SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Edited some questions about dually’s, Ford super duty owners, has anybody gone from the 6.7 power stroke to a 7.3?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Edited some questions about dually’s, Ford super duty owners, has anybody gone from the 6.7 power stroke to a 7.3? Login/Join 
in the end karma
always catches up
posted
The wife and I are looking at moving from a travel trailer to a fifth wheel. I currently have a 16’ F250 with the 6.7. Our current trailer weighs about 10k-12k loaded. I have never needed more power and really like the diesel. I am just not sure I want to pay the $10k diesel surcharge or the added maintenance costs. I go out west once a year and probably 4-5 camping trips around the midwest a year. Looking for some thoughts?

Thanks for the input pretty sure I’ll go with the 7.3. I have two other questions, I really don’t want a dually but we had an incident on I70 with a wind gust. I am not a neophyte trailer hauler but I don’t have 100,000k miles either. I did have a CDL with hazmat tandems and triples endorsement but never worked as a truck driver.

We were about 30 miles East of Indianapolis when a storm front rolled through, I had slowed to about 35-40 mph when a wind gust hit us broadside. It blew the trailer into the next lane dragging the ass of the truck with it. Scared the crap out of me. Would a dually have prevented that or lessened it? I really don’t want a dusky because of the inconvenience of them (size) but this vehicle is primarily used to tow (about 30-40% of the mileage).

Whats the downside to size and tires to owning a dually?

Thanks
Ed

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Valpo Fz,

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3721 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was a great engine, arguably the best of the Powerstrokes, but Ford hasn't made the 7.3 for more than 20 years.

Posts: 2530 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
^^^ I think he's talking about the new(er) 7.3 gasser.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15837 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, it's very confusing, because he's talking about not wanting to pay a "diesel surcharge" but appears to already have one.

Posts: 2530 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would stick with the 6.7 diesel. It is a super engine, with great torque. If you are towing, the torque allows the driver to relax and just drive. With a gas engine, there are lots of speed and automatic gear changes just to keep the speed up.

-c1steve

Posts: 4117 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Just a thought: Keep the truck you have?

I tow a 38’ 5th wheel toy hauler with my 2015 SRW F350 and the 6.7. The difference between my truck and yours is mine has 4” spacers between the rear axle and leaf springs, there’s an extra leaf in the spring pack that engages some pads bolted to the frame under load, and the tires may be different. The 275/65R20 or 275/70R18 tires at 80psi will give you over the 7,200 rear axle rating.

quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
Well, it's very confusing, because he's talking about not wanting to pay a "diesel surcharge" but appears to already have one.

I think he’s thinking about buying a new truck as well as a new trailer. Even with the 7.3 gas motor, the 2017 and newer Fords offer higher towing abilities than the truck he has.

Posts: 11544 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
We are trying to sell a GMC 3500 6.6 Diesel dually to replace it with a 7.3 Godzilla. We don't tow enough, nor use the diesel often enough for it to stay reliable.

DEF fluid goes bad, NOS sensors go bad. Thing is a pain in the ass. Yes, it pulls like the hand of God, but we don't really need it. Gross on our trailer is 14.5k. Godzilla in an F250/350 easily covers us for the 5-8 times per year that we need it, and the maintenance and upkeep is significantly less.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12910 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I would love to get the Godzilla. Would be my choice. But at close to $100k I doubt I would ever get one. If you have the $ I would do it. A 16' with the powerstroke should be a great unit and you know what you got and what it takes to maintain it.
So no I would not go in to debt to do it. Fwiw

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19674 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I recently looked at the 7.3 with the 4.10 rear-end. Our local Ford dealership was so rude and condescending I bought a GMC gasser.

That being said, a friend of mine traded in his 6.7 for the 7.3 for the same reasons you mentioned (and why I didn't get a diesel). He loves his 7.3.

Posts: 12571 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
The trailers we are looking at hitch weights between 2800-3200 lbs my cargo carrying capacity is 2300. We looked at a 23’ 350 with the 7.3 gas that was rated at 4300lbs.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3721 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
It was a great engine, arguably the best of the Powerstrokes, but Ford hasn't made the 7.3 for more than 20 years.

Ford never made the 7.3L Power Stroke. International Truck did, in Indianapolis.

