SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "are you, or have you ever been, an 'orthodox Catholic?'"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"are you, or have you ever been, an 'orthodox Catholic?'" Login/Join 
Picture of cne32507
posted
The Dems are showing their bias towards Catholics again. The Senate judicial panel was grilling Amy Barrett, a Notre Dame professor and another Catholic candidate for federal judgeships a few days ago. Thought they would have learned from the leaked emails.

From the WSJ article Democrats and Dogma :
Proving Mr. Rivkin’s point. Sen. Dick Durbin jumped in to demand of Ms. Barrett: “Do you consider yourself an orthodox Catholic?” Does Mr. Durbin understand that he sounds like the Southern Baptist ministers in 1960 who thought Jack Kennedy shouldn’t be President because he’d take orders from the pope?

‘Why is it that so many of us on this side have this very uncomfortable feeling that—you know, dogma and law are two different things. And I think whatever a religion is, it has its own dogma. The law is totally different. And I think in your case, professor, when you read your speeches, the conclusion one draws is that the dogma lives loudly within you, and that’s of concern when you come to big issues that large numbers of people have fought for years in this country.” Thus did California Sen. Dianne Feinstein pronounce on Wednesday that, by virtue of being a faithful Catholic, Amy Barrett, a respected law professor at Notre Dame, may have excluded herself from a federal judgeship.

They want her to say she supports "Roe" and LGBTQ "rights", but she cannot say how she would rule in future cases. Our Constitution prohibits a religious test for public offices, but that didn't stop them from pushing.

In the old paper they are waving around, she had reached the conclusion (decades ago) that a judge should recuse herself if her religious beliefs would influence a ruling. But the Dems wouldn't acknowledge that a judge could be that open-minded. That in itself says a lot about what libs would do if they were the judge.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Nominee’s Religious Faith Dominates Senate Judicial Confirmation Hearing

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...750010034#2750010034

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24148 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Does Durbin even realize what "orthodox Catholic" means? Because it doesn't mean what he thinks it does.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never heard that term before. Guess he confuses Jews with Catholics. What an idiot!

Posts: 17252 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
U. S. Constitution Article VI, Clause 3:

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the members of the several state legislatures, and all executive and judicial officers, both of the United States and of the several states, shall be bound by oath or affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.

I think this should settle the matter.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2705 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Liberalism is not about any particular ideology. It is about TEARING DOWN any existing or traditional ideology to leave the people with nothing to cling to except the power of the State and the "elites" that wield that power....for the good of the people, of course.

This is why religion is such a threat. Nothing can be allowed to be "higher" in moral authority than the State.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I have never heard that term before. Guess he confuses Jews with Catholics. What an idiot!

Jewish Feinstein doesn't, but she trips up over Catholic "dogma."

As I pointed out in the other thread, the Supreme Court has 5 Roman Catholics, 3 Jews and an Episcopalian.

All this is merely cover. What they are really fearing is anyone who might tamper with Roe v. Wade. Any candidate for the Federal judiciary who has expressed the slightest hint of a possible sympathy for modifying or overrulng Roe v. Wade will draw implacable opposition.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I mostly know "E & C Catholics" Big Grin

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Wa-a-y-yy back, a long time ago, there was a President of the United States who was a Democrat...

Posts: 13289 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Durbin is catholic and what if he or Feinstein asked a Muslim if they subscribe to the violent passages in the Koran, never would happen. The left hates Christians,and it's perfectly acceptable.

Posts: 2778 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Well-crafted rebuttal from the president Of Princeton, a liberal:

Liberal Scholar Decries Questioning Nominees about their Religion

Posts: 18087 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I've heard of Orthodox Christians (I.E. Russian Orthodox), I have never heard of Orthodox Catholic.

What would happen if this was a private business interviewing candidates for a job. Wouldn't pointed questions about an individual's religion create the perception of discrimination?

I believe that Jallen's comment is an astute observation and probably right on the money.

Posts: 4592 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Ya, I'm Ukrainian Orthodox Catholic, but I mostly go to Roman Catholic Mass.

Nothing, really different. I supposes she doesn't know what Orthodox is.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
U. S. Constitution Article VI, Clause 3:

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the members of the several state legislatures, and all executive and judicial officers, both of the United States and of the several states, shall be bound by oath or affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.

I think this should settle the matter.

It should settle the matter, but unfortunately it will not. Idiots like Durbin will continue to spout the BS to disqualify any candidates submitted by the Trump admin.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
While I've heard of Orthodox Christians (I.E. Russian Orthodox), I have never heard of Orthodox Catholic.

The official name for that religion is the Orthodox Catholic Church...

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'd like to decorate the trees of this nation with Leftists.

