SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thinking of trading in my truck
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of trading in my truck Login/Join 
Picture of Pyker
posted
I have a 2011 Ram 1500 Bighorn short box with the 5.7 Hemi. It has 98K for miles and is in good condition for a MN truck.

I have just noticed some rust bubbling on one rear wheel arch. Apparently to repair this requires removal of the box side and replacement, repainting etc etc. It's no longer a case of cutting out the rust, welding in new metal and paint. The repair costs are now in the thousands, rather than 100s of dollars.

Carvana (I know, I know) Have offered me $14600 as trade in value.

I really like my truck, but I'm thinking of trading it sooner, rather than later given that the rust isn't going to get any better after another winter. I'm not enamoured of the idea of having a loan, since I'm debt free at the moment, but with excellent credit a 20-25k loan on a 2018-19 low miles truck shouldn't be too horrible.

What do you guys think?

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
No.

It may be cheaper to buy another truck bed and swap it out yourself.

If you are wanting an excuse to get another truck, that changes things considerably.

Remember what it was like to make payments? Are there any options on the newer truck that are better than making said payments?

FWIW, said from a guy who has never made a car payment, they might not be that bad after all.

Posts: 9171 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You need to check out dealer prices, 2018, 2019 trucks are still crazy high dollar. Your truck sounds perfect for a high school/college kid, maybe sell it yourself?? Check out Kelley Blue and NADA books for current pricing.

Posts: 281 | Location: Outside St. Louis | Registered: June 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I guess it would depend on how much driving you expect to be doing now that you are retired and getting old and if a rust spot is sufficient justification for a 20-25K loan.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2094 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
My brother just bought a new Ram. His salesman asked him to guess how many used trucks he has now to sell. The answer was “1.” This is at Woodhouse, a mega-dealer in the Omaha area, not a small town new car dealer. If you’re thinking of selling your truck and finding a good, relatively low miles used one—Good Luck!

Posts: 13303 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
The next truck I buy will be my last. As for putting a new bed/box on, maybe 20 years ago, but I have neither the space or the equipment available. It would still need painting in any event.

I have my eye on a 2019 RAM with 23k miles that is listed at $37,000.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
You are only 1/3 into the life of the drivetrain.

Drive it until you can't stand to look at the rust and then replace the box/components.
(pay the man, still less cost all around)

Put the amount you would be financing in an investment and when you are really tired of that truck, you can buy the best deal that comes your way in a Minnesota Minute...

But you want to get the protection.

"Yah, but I'm sayin', that TruCoat, you don't get it and you get oxidation problems..."

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43925 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. And with the truck market still being so f'ed up, I'm even more firmly in the "drive it 'til the wheels fall off" camp.

(Or "until the body rusts through", as the case may be...)

As sigmonkey suggests, pay yourself the equivalent of a car payment each month to stick in a no-risk investment like CDs/high yield savings/I-bonds/etc., and by the time your truck is well and truly done in several more years, you'll be able to pay for a newer one in cash, interest-free, and still have money left over. Plus, the ripple effects from the pandemic will hopefully have sorted themselves out by then, and the truck market will be back closer to "normal".

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
FWIW, here’s a link to the truck my brother traded in on a new one. It’s a club cab and he decided he needed a crew cab to better fit the grandkids’ car seats, that’s why he traded. Might be more than you want to spend, but it’s like new with spray-in bed liner, “nano ceramic” window tinting (whatever that is).

2021 Ram

Posts: 13303 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I bought my 2013 Chevy pickup in June 2013 so it is 9 years old at this point, has <70,000 miles on it. My box is also popping the rust above rear wheels. Other then that it is in great shape.
At my age the appearance of the truck is not a big deal to me.
I'm 71 so I think this truck may/could be my last truck so I will run it till it, or me, quits running.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4139 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What I have found is there is a huge demand for new and slightly used vehicles. Dealers are charging a premium plus some add up charges. Trade ins they still want to stick it in and break it off.
I’m upgrading from my 2000 F250 to a 2015 next week. Finally found a good deal.
New trucks are what? $45,000-90,000? $45,000 loan is $700 per month?
If your truck is well taken care of with proper maintenance, I’d find someone who will repair the rust. Even sandblast, neutralize rust, prime and paint. Every two to three years. Auto pain stores now will match your paint color, and fill a spray can. Makes touch Ups easier.
I ended up making a pressure treated bed for my truck, and like it better than my old box!

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1131 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’d find someone who will repair the rust. Even sandblast, neutralize rust, prime and paint. Every two to three years

I wish I could.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I was able to pay my house off years early by driving a mechanically sound older vehicle and not have car payment either. That is a life changing experience.
Vehicles are a huge waste of financial resources when you own based on wants instead of needs. I've been in the automobile business and have seen most people constantly in debt to feed the monster of automotive desires. Status symbols are expensive to feed and always hungry.
I always bought trade-in's that were older but well maintained.
You'll also be buying at the top of the market right now.

I'd look around for a complete bolt on bed in your color, sourced from a southern salvage yard where we don't have any issues at all with salt & rust.

Posts: 9546 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Drive what you got, the used and new values are way out of whack still, not a buyers market. Yet

Posts: 5351 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with Rust Mort. Try that and then use some touch-up paint with primer. Not super pretty but it will save you $$$$.

Posts: 12475 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I agree with 220-9er for the most part.

The double edge sword is you will get more trade in but have to pay more for another rig now. Vs wait a bit like big Swede suggests. But at that point your vehicle will be worth less while maybe paying slightly less for another rig.

Running your rig longer (not a lot longer) you will reach the point where it is not worth much. Like at 130k what will it be worth at that point?

Maybe cap what you will spend above your vehicle value. At say $15k. See what you can get for the $30k. Shop other makes and models. There are deals out there. Regardless of what is said here. Trust me.

I am not advocating what to do. I do not like debt. Especially with what is on the horizon likely.

Re-read 220-9ers post. Then decide.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19245 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Nope. Fix or replace the bed. A new truck now is crazy pricing..if you can find one.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11308 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
It's a terrible time to buy a used car.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wait, don't buy a truck, new or used until the new car inventories are closer to normal. Prices are just ridiculous now.
btw, don't sell to Carvana, you'll get more from a dealership and you'll save on taxes, or sell to carmax. They'll offer way more than Carvana.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3546 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
btw, don't sell to Carvana, you'll get more from a dealership and you'll save on taxes, or sell to carmax. They'll offer way more than Carvana.

Carmax are not even within 5k of Carvana's offer.