SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Astronomy fans are about to witness a once-in-a-lifetime event that occurred 3000 years ago
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Astronomy fans are about to witness a once-in-a-lifetime event that occurred 3000 years ago Login/Join 
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
though based on the best theories, is actually not infinite.
If it is not infinite, what is outside of it? That question has always made my head hurt.

Watch the last 5 seconds of the original Men In Black!

Posts: 4842 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16956 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
An article I just read stated it is normally invisible to the naked eye and will go to magnitude +2, which is about the brightness of Polaris, the North Star.
So, nothing very spectacular.

I can see people who are into astronomy going nuts over this but doesn't seem like its something worth bothering to see otherwise.

Because it's a once in a lifetime event.
Life is full of wonder. One should savor every opportunity nature offers.
And drink in all of it's wonders.

You will see the companion star going +2 magnitude.
Which is hidden by it's red giant neighbor.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39874 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Yeah, this is a rare one for your observing log book.
If I were a proper amateur, I'd have an organized one.
This is one of those things you only see artists renditions of (dwarf feeding on companion) but now you can witness the result. And W/o a telescope.

Posts: 7490 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post