SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone familiar with liver biopsy? (Pancreatic cancer related....not me!)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone familiar with liver biopsy? (Pancreatic cancer related....not me!) Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
A very close family member was feeling out of sorts, losing weight, and slightly jaundiced.

Pancreatic cancer is the diagnosis. Spread into the liver and nodes - This sucks so much ass.

He is scheduled for a liver biopsy this Thursday and the medical staff has communicated next to nothing to him or his wife....SO frustrating.

Can anyone help with a few answers?

- What is the purpose of the biopsy, they already know it is in the liver.

- How long after the biopsy can they expect some type of response/results?

- Are there any specific questions they should be sure to ask when they meet with the oncologist?

File this under the growing category of ‘not fair’. He’s about to turn 70, has always eaten well and worked out, very active. No known family history of cancer.

Dr. Random says, “fuck you” I guess.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is the purpose of the biopsy, they already know it is in the liver.

Staging and determining most appropriate treatment of the cancer. The prognosis for stage four Pancreatic Cancer is not good. Procedure is outpatient done with local anesthesia. Results in a few days.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
If it helps...

diagnosis:
evidence for extensive metastatic disease related to pancreatic adenocarcinoma

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
diagnosis:
evidence for extensive metastatic disease related to pancreatic adenocarcinoma

Pathology report will go through the biopsy samples with a fine tooth comb to confirm diagnosis and grade the cancer. I do not know what tests have been done so far. Abdominal CT and probable ERCP I am thinking. The results will guide the treatment. It is to confirm that the cancer has spread to the liver from the pancreas. Treatment will likely be palliative in nature.

Questions to the oncologist should be simple. Diagnosis, prognosis and what to expect. A good oncologist will spend time with you and go over all the possibilites. My experience in general is that they are pretty empathetic people.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
ZSMICHAEL

Thank you so very much for the info.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

posted Hide Post
You are welcome. Hope it helps.