SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    United flight passenger beating/American Airlines fight with pregnant passenger - Page 47: Delta has gone too far this time
Page 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... 47

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
United flight passenger beating/American Airlines fight with pregnant passenger - Page 47: Delta has gone too far this time Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have to say though that it is a bit disheartening, if not alarming, to see the commercial airline pilots in this forum, whom I suspect many hold with great regards, to simply see the wrong in this situation. To recognize the simple business ethos and simple common sense.

As equally alarming, was the article in Newsweek by that Cornell law professor pointing out the illegality of United's action based on their own contract of carriage. I guess it is not that surprising that the United gate crew screwed this up, given that our own Sigforum captains didn't know it as well.

Posts: 1810 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Report This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
United Airlines' Own Contract Denied it any Right to Remove Passenger

by Jens David Ohlin

Like all airlines, United has a very specific (and lengthy!) contract for carriage outlining the contractual relationship between the airline and the passenger. It includes a familiar set of provisions for when a passenger may be denied boarding (Rule 25 “Denied Boarding Compensation”). When a flight is oversold, UA can deny boarding to some passengers, who then receive compensation under specific guidelines. However, Dao was not denied boarding. He was granted boarding and then involuntarily removed from the airplane. What does the contract say about that?

It turns out that the contract has a specific rule regarding “Refusal of Transport” (Rule 21), which lays out the conditions under which a passenger can be removed and refused transport on the aircraft. This includes situations where passengers act in a “disorderly, offensive, abusive, or violent” manner, refuse to comply with the smoking policy, are barefoot or “not properly clothed,” as well as many other situations. There is absolutely no provision for deplaning a seated passenger because the flight is oversold.

Bottom line is that if the airline wants to bump you from the aircraft, it must deny you boarding. After the crew grant you boarding, the number of conditions under which they may deplane you substantially decreases.

Might the airline argue that it had the right to refuse transport because Dao was “disorderly, offensive, abusive, or violent” (Rule 21H1) or causing a “disturbance” (Rule 21H4)? Although this depends on the facts, news reports suggest that Dao was not upset, and was minding his own business, until he was told that he was being involuntarily removed and he was dragged kicking and screaming from the aircraft. His being upset was caused by United Airline’s breach of its contractual duties towards him as a passenger, rather than the reverse.

All of this means that the airline may not have had the right to remove Dao from the aircraft. What are the consequences of this breach? Rule 21 on Refusal of Transport states that “UA is not liable for its refusal to transport any passenger or for its removal of any passenger in accordance with this Rule” and that the sole remedy is a refund of the ticket. In this case, however, United Airlines did not deplane the passenger “in accordance with this Rule,” but probably acted contrary to the Rule. So, the liability exclusion by its terms does not apply.

The last aspect of this case – the most disturbing one – is the level of force used by the police officers. Based on the videos, most observers have concluded that the force was excessive and unnecessary given the circumstances. A deeper issue is whether the police had the authority to remove Dao in the first instance once United Airlines declared him persona non grata and asked the police to treat him as a trespasser. Presumably the police had the authority to remove him (but only with an appropriate level of force), but even so, there is a plausible argument that Dao’s injuries and damages suffered during that process were caused by the airline’s breach of contract, which specifically defines the circumstances when it can refuse transport, none of which applied in this case.

http://www.dorfonlaw.org/2017/...tract-denied-it.html

Pared a lengthy opinion piece posted by fearsum dreadnaught, down as much as possible, yet still retain the lawyer's main point. I think this is Game. Set. Match.

Posts: 13582 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Report This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
"Third, Dr. Dao is made out to to be the sole victim, when in fact, 200 of his fellow passengers were held up for two hours because of his selfish actions. If he acted differently, this story never happens. If the Flight Crew seeking seats doesn't get to KY in a timely fashion, another 200-250 travelers are victimized by one man."

Horse puckey.

Any of the other 200 passengers had the same opportunity to take the measly offered incentive, deplane and the flight could have taken off. ALL of the passengers were victims of the stupidity and ineptitude of United's employees, from their failure to offer a sufficient financial incentive to get volunteers to get off the plane.

"Fourth, Dr. Dao was the only one with options."

