Go ![]() | New ![]() | Find ![]() | Notify ![]() | Tools ![]() | Reply ![]() | |
| Team Apathy |
I enjoy making new dishes for the family to try, and I enjoy modifying current recipes I have and seeing how they evolve. I thought it might be fun to try some of your most used (but not necessarily your favorite). To get it started, the most used recipe in my house is a basic pancake. - 1 C all-purpose flour - 2 tbsp coconut sugar - 1.5 tsp baking powder - 0.5 tsp baking soda - .5 tsp salt - dash of vanilla extract or paste - 1 C milk - 1 large egg - 2 tbsp melted butter (or sometimes avo oil) combine dry ingredients and wet ingredients in separate bowls, then fold them together, let stand 10 minutes, cook on griddle about 375 degrees. It is quick and easy and everybody loves them. We can toss in some diced fresh or dehydrated fruit, chocolate chips, or maybe some cinnamon. Sometimes I'll layer some peanut butter between 2 layers of the batter. They always are a hit in any rendition, and we use it probably once a week at least. A double batch is good for my family of 5, though I often don't eat breakfast. Whatcha got? | ||
|
McNoob![]() |
I use this beef seasoning on pretty much every piece of beef I cook. 1/4 Cup: Kosker Salt Coarse Pepper Cattlemen's Cowboy Cattlemen's Smokehouse 1 TableSpoon: Onion Powder Garlic Powder Mustard Powder Paprika Lawry's 1 Teaspoon: Chili Powder Burgers I mix ground beef with my seasoning and soy paste. Fried Tacos on a flat top griddle 2lbs ground beef 1lbs ground pork 1 tube Beef Chorizo [Cacique] 1-2 green bell peppers 1-2 red bell peppers 1 large white onion 1 10oz. Ro Tel diced tomatoes & green chilies Taco seasoning Taco sauce, I like Ortega Medium Salt and Pepper 6" corn tortillas Optional: 1-3 Jalapenos (leave insides/seeds as you like) Taco Ranch Sauce Fixings: 1 tomato diced Shredded lettuce Shredded cheese Some of the diced white onion Cook peppers and onions, use a steam cover, add water periodically. Once they soften move to lower heat. Place beef/pork/chorizo on the hottest part of the grill. Flip/mix/chop about every 2-3 minutes. Flattening it out over a wide area to cook all sides. Add seasoning Once the meat is mixed well and no raw meat is visible, mix in the drained Ro Tel, steamed veggies, and some taco sauce. Flip/mix/chop. Add more seasoning to taste. Once the meat starts to brown move the meat to lower heat, turn as needed so the bottom doesn't burn. Add some oil to the flat top and put your tortillas down and coat both sides in oil, a sprayer works good if you have one. Flip when one side has browned. Add shredded cheese and taco ranch. When cheese is melted add the meat. Fold tortilla in half, press down lightly as needed. Serve when crispy, add fixings. Pancakes - I use this recipe. Key Lime Pie - Very east to make it's so good. "We've done four already, but now we're steady..." | |||
|
Drill Here, Drill Now![]() |
I have a garlic intolerance so I make nearly all of my spice blends and rubs. My favorite rib rub is delicious on all forms of pork so I find myself making that recipe the most. There is a caveat though, the author of the recipe is a proponent of dry brining with salt (e.g. 1/2 tsp per pound of boneless pork and 1/4 tsp per pound of bone-in pork) first then using a salt-free rub. Therefore the Memphis style rib rub recipe is salt free (and garlic free in my version) as the author assumes people are dry brining their pork. Preferably, I dry brine a few hours in advance but quite often I'm applying the salt seconds in advance of the rib rub. Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer. | |||
|
| Staring back from the abyss |
I'd have to say pizza. I make it at least once a week. Although this week it'll be three. I'm sticking with a seafood theme. Tonight is clam with white sauce, then shrimp scampi (one of my favorites), then I'm going to try that halibut one that someone mentioned in the Alaska thread. I may try a bay scallop one as well. Haven't decided on that yet. ________________________________________________________ It is long past time for a Convention of States. The Founding Fathers gave us this tool to fix an out of control government and we need to use it. | |||
|
| Member |
For me, one of the joys of cooking is to hear "that's really good" or something to that effect. When that statement comes from my wife, I am especially happy. The latest dish to earn that response is grilled skirt steak with board sauce. There isn't anything special about the steak, a basic rub and grilled to medium rare. The board sauce is the deal, basically a chimichurri. One prepares the board sauce on the cutting board and allows the grilled steak to rest on top. The steak is sliced and served with the desired amount of board sauce. Ingredients 1 lemon 1 bunch of fresh parsley 1 bunch of fresh cilantro 1 pack of fresh oregano 1 shallot ¼ tsp red pepper flakes Salt (to taste) 1 ½ tbsp Cumin ½ tsp Coriander 2 tbsp Red wine vinegar 2-3 tbsp EVOO 6 cloves of garlic How to Make Board Sauce 1. Marinate the garlic and shallot. After chopping the garlic and shallot, toss them with the red wine vinegar and lemon juice in a small bowl and let them meld together for about 10 minutes. I usually do this step first while I clean the herbs and get out the food processor. The lemon juice and vinegar work to mellow some of the sharpness of the garlic and onions. 2. Chop the herbs. Finely chop fresh parsley, fresh cilantro and fresh oregano on cutting board. Add salt, cumin, and coriander. 3. Add red pepper flakes and vinegar. Sprinkle in 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more or less to taste) and add garlic, lemon juice, shallot mix. Mix everything together with the flat side of a scraper. 4. Drizzle with olive oil. Pour over 3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil and mix to combine. Let the grilled steak rest on sauce for a few minutes. 5. Slice the steak on top. Slice your grilled steak directly over the board sauce. Drag the steak through the sauce and serve right from the board. Let me help you out. Which way did you come in? | |||
|
| Member |
Banana Pancakes (name I made up, not sure if theres another name for them) Very simple 2 Eggs 1 Banana 1 tbs of oats Crush up the banana in a bowl, add the eggs and oats and mix up well. I spoon mine into a skillet making 3 small "cakes" as it controls the size and makes them easy enough to flip. I've used butter or a dollop of coconut oil to keep them from sticking. (the coconut oil imparts a really nice flavor if you like that flavor) I use maple syrup on mine. I'll admit this doesn't sound all that good. But they are excellent. | |||
|
Truth Seeker![]() |
I would say what I probably make the most is a whole chicken that I spatchcock, season, and bake or grill. Basically $9 for a fantastic full chicken and is easy. I love making other things but they take more time so this is something I do at least weekly. So it is what I make most. Just did one today…lol. NRA Benefactor Life Member | |||
|
| Powered by Social Strata |
| Please Wait. Your request is being processed... |
|