Posts: 107664 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:

The official name for that religion is the Orthodox Catholic Church...

Thank You. I did not know that, I hope the phrase I used is not considered an insult. If it is, I apologize if I insulted anyone.

Posts: 4592 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I'd like to decorate the trees of this nation with Leftists.

Nailed or hung?

Personally, I prefer nailed.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17467 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Howie Carr again.....

quote:
By now it’s hardly a surprise that so many national Democrats have nothing but contempt for Roman Catholics. But what is surprising is that they no longer even bother to hide their distaste for devout Christians.

Last week, at a Senate confirmation hearing for a Roman Catholic woman up for an federal appellate court judgeship in Indiana, Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) told the Catholic nominee this: “When you read your speeches, the conclusion one draws is that the dogma lives loudly within you, and that’s of concern when you come to big issues that large numbers of people have fought for, for years in this country.”

Three words: abortion, abortion, abortion.

Is it even remotely possible that Feinstein would have asked, say, a Muslim, if he believed any of the more militant, shall we say, passages in the Koran?

Of course not. Any Democrat who questions the Religion of Peace would be drummed out of the party and forever shunned in polite society. But Catholics — hey, anything goes.

But Democrats have always had an obsession about Catholics. They were the party of the Ku Klux Klan, Jim Crow and separate but equal. As late as 2010, a former exalted cyclops of the Klan was a ranking Democratic member of the Senate. Hillary Clinton proudly described Catholic-hating bigot Robert Byrd as her “mentor.”

But go back further. FDR, the Democratic president who presided over sending tens of thousands of Japanese-Americans to internment camps during World War II, put Hugo Black on the Supreme Court.

Black, an Alabama Democrat, had been elected to the U.S. Senate in 1926 after delivering a series of 146 rabidly anti-Catholic speeches to his fellow Klansmen across the state.

The more things change ...

As appalling as Feinstein’s bigotry was, Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) may have been even worse, if only because he claims to be a Catholic. Durbin asked this question of his fellow Catholic, Amy Coney Barrett, a Notre Dame law professor: “Do you consider yourself an ‘orthodox Catholic’?”

Sounds like something out of the early 1950s: “Are you now, or have you ever been … ?”

Durbin, a shameless machine hack, is the No. 2 Democrat in the U.S. Senate. The only group he despises more than Catholics is the American military, whom in 2005 he compared on the floor of the Senate to “Nazis, Soviets in their gulags or some mad regime, Pol Pot or others, that had no concern for human beings.”

Speaking of Pol Pot, at this same Senate hearing last week another Democrat brain surgeon named Al Franken decided to get in on the cross burning. He mentioned a speech Barrett made to the Alliance Defending Freedom, a group that defends religious liberty for Christians. Naturally, Franken called it a “hate group” and compared those Christians to ... Pol Pot.

This hate speech at Professor Barrett’s confirmation hearing is probably the greatest outburst of anti-Catholicism among Democrats since ... October 2016. Just 11 months ago, Wiki­Leaks released a batch of emails among Hillary’s top campaign aides.

In them, they sneered that devout Catholics are “severely backwards.” They ridiculed media executives who had converted, and mocked parents who sent their children to Catholic schools. As for Catholic Hispanics — the Clintons described them as “needy Latinos.”

Shortly afterward, both Hillary and Donald Trump appeared together at the New York Archdiocese’s annual Al Smith dinner, named after the first Catholic nominee for president, against whom millions of pre-Feinstein Democrats voted because he was a ... well, you know.

Those emails showcased such appalling bigotry that Trump mentioned how incongruous it was for Hillary to appear before people she sneeringly called “deplorables” and “irredeemables.”

“Here she is tonight, in public,” Trump said, “pretending not to hate Catholics.”

Pretending is right. Same with the rest of them. But much to the chagrin of the modern Democratic party, Catholics are protected by the Constitution.

In September 1960, then-U.S. Sen. John F. Kennedy spoke to a group of Protestant ministers in Houston.

“Today, I may be the victim, but tomorrow it may be you,” he said. “While this year it may be a Catholic against whom the finger of suspicion is pointed, in other years it has been, and may someday be again, a Jew — or a Quaker or a Unitarian or a Baptist.”

Sadly, today’s national Democrats don’t care how prescient JFK was. He was, after all, an orthodox Catholic

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Any candidate for the Federal judiciary who has expressed the slightest hint of a possible sympathy for modifying or overrulng Roe v. Wade will draw implacable opposition.

As contrasted by the convivial welcome provided other Trump judicial nominees? Wink

They have already decided to sputter and fume, just not which excuse to use for the sound and fury. If they had any functional synapses, they might pick excuses that didn't insult a good chunk of the electorate. Good thing there's no sign of that.

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post