SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help! My chickens are out of control
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help! My chickens are out of control Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
We inherited 4 hens when we moved into our new house. Everything was fine last year - we got about 2 dozen eggs a week. This year, one of the hens started eating her eggs, and that behavior has now spread to one or two other birds. We've tried giving them mustard eggs, I made a special slanted nesting box which rolls the eggs out of reach, but they don't use it. I think their diet is fine - we feed them layer pellets which they seem to be eating. So, besides killing them, which I won't do, what can we do to stop them from eating their eggs?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Do they get enough calcium?

They can also develop a taste for eggs, and also if certain stressors/threats result in self preservation kicking in.

It becomes a bad habit and be hard to break.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43908 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
Calcium supplement and collect them more frequently.....I have 14 now and so far they are behaving. It’s a difficult problem to correct once they start.....I had a flock years ago that started eating their own eggs but a Fisher cat cured that problem over a couple months.

Posts: 3120 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgode:
Calcium supplement and collect them more frequently.....I have 14 now and so far they are behaving. It’s a difficult problem to correct once they start.....I had a flock years ago that started eating their own eggs but a Fisher cat cured that problem over a couple months.

I'm just using the standard summer layer pellets, so I would assume it has all the calcium they need. But I try giving them a calcium supplement. As far as gathering them frequently, one of goes out about every hour during the day to check.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Savage little cannibals! Big Grin

No clue just this thought made me chuckle.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8856 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I've got at least one doing the same thing. If I can catch the little b...iddy in the act, it'll be soup. Only cure I know of.

Make the sloped nest their only nest. They'll likely start laying on the floor or elsewhere, but it might work.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15250 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
If I can catch them, they go OUTSIDE of the pen and coop.
Good luck. it's tough outside the fence...

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39764 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
emancipate them

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
My neighbor has a bunch of them and they start making a racket about 5am. Today it was 520am.

In any event around 8 it got nice and quiet. I looked over and there were two huge white tailed hawks sitting on the top of the coop.

Posts: 53204 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
quote:
Originally posted by cgode:

I'm just using the standard summer layer pellets, so I would assume it has all the calcium they need. But I try giving them a calcium supplement. As far as gathering them frequently, one of goes out about every hour during the day to check.

I’m using what sounds like the same layer pellets.....not sure what the calcium level is in it but I do collect some oyster shells from the beach and smash them into a powder and sprinkle occasionally....I have no idea if it helps but I have that resource available so why not. Good luck....either cure it or eat the offenders Big Grin

Posts: 3120 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I need to replace our two egg eaters. Since they have been gone, the eggs are back and the other ladies are happier.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men have insurance." JALLEN

Posts: 961 | Location: Shadow of St. Helens | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Freezer camp.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I've got at least one doing the same thing. If I can catch the little b...iddy in the act, it'll be soup. Only cure I know of.

Make the sloped nest their only nest. They'll likely start laying on the floor or elsewhere, but it might work.

A friend always has chickens. He names every one of them "Noodles". Says they all look alike and all taste like chicken.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6318 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Chicken on the grill.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10492 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
We have a dozen hens. On average we also have two broken eggs a day we suspect have been pecked. Im also curious to see if this behavior can be corrected.

Oh wait, a chicken is the dumbest creature in the animal kingdom...perhaps I find offender and make chicken soup. Big Grin

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stlhead:
Freezer camp.

Bwaaaaaahahahahahahahaha! Big Grin

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15250 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mjlennon:
Oh wait, a chicken is the dumbest creature in the animal kingdom..

You haven’t had domesticated, heavy breed, turkeys then, right? Wink

Posts: 882 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have 13 of them. Had one that was eating its own eggs, lucky we caught it early and isolated the chicken. Once isolated, it stopped the behavior. We had to rinse and repeat it a couple times, but it seems GTG now.

Everything we read and looked at, basically said if it spreads to the entire flock, nothing you can do about it. Have to nip it early.

Posts: 761 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xanth:
We have 13 of them. Had one that was eating its own eggs, lucky we caught it early and isolated the chicken. Once isolated, it stopped the behavior. We had to rinse and repeat it a couple times, but it seems GTG now.

Everything we read and looked at, basically said if it spreads to the entire flock, nothing you can do about it. Have to nip it early.

Interesting. Was she in isolation 24x7? For how long?

ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

John has a
long moustashe
Picture of john1
posted Hide Post
Beak trimmer

Posts: 593 | Location: Rural NW Oklahoma | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post