SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you think it was a mistake to shut down the economy?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you think it was a mistake to shut down the economy? Login/Join 
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Shutting down the economy was a huge mistake but one that I believe was part of the globalist plan. The amount of control governments of the world gained over their populations over the last two years was both staggering and terrifying. If the population of the USA was united it would have failed here, but sadly fear is a powerful tool.

This is the point I was making earlier in this thread. It was deliberate and covid was just the catalyst to set their agenda in motion. Sadly it has worked.

Jim

They also came out of the bushes in spades w/rampant lunacy (which has been a spectacular series of epic, consecutive failures), and exposed themselves clearly to JQ Public.

The Democrats are aging out to a progressive/Marxist ideology.

Every cloud has a silver lining.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
So given your initial principle that government should have the power in some cases, what would be different next time from what we have?

Reread the last two sentences of my post.

We don't live in a perfect world, obviously.

And by "the government as it currently exists", I'm talking about the government as a whole (as well as the human nature of most governments to constantly be seeking greater power/control), not the Biden administration vs. the Trump administration or some hypothetical subsequent Republican administration.

I understand, but what you posted seems to conflict with itself.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
1. Mistake to shut down? Yes, it was a mistake. If people want to shutter their own business then leave that to them.
2. Should government have the power? No. Government doesn't make better more informed decisions than we do.
3. Any reason to shut down? No.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
The gross overreaction to Covid/Flu was not a mistake.
They knew exactly what they were doing.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
^^^ Ha!

Good point.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste.”

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Not a mistake. It was intentional and arguably criminal.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
By "mistake" I think he means mistake in judgment.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I’d tend to side with arfmel. It was definitely wrong, but I suspect wrong by deliberate evil, not wrong by common stupidity.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I want to say 'That ain't happenin' again.' To me, it's that simple.

If it is attempted again,

- W E
W I L L
N O T
C O M P L Y -

Posts: 7230 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:
The gross overreaction to Covid/Flu was not a mistake.
They knew exactly what they were doing.

I agree. Moving toward the "great reset" and the "New World Order."

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
It will be interesting to see what happens in the next pandemic which I think is inevitable (no idea when, of course). I think 2020 could have played out a lot differently but for whatever reason the 'people in charge' over the course of years (or even decades) decided it wasn't necessary to do anything.

Posts: 4075 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I get that some knew what they were doing. But how does President Trump play into it? How could he have been duped?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Huge mistake shutting down the country.

Not real sure about the government having that kind of power but at the time, they probably thought they were doing a good thing. I was going to say the government should not have that power barring a national emergency but at first, that's probably what they thought.

I emailed Heir DeWine and begged him not to shut down. I knew what was going to happen. I had a bunch of orders going out the week of St. Patrick's Day and they disappeared. I had 42 employees and went down to 7. No more 2nd shift. I got my PPP loan and brought back 40 employees later in 2020 so I met the criteria to not have to pay the loan back. It helped immensely.

I don't think the state or federal government would try a lock down again. Never know though.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
R J Hanlon was wrong.

Or worse, he was *one of them*.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Maybe in the first couple of weeks, a month at the outside, when we didn't know if this was going to be a "Stephen King's 'The Stand'" event, some of the measures might have been OK. After that, all of it was a mistake. The business shutdowns (mine, at least, was considered "essential"), the quarantines, the useless masks and vaccines forced upon us, all the while ignored or flouted by governors like Newsom and Whitmer when it personally suited them, all of it.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Huge mistake on the part of citizens actually allowing it versus mass disobedience.

Government should under no circumstances should ever have that power, including selecting what businesses may operate and which must close.

ALL businesses are essential businesses.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you think it was a mistake to shut down the economy?

No it wasn't a mistake. As stated above by several, which I totally agree with, it was deliberate and criminal.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I get that some knew what they were doing. But how does President Trump play into it? How could he have been duped?

Fear. Trump's a ballsy, assertive guy, but he loves America and loves Americans. Threaten him with millions of otherwise healthy folks dropping dead and he is likely to play along. It's clear his first instinct was business as usual...the political pukes convinced him there would be widespread death and voters would punish whoever happened to be in charge.

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
The Amish didn't shut down. Their casualty rate was the same as anywhere else, but they got it over with very quickly and got back to normal life. This alone is proof that all of the government actions were useless in controlling the pandemic. Thus the only outcomes of government action have been disasters.

Posts: 9399 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Does a bear shit in the woods?

Exactly what I thought when I read the title.
They’ve destroyed and continue to destroy so many small businesses. It’s heartbreaking.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post