SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommendations for a bathroom faucet?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for a bathroom faucet? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I have a suggestion for you. Some years ago I replaced my bathroom lavatory faucets. The mechanism that raised and lowered the stopper in each lavatory bowl was actuated by thin rods. Tiny screws had to be tightened to set the proper range of motion. They were Phillips screws. Working at an awkward angle, in dim under-counter light, it was damned hard to get them tight enough to hold for more that a few days.

Then I had a good idea: I went to Marshall's Industrial Hardware here in San Diego and bought some cap screws with the same thread pitch and about the same length. With my good close-tolerance Allen keys I was able tighten them easily. They’re still holding solidly after eight years.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess it's time for all things bathroom plumbing. Today I noticed that when I put pressure on my toilet, water seeps ever so slightly from one side of the seal. We're talking such a small amount, that when I take pressure of the toilet, the water is mostly sucked back in.

This is not me sitting on it. I am merely pressing down on one side of the bowl with my hand- perhaps 25 or 30 pounds of pressure.

So, I guess the seal is wearing out?

Fortunately, I know a good plumber but I haven't yet spoken with him.

Posts: 107597 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Well, I guess it's time for all things bathroom plumbing. Today I noticed that when I put pressure on my toilet, water seeps ever so slightly from one side of the seal. We're talking such a small amount, that when I take pressure of the toilet, the water is mostly sucked back in.

This is not me sitting on it. I am merely pressing down on one side of the bowl with my hand- perhaps 25 or 30 pounds of pressure.

So, I guess the seal is wearing out?

Fortunately, I know a good plumber but I haven't yet spoken with him.
Wax ring. Maybe five bucks at any hardware store. The kind of job that I could have done easily, ten years ago, but I'm too mobility-limited to do that sort of thing now.

Very simple job, you can find a youtube video.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I am not lifting a freaking toilet full of water.

Or dry

Or with a winch

Or not

This is why God gave us plumbers. It's in the Bible. Look it up.

Posts: 107597 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

I found it. Porcelain 18:23 Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
I like Delta stuff; never any problem with it, and long lasting.

Posts: 4587 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am not lifting a freaking toilet full of water.

Or dry

Or with a winch

Or not

LOL... amen to that! I had to replace an entire toilet about 2 years ago when a coffee mug accidentally fell into it and shattered the bowl. That sucker was HEAVY, and if I could have afforded it at the time, I definitely would have hired a plumber! I certainly never set a coffee mug on the shelf up over the toilet anymore... Big Grin

Posts: 4587 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post