SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Electrical help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electrical help Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
I need some help from my electrical friends here. What gauge wire do I need for a 30 amp RV plug.
It's going to have a male 30 amp round plug on one end might be about 12 ft long Max and it'll have the black white and green wires that will wire into my circuit breaker box on my trailer. I was told 10 gauge. But the plug I'm replacing which has a bad end on it. Koseems like it's quite a bit heavier but it's a 25-ft plug as well .Thanks guys

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19173 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
How much power are you putting through it?

Power Needed is <35A Get 10/3 wire (10 gauge).
Power Needed is >35A but <50A, Get 8/3 Wire (8 Gauge).

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6851 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
I recently wired my daughter's house with 10 gauge 30 amp for her little dryer ... would think the same.

Here is a chart :

https://www.cerrowire.com/prod...ors/ampacity-charts/

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys. That was really helpful. I appreciate it

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19173 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Generally 10awg, but other factors can change it. You lose about 3% for every hundred ft, so if it’s a long run from your panel, you should go one size larger (8awg) to mitigate the voltage drop.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the old cord is long enough now, why not just cut a few inches off it and install a new male plug?

Posts: 1799 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I need some help from my electrical friends here. What gauge wire do I need for a 30 amp RV plug.
It's going to have a male 30 amp round plug on one end might be about 12 ft long Max and it'll have the black white and green wires that will wire into my circuit breaker box on my trailer. I was told 10 gauge. But the plug I'm replacing which has a bad end on it. Koseems like it's quite a bit heavier but it's a 25-ft plug as well .Thanks guys

Remember that your RV AC power is 120 volt only. Be careful and don't run 220 volts to your RV or you will fry it.

Posts: 51 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post