How do you arrive at this conclusion? Again, any of the other passengers could have volunteered, and for the umpteenth time in this thread, United could have raised their incentive offer to a level sufficient to induce a passenger to volunteer. United could have made an effort to find another way to have a crew on site the next day. It was just going to be easier to use strong-arm tactics, or so they thought.

"Dr.Dao could have negotiated at the gate beforehand when it was announced four seats were needed."

As I understand the timeline, Dao was already on the plane in his seat when United decided they needed 4 seats for their crew. United owns this charlie-foxtrot, start to finish. They have already belatedly admitted that.

Posts: 27178 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Report This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
OK, let's try a different approach-

explain to me, please, hoiw this is relevent to the subject at hand.

Relevant or not, we at least ought to know the facts.

I heard this guy had a bowl of Cheerios for breakfast that morning. Does this have any bearing whatsoever on this discussion? Not even a little bit! Maybe we can get past irrelevant issues and focus on what the real problems are with this debacle.

Posts: 2859 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Report This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Concussion, broken nose and smashed out teeth?

The officer said "he fell".

Sure he did.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34406 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Anybody have a feel for the possibility of criminal charges and jail time for the Perps? I'm thinking of the "cops" since they administered the beating, but also against the airline employees who instigated the beating, primarily the air crew.

So far all I see being discussed is money, of which the industry has plenty to spare, no real punishment for the guilty. Jail time would put some teeth into the desire to reform the industry, I think!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9375 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Report This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Anybody have a feel for the possibility of criminal charges and jail time for the Perps? I'm thinking of the "cops" since they administered the beating, but also against the airline employees who instigated the beating, primarily the air crew.

So far all I see being discussed is money, of which the industry has plenty to spare, no real punishment for the guilty. Jail time would put some teeth into the desire to reform the industry, I think!

Doubtful. But it highly depends if what is being said about the airport cops not having jurisdiction on the plane. IF their jurisdiction was limited to the terminal only, and did not cover the plane, they could well face some sort of official misconduct charges.

Assault? I doubt it, really. It would be hard to get a conviction on assault (in a lot of states, don't know about the PRoI). I know saying that it is hard to win is hard to fathom for some people, but the standard is "beyond a reasonable doubt". The defense will steadily plant the seeds that the assault is a by product of them doing their "jobs". DAO will be assassinated by the defense on the stand. The testimony from all parties on a assault criminal trial would become relevant to a civil trail. In other words, an assault trial against the police is not in DAO's favor. In my opinion.

The settlement check will be large, with lots of zeros. Despite the airline employees around here telling us "Nothing will change" repeatedly, their culture will take a blistering after UAL pulls out of this. Rightly so. The arrogance of employees will probably still be there, but the consumer will see less of it.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37190 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Report This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
quote:
OK, let's try a different approach-

explain to me, please, hoiw this is relevent to the subject at hand.

Relevant or not, we at least ought to know the facts.

I heard this guy had a bowl of Cheerios for breakfast that morning. Does this have any bearing whatsoever on this discussion? Not even a little bit! Maybe we can get past irrelevant issues and focus on what the real problems are with this debacle.
j

He also prefers briefs over boxers. And did not cry when Ol' Yeller died. And he's an undercover agent for the F. B. I., and he's been sent down here to infiltrate to Ku Klux Klan.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37190 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Report This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
I have to say though that it is a bit disheartening, if not alarming, to see the commercial airline pilots in this forum, whom I suspect many hold with great regards, to simply see the wrong in this situation. To recognize the simple business ethos and simple common sense.

As equally alarming, was the article in Newsweek by that Cornell law professor pointing out the illegality of United's action based on their own contract of carriage. I guess it is not that surprising that the United gate crew screwed this up, given that our own Sigforum captains didn't know it as well.

Good points, both point to elitism and arrogance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Scoutmaster,

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Protein anchor:

I believe they would have been able to drive and still had time to rest properly. This incident took place in the afternoon - they could have driven to St. Louis and been there by mid evening. What's the problem? And, not to be a prick, but sometimes you have to work on less than optimal rest. In this case, however, they would have easily been snug as a bug by 9 PM had they so chosen to drive.

