SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Astronomy fans are about to witness a once-in-a-lifetime event that occurred 3000 years ago
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Astronomy fans are about to witness a once-in-a-lifetime event that occurred 3000 years ago Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
Yes, that is correct. What you will witness happened 3000 years ago. You will only see it now because it took light of the event 3000 years to reach Earth.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/nas...r-5-things-need-know

By Chris Eberhart | Fox News
Published June 19, 2024 4:00am EDT

An impending nova event will be so bright that people on Earth will be able to see the burst of light with the naked eye, NASA scientists said.

There's an Earth-sized remnant of a dead star with a mass comparable to the sun on a star about 3,000 light years from Earth that's expected to explode at some point this summer, according to NASA.

The exact date when that will happen is unknown, although NASA continues to track it.

The spectacular explosion is "a once-in-a-lifetime event," NASA's nova expert Rebekah Hounsell said, "that will create a lot of new astronomers out there, giving young people a cosmic event they can observe for themselves, ask their own questions, and collect their own data."

Hounsell is an assistant research scientist specializing in nova events at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland.

She put this summer's event on the "Blaze Star" into historical perspective.

"There are a few recurrent novae with very short cycles, but typically, we don’t often see a repeated outburst in a human lifetime, and rarely one so relatively close to our own system," she said in a statement.

"It’s incredibly exciting to have this front-row seat."

This is a nova event, which Hounsell explained is different from a supernova, which is a "final, titanic explosion" that destroys dying stars, NASA said in a press release.

In this particular event, the dwarf star will remain intact, but "accumulated material" will be blasted into the abyss of space in a "blinding flash," according to NASA, which explains that this cycle repeats over time and can carry on for tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of years.

Here are NASA's three tips for American stargazers

1. The burst of light will be "brief," according to NASA, but it's expected to be visible to the naked eye for a little less than a week.

2. Expect the unexpected. The exact timing of the nova is unknown, as of mid-June.

"Recurrent novae are unpredictable and contrarian," said Koji Mukai, another astrophysicist at NASA Goddad. When scientists think they nailed down a set pattern, novae can "deviate from it completely."

"We'll see how T CrB (scientific name for ‘Blaze Star’) behaves," he said.

3. Finding where to look could be tricky.

NASA suggested first locating the Northern Crown, a horseshoe-shaped curve of stars west of the Hercules constellation (included in an illustration below), as the starting point.

The two brightest stars in the Northern Hemisphere (Arcturus and Vega) create a straight line from one to the other, which will lead stargazers to the Hercules constellation and Corona Borealis, where the burst of light will be most visible.

"Look up after sunset during summer months to find Hercules, then scan between Vega and Arcturus, where the distinct pattern of Corona Borealis may be identified," NASA said.

Here are two facts about the history of the 'Blaze Star'

1. The first recorded sighting of a "Blaze Star" nova was in the fall of 1217, when a German scientist noted a "faint star that for a time shone with great light," according to NASA.

2. Fast-forward to 1946, which was the last time the "Blaze Star" nova was seen from Earth, NASA said.

To put it in perspective, that was two years before the Frisbee, the jukebox and Velcro were invented.

Technology today, coupled with the star's proximity to Earth, will give scientists an unprecedented insight.

Elizabeth Hays, chief of the Astroparticle Physics Laboratory at NASA Goddard, said scientists will observe the event "at its peak and through its decline, as the visible energy of the outburst fades."

"It’s equally critical to obtain data during the early rise to eruption – so the data collected by those avid citizen scientists on the lookout now for the nova will contribute dramatically to our findings," Hays said in a statement.

Q

Posts: 27602 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Yes, that is correct. What you will witness happened 3000 years ago. You will only see it now because it took light of the event 3000 years to reach Earth.

From the article:

There's an Earth-sized remnant of a dead star with a mass comparable to the sun on a star about 3,000 light years from Earth that's expected to explode at some point this summer, according to NASA.

I read the article this morning and also noted the error. Your title and interpretation are correct. The explosion happened a long time ago.

Posts: 9029 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Has anyone seen predictions of the apparent magnitude of the expected nova?

Probably not. "Recurrent novae are unpredictable and contrarian," said Koji Mukai…

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9466 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Has anyone seen predictions of the apparent magnitude of the expected nova?
If it is anything like the Blaze Starr I remember, about a 42DD, I think.

Posts: 6789 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
42DD? Impressive. Where did Blaze Starr do her act?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9466 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
So this nova event occurs about once a century rather than once every three millennia?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18094 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
^^^^^^
42DD? Impressive. Where did Blaze Starr do her act?

