LOL....

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loaded Round:
Happens constantly around here. I've had to leave the road 3 times in the last 2 months. Lots of distracted driving in the big trucks Frown

I chartered a bus for business trip a while back. Seated on the right hand side of the bus, I could see into the cab of the big trucks. Couldn't believe how many were texting / using tablet / using laptop. At least every fourth truck.

If you think that is scary. The number of four wheelers texting, facebooking and watching movies on their phones while driving is well over 50%. I see it all the time from the big truck as well as have my drivers tell me the same thing. I hit the train horn on once as he came beside me with his phone in his hands horizontal watching a movie. He got all kinds of pissed and proceeded to road rage me and brake check me. Even called it in about hitting the horn next to him and waking his 2 yr old daughter up. He failed to mention anything about brake checking me or swerving lane to lane so I couldn’t pass and he could brake check me. I did see his daughter after I hit the horn. Driving and watching movies with a child in the backseat is bad enough but to endanger the child by brake checking a semi is a special kind of stupid.

God, Guns, and Guts made this country....let's keep all three

Posts: 495 | Location: TX | Registered: March 09, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Can almost guarantee you what happened...
he was set up left all the way around the corner. He was offtracking making room for the trailer tires to clear the curb. Poorly designed corner.
Road's too narrow. You cannot see that curb at that angle from a tractor.

Not that it excuses it, but that's my educated guess.

Glad no accident happened.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yep riding a motorcycle around here you see tons of people texting, watching utoob or netflix, playing with phones, they always swerve going down the road, or are under the speed limit, clueless of whats around them.

I still think all cell phone screens should be locked up when they sense movement over 15 mph or so, you could still make calls or take them with voice command and the earpiece would be disabled, you'd have to use speaker or be connected via BT to the car radio or an earpiece.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
After reviewing all of Marzys dashcam videos, someone asked God if He was mad at Marzy or did not like him. God replied that He loved Marzy and was not upset with him, Marzy was just so much fun to mess with.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

I still think all cell phone screens should be locked up when they sense movement over 15 mph
I would be 100% in favor of this if there were some way of distinguishing between driver and passenger use. Also, screen should not lock out GPS. Sometimes you need a map.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Whenever I have had a chance to see why a trucker or anyone for that matter is using the full road or highway it’s usually from texting on the phone.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I would be 100% in favor of this if there were some way of distinguishing between driver and passenger use. Also, screen should not lock out GPS. Sometimes you need a map.

Should have said, Interactive action with the screen, looking stuff up, scrolling news pages, etc, GPS could be active app, just disable the ability to use the screen to change things,

All phones would allow voice commands, you could plug in your headset and listen to music etc, interaction with the screen should be immobilized.

Problem with making passenger access acceptable it would require allowing the user to select that as the use, and we know that millions of people think they are the worlds best multitasking digital interface humans or they just don't believe their stuff stinks and would select passenger when driving.

Having a penalty that fines you $ for doing something that just caused a $10,000 accident, or injury or death to a person really doesn't fix the problem...

Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
What brand/model of camera is that? Looks like it takes good video. I'm a know nothing about them but I think it's a good idea to look into getting one for all the reasons stated.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6731 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JWF:
After reviewing all of Marzys dashcam videos, someone asked God if He was mad at Marzy or did not like him. God replied that He loved Marzy and was not upset with him, Marzy was just so much fun to mess with.

I've begun to believe he's just anxious to visit with in person, so to speak.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12419 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:
What brand/model of camera is that? Looks like it takes good video. I'm a know nothing about them but I think it's a good idea to look into getting one for all the reasons stated.

It's a Pilot 3003WK. I bought 3 of them when they were $20 at WalMart.
I need to set it's resolution higher.
Get the BIGGEST card it'll take.