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about in regards to Federal work/rest hour rules.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30927 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:

Really?

Posts: 16187 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Report This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

I believe they would have been able to drive and still had time to rest properly. This incident took place in the afternoon - they could have driven to St. Louis and been there by mid evening. What's the problem? And, not to be a prick, but sometimes you have to work on less than optimal rest. In this case, however, they would have easily been snug as a bug by 9 PM had they so chosen to drive.

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about in regards to Federal work/rest hour rules.

Federal DOT regulations definitely govern how many hours of work per day are allowed as well as how many hours of rest MUST be obeyed. Penalties are severe. This is not only for airline pilots but also truck drivers. You may recall events of tired truck drivers falling asleep and killing people.

I have no problem with this in general, however as always the devil is in the details, especially once unions are involved.

I will say that I am in favor of regulations so that there should be NO tired pilots or truck drivers, or bus drivers, falling asleep and killing people.

Posts: 11990 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
quote:
quote:

Federal DOT regulations definitely govern how many hours of work per day are allowed as well as how many hours of rest MUST be obeyed. Penalties are severe. This is not only for airline pilots but also truck drivers. You may recall events of tired truck drivers falling asleep and killing people.

I have no problem with this in general, however as always the devil is in the details, especially once unions are involved.

I will say that I am in favor of regulations so that there should be NO tired pilots or truck drivers, or bus drivers, falling asleep and killing people.

The maritime industry is under similar regulations.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30927 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why are all those passengers upset at what they saw? Don't they know that all of this is the doctor's fault? I mean, they were eye witnesses. Surely they must be able to draw a conclusion based upon the events? How can they get it so wrong?

What's wrong with this picture?

Your argument is "they must be justified"? I'd tend to think the reaction of a random crowd of people witnessing an event would be just like every other SJW I see on YouTube.

Year V

Posts: 2674 | Registered: November 05, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
...also against the airline employees who instigated the beating, primarily the air crew.

Really?

Chain of events. Yes, really.

I know, "It's the Chicaguh Way!" so nothing will ever come of it, but one can hope.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9375 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Report This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
"Third, Dr. Dao is made out to to be the sole victim, when in fact, 200 of his fellow passengers were held up for two hours because of his selfish actions. If he acted differently, this story never happens. If the Flight Crew seeking seats doesn't get to KY in a timely fashion, another 200-250 travelers are victimized by one man."

Point of order. I was catching up on this tread and saw this statement. Previously I saw an article that there were 70 passengers. Check the aircraft type. It cannot hold that many. The diagram I found shows the layout.

https://www.alaskaair.com/cont...r-aircraft/e175.aspx

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6065 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Report This Post
Professor Smack-Down
Picture of Protein anchor
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
quote:
quote:

The maritime industry is under similar regulations.

My point was to refute others implying driving would have been in some way tiring. I stated there was plenty of time and they would have been to St. Louis in time get rest. I understand the regulations and their intent. I do find it odd that other professions don't require similar regulations.

So, aside from the mix up about me being ignorant about rest rules....do you think this was really a tough problem to solve?

----------------------------
Tony

Guns in my collection:

Awaiting next purchase

Posts: 4107 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: October 03, 2006Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
So, the Doctor and/or his wife both have valid driver's licenses and would be comfortable driving that distance? You know this...how?

Are we through with the rationalizations, excuse-making and non-sequiturs, gentlemen?

Posts: 109090 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:

Where does it stop? What about LE, Firepeople, Lawyers, Judges, Doctors, and Soldiers - in whose hands their own lives and freedom and the lives of others lie in careful balance daily, and who are often overworked, and under-rested, and involve high stress... What seems like a good idea on the surface is bad or at least poorly applied in reality, and protected classes, special groups, and all that jazz are nearly universally a poor choice.

We all have to work when tired. No sympathy here.

No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:

Point of order. I was catching up on this tread and saw this statement. Previously I saw an article that there were 70 passengers. Check the aircraft type. It cannot hold that many. The diagram I found shows the layout....

Curious. The person you quote starts out his post commenting on erroneous assumptions, omissions, errors in the reporting. He then presents his own string of erroneous assumptions, omissions, errors.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Report This Post