I remember seeing her in the tabloids in the early 60's.
I was just a kid then so I didn't actually see her act.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16644 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 12131:

3. Finding where to look could be tricky.

NASA suggested first locating the Northern Crown, a horseshoe-shaped curve of stars west of the Hercules constellation (included in an illustration below), as the starting point.

The two brightest stars in the Northern Hemisphere (Arcturus and Vega) create a straight line from one to the other, which will lead stargazers to the Hercules constellation and Corona Borealis, where the burst of light will be most visible.

"Look up after sunset during summer months to find Hercules, then scan between Vega and Arcturus, where the distinct pattern of Corona Borealis may be identified," NASA said.

Or, as Sheriff Andy Taylor would say, "Just go by my house and pick up Opey. He can show you how to get there...."" Wink

Posts: 1664 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
Blaze Starr lived about 3 miles from me growing up. After she stopped "performing", she sold homemade jewelry at a mall near where I live now.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1735 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
So this nova event occurs about once a century rather than once every three millennia?

The every 100 years is the once in a lifetime part. That it’s 3,000 light years away is why they say what we will see happened 3,000 years ago. Because it is reoccurring is how they know we will see it.

Posts: 11696 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How impressive will this event be if it's going to be tricky to find? Will it be as bright as Venus or Sirius in the night sky or will it look just a little bit brighter than other stars on any given night? Seems some of these celestial events get hyped and turn out to be duds.

Posts: 1724 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
An article I just read stated it is normally invisible to the naked eye and will go to magnitude +2, which is about the brightness of Polaris, the North Star.
So, nothing very spectacular.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16644 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea that it happened 3,000 years ago. The light of that event hasn't reached the earth yet. So how did they know this happened 3,000 years ago and just now, we're about to see it???

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20075 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
It's 3000 light years away, but it is a "periodic" nova event.

The smaller dwarf takes on matter from the larger star, and every 80 years it "lights off" and goes nova for about a week.

It has been recorded about 9 times over the past 800 years, so it's sort of like "Old Faithful".

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44493 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea that it happened 3,000 years ago. The light of that event hasn't reached the earth yet. So how did they know this happened 3,000 years ago and just now, we're about to see it???

Maybe because the light is shifting increasingly blue would be my guess, versus shifting red for most of the rest of the objects we have so far located in the teeny tiny part of the universe that is still observable to us. But that's just my uneducated guess. BTW the observable universe to us, based on calculations, is a very small portion of the actual universe that must exist based on current knowledge, and I mean by a lot. As in gobs, and for all practical purposes if one could imagine the sale, infinite, though based on the best theories, is actually not infinite. The scales are mind blowing. After so many zeroes of powers, the scales become academic, to us at least. Read up on light wavelength shifting and how they calculate the "size" of the universe for lack of a better term. Pretty interesting stuff.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8931 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^
There’s no significant red or blue shift for stars within our own galaxy (as the "Blaze Star" nova is), so Doppler shifts aren’t the explanation.

trapper189’s post, a few above, is a correct, clear, and concise explanation.

Serious about crackers

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
though based on the best theories, is actually not infinite.
If it is not infinite, what is outside of it? That question has always made my head hurt.

Posts: 20600 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
quote:

BTW the observable universe to us, based on calculations, is a very small portion of the actual universe that must exist based on current knowledge, and I mean by a lot.

This part I can actually understand. We know the universe is expanding. And it takes time for the light from the edge of the universe to arrive on the earth. But the light from the edge of the universe that we're seeing now started from the edge of the universe some time ago and the edge of the universe is no longer there since it has expanded away. So the actual universe is already farther out than what we currently see.

I think I also understand how scientists know it's going to happen. As Sigmonkey pointed out, it's a "periodic" event. It's also in the OP. It was first sighted in 1217. Then the last time it was seen was 1946.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20075 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
An article I just read stated it is normally invisible to the naked eye and will go to magnitude +2, which is about the brightness of Polaris, the North Star.
So, nothing very spectacular.

I can see people who are into astronomy going nuts over this but doesn't seem like its something worth bothering to see otherwise.

Posts: 1724 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:

There are some YouTube videos on all this, including how to find the exact location. Iirc, the brightness has quickly dimmed substantially in a particular pattern, which signals a specific process is underway. They know the timeline is measured in a few months, so the window is from now until September-ish for it to go nova.

Posts: 9752 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post