SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Man shares $22 million jackpot with friend, fulfilling 30-year promise
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man shares $22 million jackpot with friend, fulfilling 30-year promise Login/Join 
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Cool. Does bendable actually buy lotto tickets?

Posts: 3386 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Now that is what old school integrity is all about for us old farts! Bravo Zulu Mr Cook! Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16231 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Great story. But...why quit your job immediately? Doesn't it take some time to get paid?

At that age if you can’t live off your savings for quite a while until the lottery check clears you have other problems.

Posts: 3926 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I can't think of anyone I know whose problems would be fixed by a jackpot lotto payout. Sure, it would take care of immediate bills. But if you're past middle age and still barely making ends meet, that's usually caused by bad judgment, which will never improve with a sudden cash windfall.

Posts: 3542 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
You been watching The Millionare? It was a TV series that ran from 1955 to 1960. A mysterious benefactor gives total strangers a check for a million bucks. Over the course of the show, his or her life goes to total shit because of the money. A great morality play!

Posts: 17250 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin
You guys crack me up

I have , on a couple of occasions said that if I hit it big,

This forum will benefit , shortly there after.

(Hit it big = more than enough to live on ,very comfortably for the next 20 years )

Yes I spend $ on the lottery

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54661 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29711 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's the down side to winning tonight's 97 million dollars,
As I see it anyway

I am old enough now that I
wouldn't begin to know who to start trusting with all that money.

After I gave away 59 million of it to friends , family, charitable foundations
municipalities , and
strangers, for seven years,

I'd sit around for the next nine years
wondering who was stealing how much ,from what account.

( Typical Gemini )

Posts: 54661 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Great story. But...why quit your job immediately? Doesn't it take some time to get paid?

no possible way I could stay at work knowing I had won that much money, if you don't have a few months reserve at there ages something else is wrong.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Curious,

Illinois is offering a free power ball lottery ticket if you purchase three.

Is your state doing that also?

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Curious,

Illinois is offering a free power ball lottery ticket if you purchase three.

Is your state doing that also?

Did Illinois start actually paying winners now, or are they still just holding onto winnings?

If they're still not paying out, they ought to give 1000 free with every one bought. Wink

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most people take the cash payout.

The reason for this is if you take the annuity the payout is (usually) over 20 years. If at any time you should die before the 20 years is up, that's it, the payouts end. Your heirs are screwed. That's what I've read anyway.

I don't know how it works if there are several names on the payout, but I would guess it would be reduced by the deceased's share, at a minimum.

Not exactly. You're confusing different types of annuities and how they work.

A "term certain" annuity, in this example 20 years, MUST pay for 20 years. If the original annuitant dies during the payout period, the full payments divert to the beneficiary(s) on the contract.

A "life annuity" does pay only on the life of the annuitant(s). If a Life Only contract, payments stop on death.

However, if it's a "life annuity with guaranteed period", and the annuitant dies during the guaranteed period, payments divert to the designated beneficiary (just for the remainder of the G.P., not for their life). If they die after that period, then all payments simply cease.

I am not sure what types of annuities are generally offered to lottery winners, but those are the basic types of commercial plans.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16368 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.usamega.com/

click on your state to check annuities