Posts: 4908 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wrote a previous post on this but don't see it, so if this is a double sorry. Slightly shorter this time. The current ford gas engines will be absolutely fine with the trailer weights you are discussing. I have 3 superduties and tow horses in trailers that are heavier than your plan and have no issues with the gas motors (after like 3 decades with the diesels). Get the 4.30 rear end on either gas motor.
The 7.3 comes with a price and some configuration restrictions, but if those are not barriers it would be the motor I would buy. You get more towing with it, but that is way above what you are planning.
You simply do not want a modern emissions diesel. You are underwater on cost the whole life of the truck.
Check the ford towing guide with your trailer and IMO if its legal for Ford you will be happy on the road.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11149 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input pretty sure I’ll go with the 7.3. I have two other questions, I really don’t want a dually but we had an incident on I70 with a wind gust. I am not a neophyte trailer hauler but I don’t have 100,000k miles either. I did have a CDL with hazmat tandems and triples endorsement but never worked as a truck driver.

We were about 30 miles East of Indianapolis when a storm front rolled through, I had slowed to about 35-40 mph when a wind gust hit us broadside. It blew the trailer into the next lane dragging the ass of the truck with it. Scared the crap out of me. Would a dually have prevented that or lessened it? I really don’t want a dusky because of the inconvenience of them (size) but this vehicle is primarily used to tow (about 30-40% of the mileage).

Whats the downside to size and tires to owning a dually?

Thanks
Ed

YAT-YAS

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Just switching to a 5th wheel will help with side winds. One, the hitch point is right over the truck’s axle not 3'-4’ behind the axle. Two, in relation to the trailer itself, the hitch point isn’t 3’ in front of the trailer, but rather 3’ of the trailer hangs beyond the hitch point. Both of these factors reduce the amount of leverage a crosswind against the trailer will have on your truck.

The main downside of a dually size wise is parking. Assuming your truck is a long bed, crew cab, then you already know this lengthwise. If not, then be prepared because the dually will be longer and wider than your current truck.

Posts: 11544 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I had a 04 250 crew cab long bed, my lord was that thing LONG! We are looking at the 6 3/4 bed. Would a long bed SRW make much difference?

YAT-YAS

As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
^^^
In my humble opinion having driven heavy duty pick ups for over 30 years and towing most of that time with a goose neck trailer YES the length (I.e. the wheelbase) does make a huge difference. The 8 ft bed will make towing much easier. Plus you won’t have to worry as much about jackknifing the truck when you back up. I know there are some gadgets that help but…

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6461 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Ford’s dually will have an 8’ bed. You can get a regular cab with XL or XLT trims, the higher trims require a Supercab or crew cab.

Towing wise, I’ve heard the longer wheelbase is better but don’t have any direct experience. I will say in the in the 170,000 miles and 8 years I’ve owned my truck I have not once wished I had a short bed. I haven’t wished for a dually either towing the 10,000lb travel trailer, the 14,500lb 5th wheel, or the 10,000lb boat. I have wished for a tighter turning radius, but that means an F450.

in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by trapper189:
Ford’s dually will have an 8’ bed. You can get a regular cab with XL or XLT trims, the higher trims require a Supercab or crew cab.

Towing wise, I’ve heard the longer wheelbase is better but don’t have any direct experience. I will say in the in the 170,000 miles and 8 years I’ve owned my truck I have not once wished I had a short bed. I haven’t wished for a dually either towing the 10,000lb travel trailer, the 14,500lb 5th wheel, or the 10,000lb boat. I have wished for a tighter turning radius, but that means an F450.[/QUOTE

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Valpo Fz,

YAT-YAS

posted Hide Post
My tow and ranch rig is a 2020 f350 SRW crew with a 9' aluminum flatbed. I wanted a regular cab but my fleet salesman talked me into a crew instead. It does tow a lot nicer and offers some dry load options that I would have missed out on with the regular cab. Parking in town is a chore. The 6.7 works well for me, but they do get you for it up front. If the truck is just for towing and hauling loads and not a daily driver the flat bed option works, but driving the truck empty is not fun. I have a gas F350 DRW with 12' stakeside and tommy at the office that is used for deliveries and no towing, Parking is no worse than my farm truck other than visibility, it won't fit in a parking garage either. I think the 10 speed tranny in the fords is a more important feature to have, not even sure if they still offer the old one so that may be moot.

Posts: 1832 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
They only offer the 10 speed now.

YAT-YAS