SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can someone point me to the layman’s cliff notes of the new tax bill???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can someone point me to the layman’s cliff notes of the new tax bill??? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
The Left says I am going to die because of it the Right says it is the marrow of Heaven.
Which means it is somewhere closer to the middle.

Any way of figuring out if my family will benefit from it?? Are tax tables going to change so my check will be effected, will I just see it in my tax refund, do I need to adjust witholdings?
Would like to be able to budget.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25452 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post

Posts: 26517 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Your taxes will almost definitely go down. How much is the questions.

There are a bunch of online calculators but there are so many factors that make it hard to get real numbers. You can get an idea though.

https://www.google.com/search?...ceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16413 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
According to the NY Times calculator, I'll be saving an additional 5k.

We'll see.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17308 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Even the CNN and NY Times say mine go down. The only negative is that they revert to the old rates at the end 2 years because they weren’t made permanent.
Hopefully they can fix that this year.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 220-9er,

Posts: 9555 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
I'll be saving an additional 5k.

And that's why its the end of the world as they know it. If you "save $5000, it means "they" won't be getting it to do evil with. Immigrant babies will die, people living on the edge won't get enough to buy new tatto's, the bloated government may even need to cut back. Horrors of horror. Besides, you don't need that extra money you've earned, or at least as badly as the non-productive segment does.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From what I read we should all - generally - owe less. A lot less in some cases.

The interesting issue we will see early in the new year is how - or if - the lower taxes show up in paychecks.

The law was ratified and signed so late in 2017 that there has been - from what I have read- no time for employers / the IRS to make the appropriate witholding changes.

Big question - will they grandfather your former W4 form or how soon will a new W4 be required to make the new adjustments.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/k...idance/#748d6f6b3dd2

I have seen my first pay stub for 2018 - its pretty much the same.

------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Local talk radio stated that tax tables would be adjusted for February paychecks. Though they gave no indication of where they sourced that info.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25452 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Local talk radio stated that tax tables would be adjusted for February paychecks. Though they gave no indication of where they sourced that info.

I heard President Trump talking about it and he said February.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
I believe my taxes are definitely going up, mostly due to the limit on personal property and state tax deductions plus the elimination of being able to deduct financial management fees.

If I understand it correctly of course.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigWhup:
I believe my taxes are definitely going up, mostly due to the limit on personal property and state tax deductions plus the elimination of being able to deduct financial management fees.

If I understand it correctly of course.

have you run any of the calculators?

the standard deductions basically doubled-

plus some of the credits - much better than the deductions - are higher

------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post