SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have you used ETSY
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you used ETSY Login/Join 
posted
Any experience with Etsy?

Never heard of it... thinking about purchasing an item listed there.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mech
posted Hide Post
Etsy? Yeah I have purchased things off of that site before. More like eBay and less like Amazon; with Etsy it's all privately run storefront and most of the stuff are sold by private sellers, so your experience could vary greatly; how are the seller ratings? That would probably be your best clue.

FWIW I have done...3 transactions through Etsy and all of them proceeded smoothly and without issue. If you pay with PayPal then you have that additional layer of buyer protection, which is nice.

Posts: 1160 | Location: SW Washington, Support Sporting Systems! | Registered: March 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use it both as a buyer and seller, closest thing to a problem I’ve had is not realizing the seller was overseas and it was something I needed quickly. I almost always use the filter to only show shops in the USA but I have noticed a few shops popping up that are just selling mass produced Chinese stuff.

Every seller I’ve come across are quick to respond to questions and ship very fast.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
61 sales, 16 reviews, all good but one, location CA.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
My wife has bought several things and only had one problem (wrong pattern on a monogrammed blanket) but seller fixed it with no issue. But like Mech said not all sellers are as easy to deal with.

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Wife used it a couple of times with no issue.

Posts: 5310 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had good experience buying a custom ring from there.

I had a poor experience buying a custom Star Wars Jedi type robe. Was sized horribly.

Posts: 907 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
I’ve purchased a few hand made pipes on Etsy without a problem.

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I've made two or three purchases through them with no problems.

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, no problems.

Posts: 785 | Location: Eastern Ma. | Registered: November 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Once, and they soaked my wife $65.00 for shipping/handling on a $20.00 purchase.

Posts: 1816 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
Used them once but don't really care for them. I'll stick to Amazon.

Had Ebay and PayPal accounts several years ago closed both. E-Bay prices are now mostly set price and no bid deals and their price isn't any better than what you can find on Amazon.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I've bought and sold from Etsy, never had a problem. I dropped my shop when I couldn't log on for a while, I might reopen it.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3407 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Etsy is a platform for people to sell stuff by listing individual items (more like eBay, as has been mentioned, rather than a store where each listing represents an item lots of people can buy over and over again).

There's other stuff on Etsy (some antiques and vintage clothes and such), but its main focus is sellers that make stuff themselves and then sell it on Etsy. As such, the quality of the items listed and the quality of the interaction with the seller and so on is totally dependent on the individual seller.

You can almost think of it like one of those antiques mall places - the mall offers a place to set up and credit card processing and security, and there are a hundred different dealers, each with their own little stall.

I've bought a few things and my wife has bought more, we've both been happy. My experience has been that people that make stuff themselves mostly take pride in their work and want the people who buy their stuff to be satisfied.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
My sister has a fairly successful Etsy based business selling crafty stuff.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15733 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Purchased something once as a gift, transaction went smoothly. Honestly not sure how "buyer-friendly" they are, vis-a-vis eBay but for the one purchase I could take the risk!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12453 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
My wife has bought several things and only had one problem (wrong pattern on a monogrammed blanket) but seller fixed it with no issue. But like Mech said not all sellers are as easy to deal with.

Same, except it was leggings instead of a blanket. Seller immediately sent the correct pattern, before even getting shipping label on the return.

Posts: 6926 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
My sister has a fairly successful Etsy based business selling crafty stuff.

Same here but sister in law. She also uses Amazon but generates more from Etsy

Posts: 578 | Location: East Texas | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ETSY is good to go.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
My first purchase on there, I bought something that said had "5 in-stock" but I think it's because the sellers have to post it as in-stock to sell it. I didn't realize when it said "hand-made item" that the guy had to make it. It ended up getting to me in time for the gift, but it was a stressful surprise that I should've seen beforehand.

I've used Etsy a lot since and never had an issue.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post